New mercury 40hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any recommendations on gauge wire when moving start battery up front I’m thinking 2-4 gauge it’s 12 ft run

Any recommendations on gauge wire when moving start battery up front I’m thinking 2-4 gauge it’s 12 ft run

Johnsk said:
Probably 4ga would do it.. I usually buy a set of booster cables and cut the ends off.. if you get a decent set on sale it's cheaper than buying the wire individually.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
Johnsk said:
Probably 4ga would do it.. I usually buy a set of booster cables and cut the ends off.. if you get a decent set on sale it's cheaper than buying the wire individually.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Yep, that is what I did.

OK, I guess this is total hearsay. I read somewhere (probably on TB.net) to be careful about converting jumper cables to permanent use. The issue is that some use copper covered aluminum conductors and are only intended for momentary loads. As my kids might say, sorry to be a buzz kill.

I've used jumper cables for years. Starting a small outboard is a small momentary load, smaller than any car. And the charging current is low. Might be different on a larger motor.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I've used jumper cables for years. Starting a small outboard is a small momentary load, smaller than any car. And the charging current is low. Might be different on a larger motor.

Thanks Weldor. My memory was bad. What I thought I remembered turned out to be a caution about using cheap jumper cables for continuous duty on a trolling motor. I guess the cheap ones can get hot and melt away the thin plastic insulation. Anyway, sorry guys for the incorrect info.

It's something to keep in mind. A bad connection can cause heat as well. A couple boats ago I used jumper cable wire to run a bow trolling motor with the battery at the back. It worked fine but it was only a 30lb thrust 12v motor. I imagine once you get into higher thrust motors you'd better spend a little more on booster cables. I usually look at the size wire coming from the factory on either trolling motor or outboard and let that be my guide for minimum size.

E06DCA85-38FD-467C-A9C6-6212E8025F9F.png

Attachments

• E20D07C2-A85C-4B50-9A9C-5E4596DF2904.png
    E20D07C2-A85C-4B50-9A9C-5E4596DF2904.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 419
  • 68B26C03-9114-4E7E-B23F-68124CB19CAF.png
    68B26C03-9114-4E7E-B23F-68124CB19CAF.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 419
Didn’t mean to post 3x’s but this is a good guide from mercury for extending battery cables

That's cool. Here in Ontario, princess auto (our harbor freight) has 20' 4ga cables on for 21.99. Think I'm going to pick some up.

Latest posts