14ft Monark Jon Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Jones

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently bought a 14-36-18 Jon boat in fair condition but I want to make a few changes. I will attach pictures later tonight when I get home but for now I will explain it and what I am looking to do.

The boat came set up really well for Crappie fishing but that is not all I want to use it for. I have already gutted it and bought a new foot controlled trolling motor. Also, it had a horrible spray paint job so the last few days I have been stripping and cleaning it to get ready for a paint job.

It is funny how thing work out! I mentioned to a buddy I was going to paint the boat I just bought and he said his dad just finished up painting a truck with a double epoxy scratch resistant paint that cost $1200 a gallon. Anyways, he said he may have some left so I called his dad. I am taking it today and should have it back by Saturday night. How awesome is that!

I really need help with the deck I want to build. I bought a couple of aluminum angle but I am returning it today. It is just too expensive and if my wife found out I was spending that much.......well you catch the drift. After reading several of your articles I have decided to go with non-treated 2x2. I am going to need advice on anything you can think of. I know a lot of times I will do something and realize "man I wish I would have added this or knew I could do it this way".

I will post as many pictures as possible because I know how much seeing yours have helped me already. Thanks in advance for all the help.

welcome to the site, i just joined a couple weeks ago and almost have my 12' vee finished, but wont have any pictures up until this weekend. i used 2x2s, and to save weight i ran across the front and back of the benches, and then secured my frame to that, solid as can be and not a lot of lumber.

If possible I would like to see some pictures of your boat. I was thinking of doing that but didn't know if it would make my deck too high.

i'll post them this weekend. i wanted my deck to run across the tops of front and middle seats, so i put the cross beams on the side of the seats with their tops 1 1/2 inches below the seat top, then ran other 2x2s on top of those between the seats, running fore and aft, the seats carry all the weight that way and my deck rests on top of the benches, used half inch birch plywood and it is solid as concrete and very light. also have hatches cut into the deck and does not flex at all. i know its hard to picture without photos so i will be sure to post them, i dont have internet at home so have to do it at work. i also decked from rear bench back to the transom, and put in a lower, flat floor between middle and rear bench. best bet is to spend a whole lotta time thinking it through, and consider all options, i had lots of plans on paper and had to make lots of changes as i went. that is one great thing about this site, seeing all your options and adapting your own. everyone is friendly too so just keep asking questions.

I have another question? Has anyone ever rhinolined the entire inside of a boat? do you like it? is it worth it? what are the cons and pros? any suggestions would be great.

When researching I found this site. It seems to be the best deal. I think :?

https://sprayonbedliners.info/order.htm

seen mixed opinions about it, top right of the page is a search box, type in bed liner and you should get all the posts that talk about it

Nick Jones said:
I have another question? Has anyone ever rhinolined the entire inside of a boat? do you like it? is it worth it? what are the cons and pros? any suggestions would be great.

The boat I'm working on came with some kind of spray-in bedliner in it (not sure what kind). I'm sure it was pretty old by the time I got it. That being said, it had become pretty dry and brittle. I was able to pull most of it out by hand.

Between my experience and reading on this forum, my best guess is that it may help stop some links in the short-term, but probably won't do much in the long run. If you want it just as a coating for the floor, it will probably work fine for that. Also, consider that bedliner (especially black colored) will probably get pretty hot in the summer sun . . .

i go for the rubberized undercoating on mine. it will stick to anything, and makes a nice coushin/ sound dead'nr between the aluminum and framing or carpet. it would only be a temperary fix for a leak or seap. try spreading some sealent over your seap, if it doesnt fix it put'cha a new rivit in

i only spray'd the undercoating on mine where it would be cover'd. dont want to be fishin on an oven

My Triton has a factory spray in liner. I love it. It is an OD green base color and is a whole lot cooler than the painted surfaces in the summer, even though they are the same color. It is fantastic for footing, sound deadening and floor protection if that is what you are looking for but I would not use it as a quick fix solution for hull leaks.

You don't have to settle for spray liners in just black anymore. They are offered in many colors and can even be matched to the paint color of the tow vehicle. :wink:

Thanks for the replys! The boat does not leak. I was thinking it would make it more durable but if most of your's have not bonded well then I will save my money and steer clear.

The link I attached does offer a bunch of colors though.

Here are some pics from the day I bought the boat and while I was prepping it for a spray down!

Dropped the boat off with my buddy already. Will have some pic's with new color maybe tomorrow but no later than Saturday

Attachments

• boat 001.jpg
    boat 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 18,485
  • boat 002.jpg
    boat 002.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 18,481
  • boat 005.jpg
    boat 005.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 18,488
  • boat 047.jpg
    boat 047.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 18,484
  • boat 053.jpg
    boat 053.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 18,488
This is the sprayliner in my boat. It is wall to wall all of the way over the rails (except for the console).

IMG_0934.jpg

Yeah, I bought it for nothing from an old man that had 3 others. Hopefully it will be even better when I and all of you at tinboats.net get through with it. The pic's are in reverse order!

I beg that everyone gives their ideas and opinions. I want to make sure I don't leave anything out.

Your gonna get tired of me quick!

I have two questions:

How thick does the plywood need to be for the decking? I would like to make it as thin as possible but still want it to be real durable.

What do I use to mount the 2x2's to the ribs? I had planned on using what PBW used (see link) but wanted to make sure I didn't get the wrong thing. ex steel, zinc etc.. The reason I say this is because I have read a lot of people stating that it is hard to find stainless steel stuff.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?album=66&pos=74

atleast half inch, that's what i used, but i didn't have a span over 12inches anywhere. so depending on your frame layout you may need 3/4inch to go longer spans. as far as fasteners go best bet is to bite the bullet and buy stainless, not the cheapest way but seems like the best way.

OK, I MUST WARN YOU!

I may repaint it but for now I am really enjoying the wow factor. The friend that painted it told me if I wanted to camo it he would do it for me if i bought the paint. I think he didn't think I liked it.

I also know most of you are like my friends and are going to say "why the heck did you paint it that color". Lets just say when i go across the lake i want them to say 'there goes Jones".

Anyways, Tell me if you DO or DON'T like it!

Quick note:
The guy that painted it gave me some carpet to redue my bunks and also told me he would do my trailer in the next couple of weeks (for free) if I prepped it.

Attachments

• boat 058.jpg
    boat 058.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 5,228
  • boat 059.jpg
    boat 059.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 5,226
  • boat 060.jpg
    boat 060.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5,227
  • boat 061.jpg
    boat 061.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5,224
  • boat 062.jpg
    boat 062.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 5,224
thanks man! I figure next winter I will repaint it black but until then I can tell I will be at the car wash a lot.

The wife has given me a free pass this weekend so I should have the deck support posted tomorrow.

I agree with Joe about the two minor problems, but the boat looks great! I happen to love the "wow factor", just click the link in my signature and skip down to the last two pics. It is a great conversation starter, and you don't have to worry about anyone stealing it, everyone could tell you which way it went! IF you do decide to repaint it, remember how hot black gets in the summer sun.

Quick Question??????????

I have some scrap plywood laying around and (this may sound stupid) wanted to know if there is a way to tell if it is treated.

Latest posts