Do you own, or consider owning a jump starter?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a big Schumacher. It has everything in it but a can opener... Inverter, USB charger, work light, 12 volt appliance couplings, air pump, oh, the jump starter too :)

It was silly expensive but it's bailed me out more than once and I helped friends out with it also.

I WILL NOT use my car to jump start anyone. I did once and the dead car fried my alternator and everything upstream from it. I think possibly the dead car alternator had shorted diodes sending lots of AC up the wires? Dunno but never again.

With the jump starter I don't have to be a di@k and refuse to jump someone.

Oh, for camping and times I'm away from the grid I built an 80 watt solar battery charger :) It's a bit more than a trickle charger and could easily be pressed into service whilst towing a boat, or in a vessel / vehicle in storage, useful only on sunny days of course.

https://ibb.co/mzq5VgM

LDUBS said:
Kinda sorta related. Last thing I want is to show up at the ramp with a dead battery. Do they make some kind of trickle charger from the car to the trailer/boat battery? So, the battery would get some charge, if needed, whilst towing the boat to the ramp. Not sure I"m explaining this well.

Anyway, if they don't, one of you guys should run with it and make some dough. Just share some royalties with Rich and me! :LOL2:

I wonder if you could scavenge 12 volts from the trailer light connection. Put a fuse in line and viola.

gnappi said:
LDUBS said:
Kinda sorta related. Last thing I want is to show up at the ramp with a dead battery. Do they make some kind of trickle charger from the car to the trailer/boat battery? So, the battery would get some charge, if needed, whilst towing the boat to the ramp. Not sure I"m explaining this well.

Anyway, if they don't, one of you guys should run with it and make some dough. Just share some royalties with Rich and me! :LOL2:

I wonder if you could scavenge 12 volts from the trailer light connection. Put a fuse in line and viola.

Thanks Gnappi. That almost seems too easy. Lol. I have to admit I am fairly ignorant of these kinds of things. Anyway, as Rich suggested above, I think I'm going to stick with the jump starter and not risk messing up my wiring.

With most travel trailers you are able to charge the batteries through the 7 prong trailer wiring connection. On my truck ('07 F-150) there was a specific relay you needed to pop into the fuse panel of the truck to accomplish this. I would run the refrigerator while towing on 12V power, and the charge from the truck kept the refrigerator from draining the batteries. I wouldn't think it would take much to wire up boat batteries to accept a charge from the tow vehicle through the trailer plug. How much of a charge you get from that, I'm not sure. But I doubt it's a ton.

My RAM has both a 4 and a 7 pin connector. I currently use the 4 pin plug. After reading Big Terp's comment I checked the owner's manual. Sure enough, pin #1 on the 7 pin connector is for the battery.

I still think I am better off leaving well enough alone. But, nice to know in case I change my mind in the future.

I have had a (overpriced) matco jump starter for over 4 years. It has never let me down, and I dont go on a trip without it. They are still sold under the original manufacturer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigravity-XP-10-HD-HEAVY-DUTY-Micro-Start-Jump-Starter-Diesel-650AMP-XP-1-3-10/163482539692

I keep one on both my pontoon and fishing boats, and have needed it once. In the winter I carry them in my cars.

Used mine this weekend. Toyota sequoia v8. No problem.
e742c5aa26402d41659d80601ac981fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I got stranded once with a dead battery.
Fortunately, a guy in a nearby shop had one and gave me a jump.
Hmm. Would make a nice Christmas gift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I recently purchased one that is a jump starter/air compressor. So far I really like it. Imo it's worth it to get one with a couple of 110v power outlets.

Latest posts