Filling transom holes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d-camarena

Reaction score
Im about ready to install my mew transom on my project but the po drilled holes for lights, transducer etc... i dont need the. Theres 10 holes total to plug, since the transom wood backs up to them I cant plug them with bolts and nuts.
Ive been thinking of drilling thru the transom and putting bolts with nylock nuts and some 5200.
Or using jb weld to seal holes and them sanding it down.

I need some feedback

I used a countersink bit to give the holes a slight bevel on both sides then used JB weld with an aluminum backer. I made a set of long reach clamps to hold the backer in place while the JB weld cured.

If you plan on keeping the boat, it might be worth having a weld shop weld the patches on from the inside. You can notch the plywood where the patches are to allow the new plywood to lay flush. JB weld then could be the filler on the outside.

I had the same thing on my boat.
I just drilled through the transom wood and used the bolts for re-inforcing the transom.
I also added a motor support piece of plywood on the back of the boat

1960 yellowboat said:
I had the same thing on my boat.
I just drilled through the transom wood and used the bolts for re-inforcing the transom.
I also added a motor support piece of plywood on the back of the boat

I think thats my best solution, they are in the middle so it might actually help reinforce

Latest posts