Sears 1436 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to get the boat on the water a few days ago. This was on a local electric only lake, so there’s not really that much to report. I was a little concerned about the weight that I’ve added but, the extra buoyancy from the sponsons made up for it, and the waterline is more of less where it was before the mods. On the plus side, the extra weight and sponsons made the boat much more stable than before. I was easily able walk around the perimeter of the platform (I’m about 170lbs). Definitely worth the work performed.

With both trolling motors wide open, I was able to reach a blistering 4.5 mph. Not bad, but not quite enough to get any hydrofoil effects. At this point, it will probably be early next year before I can get it on the river with the gas engine, and really see how it performs. I’ll check back then, hopefully with some video.

I was able to reach a blistering 4.5 mph. Not bad,

Not bad at all, Haha.

Glad to hear that the sponsons really paid off with improved stability. I look forward to hear how the hull performs when you get it out with the big motor.

It's certainly hard to believe that is only a 14/36.
It looks much bigger in the pictures.
I wish I had your skills. The boat and decking looks REALLY nice!
With that 25, it should do somewhat better than 4.5 mph! LOL

Drothgeb said:
I managed to get the boat on the water a few days ago. This was on a local electric only lake, so there’s not really that much to report. I was a little concerned about the weight that I’ve added but, the extra buoyancy from the sponsons made up for it, and the waterline is more of less where it was before the mods. On the plus side, the extra weight and sponsons made the boat much more stable than before. I was easily able walk around the perimeter of the platform (I’m about 170lbs). Definitely worth the work performed.

With both trolling motors wide open, I was able to reach a blistering 4.5 mph. Not bad, but not quite enough to get any hydrofoil effects. At this point, it will probably be early next year before I can get it on the river with the gas engine, and really see how it performs. I’ll check back then, hopefully with some video.

Nice job with the sponsons. I think, if you had 10 trolling motors, you would still not get over 5mph. The prop pitch on trolling motors aren't made for speed. If someone made a replacement trolling motor prop with a higher pitch, you would get more speed - but I've never seen such a thing.

maintenanceguy said:
Nice job with the sponsons. I think, if you had 10 trolling motors, you would still not get over 5mph. The prop pitch on trolling motors aren't made for speed. If someone made a replacement trolling motor prop with a higher pitch, you would get more speed - but I've never seen such a thing.

I currently have a 112 lb thrust trolling motor with a high speed Kipawa prop currently mounted on the boat, it does 4.9 mph. Adding the 55 lb mounted on the transom gets me to 5.1-5.2 mph.

VTCrestliner said:
Have you run it since with the Johnson 25?

Yes I have. With just me in it, it will do 25 mph. With a second person, it’s more like 22-23 mph. It does ride on the sponsons at top speed. But, they also act as a fixed rudder, so it’s not the best turning high speeds. All in all, I’m very happy with it, except…. when I use it on the Potomac. Just too rocky in the areas I want to use it.

Finally got tired of beating it up, and had a boat built locally to my specs, especially to handle the rocks. It’s a 21’ center console, .190” hull with 1/2” UHMW, 250hp inboard jet, 112 Ulterra with 36v lithium battery. It’s awesome on the river, and big enough to use on the Chesapeake Bay when the Rockfish are around.

Attachments

• DF69ADED-26F8-4B94-BE28-E29A1A28AFE9.jpeg
    DF69ADED-26F8-4B94-BE28-E29A1A28AFE9.jpeg
    986.6 KB · Views: 272

Latest posts