'67 14' Alumacraft Shallow V and Trailer remodel.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input Mike. I like that idea. I didn't think about making hte cooler removeable to haul the fish for cleaning.

Ponders for a few moments on how to make it easily removeable......................

Free thinking.
I cuold use on piece of 3/4" plywood for the top and anchor teh seat to that, use 4 maybe 6 clamps to hold it in place. Then remove it when its time to pull the cooler out.

What to do with the fill line and drain hose?
Hmmm. a union fitting for the fill line would be quick and easy. wonder if I could get the parts to install a union fitting for the drain and overflow too, and still fit within my space?

I have to do some more research. Thansk Mike for the idea. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of carrying the cooler at the end of the day. Then I dont have to bring a seperate bucket, that would be one less thing to carry. I like carrying less stuff. =D>

I did some research and a bunch of thinking. I am not going to make the livewell removeable. I couldn't find quick connectors that suited my needs, and it would take too much effort to rework the current box.

I did manage to get some things done this week. I marked my battery/lliverwell/electrical control center location on the floor. Pulled th floor up and roughed in the plumbing and electrical conduit.

The large white hose is my livewell drain hose.
The smaller white pipe is my livewell fill line.
The large grey pipe is for the sonar wire, it has a big connector.
The 4 grey conduit is for my electrical wires.
2 pipes are for the trolling motor wires, one towards the stern and the other bow.
Last 2 pipes are for the rest of the electrical wires, one bow and one stern.

3-28-09 001.jpg
3-28-09 002.jpg
3-28-09 003.jpg
3-28-09 004.jpg

Part 2 of tonights update.

I cleaned up the sawdust and dropped in the floor one last time. I think its in there until it rots away.

Here are some pics of the top side.

3-28-09 005.jpg
3-28-09 006.jpg
3-28-09 007.jpg
3-28-09 008.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to stain, polyurathane, and paint the remaining parts. Things should move quickly now. I want to get out on the water next weekend. We'll see how close we get.

Surprise.

We ended up getting the 5" of snow last night. It's been 50+ degrees for the past week -10 days, and last night it dumped 5" of heavy wet snow. That may slow down the drying time. I do work in my attached garage, however it doesn't have any insulation in the ceiling or the overhead door. I do have a small gas furnace in there. It does just enough to take the chill out. I left it run all night in hopes it would keep the garage 50+ so I can stain, and paint at least.

Thanks Waterwings.

I spent a lot of time in the design phase hashing out how to run the plumbing and electrical, even before I decided on the floor layout. I wanted a simple, easy to use system. Electrical wiring can get complicated real quick all by itself. I reallly liked the vertical 2x4 floor support system for the ease of installing the conduit, and the plumbing runs.

Little break down on the electical plan while the polyurathane dries, second coat.

Small lawn mower battery will power my fishfinder, all around light, and nav light. That's it.
+ terminal block will have
+ battery wire to feed power to the block,
Fishfinder
All around light switch ( when this switch is on it will power the all around light and provide power to the navigation lights switch. Flip on that switch and the nav lights (red/green lights on the bow) will come on. Two switches to do the same thing as a Douple pole switch.

- terminal block will have,
Battery -
fishfinder
all around light switch (lighted switch)
all around light
nav light switch (lighted switch)
nav light

Main battery will feed power to the trolling motor and 4 gange fused lighted switch panel. Teh switch panle will feed the accessory outlets, cabin lights, bilge pump, and livewell pump.

Battery + terminal block will have
Battery +
Fused switch panel (feeds power to the lighted switches and thier components).
bilge pump float switch (seperate 10 amp fuse)

Battery - terminal block will have
battery -
fused switch panel
cabin lights
accessory outlets bow
accessory outlets stern
livewell pump,
bilge pump

Trolling motor will be feed directly off the battery via a circuit breaker.
Bilge pump float switch will be hot all the time, if the boat takes on water the pump will turn on automatically. With the manual switch I can turn the pump on manually as well. Redundant system for safety.

As for the wiring and fuses.
Trolling motor wires and wires feeding the terminal blocks will be stranded 8 gauge wire.
Navigation lights and all around light- 2 amp fuse, 16 gauge wire
Fishfinder- 1 amp fuse, 16 gauge wire
Cabin lights- 5 amp fuse 16 gauge wire
Livewell pump- 5 amp fuse, 16 gauge wire
Bilge pump- 2 amp fuse, 16 gauge wire
Bilge pump float switch- 5 amp fuse, 16 gauge wire
Accessory outlets- 10 amp fuse 14 gauge wire

I drew up a diagram, however I get a file is too big error message. Its too late to fart around with it tonight. I'll try to post it tomorrow night.

You should see it now. I stained the transom, and exposed panels a nice red mahagony colored stain, and covered it with 2 coats of exterior semi-gloss polyurathane. They look pretty sweet.

I might put a thrid coat on tomorrow night. I also have a couple of boards I need to paint yet, plus I have some more carpet to lay. Tuesday and Wednesay I have to finish up the polyurathane and painting. Gives me Thursday and Friday nights to assemble, terminate my electrical, hook up the plumbing, hang the motor, hang the trolling motor, and anything else. I am still planning to fish out of her Saturday. Weather man says its going to be 60 and sunny. No way I am going to miss that... :fishing:

Update 3/31/09 or is it really 4/1?

Well things are moving along nicely, only wish there were more hours in a night.

I manged to pull the wire I had, made a shopping list of things to get, and installed the front deck. I stuffed all the foam from the old front bench seat except for a few small chunks, than filled up all the voids with a can of expanding foam.

Pardon the construction mess, no time to clean up.

3-31-09 001.jpg
3-31-09 002.jpg
3-31-09 003.jpg
3-31-09 004.jpg

4/2/09 Update:

Progress is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...........................

I spent the last two nights on the electrical, painting, and touching up polyurathane.

I only have two pics for tonights update, both of the electrical control center.

First set of studs on the left are for the trolling motor wiring and powered by the main battery. The far left stud holds the circuit breaker. This way I can move the motor from bow to stern and get juice. Maybe one day I'll have the money to add a second trolling motor. If I do then it will be a simple upgrade in the electrical contorl center, add a second circuit breaker. The wire is already there.

Center set of studs is for the lawn mower battery and it only powers the fishfinder and Navigation lights. I added a blue lighted switch to the switch panel for the navigation lights. I wanted a different color so I know without a doubt if they are on.

Right set of studs is powered by the main battery. This provides power to the cabin lights, accessory outlets, bilge pump, and livewell pump. I have two fuses feeding the bilge pump, one through the bilge pump switch, and one for the bilge pump. With constant power to teh bilge pump float switch it doesn't matter if the bilge pump switch is on. Once the float gets high enough to pass power it will power the bilge pump. If I notice water in teh bilge area I can flip the siwtch turning on the motor as needed. My next upgrade to the livewell will be a timer.

Couple of other things. I have a spare wire running to the bow and the stern. This way if I want to add something later, I already have the wire, just need to make the connections in the contorl center. For example when I add a bow mounted fishfinder I already have the wires ran.

4-2-09 001.jpg
4-02-09 002.jpg

This is what it will look like with the door closed.
I still have to add the top piece.

4-02-09 001.jpg

Update 4/2/09 part 1 of 3.

Well I pulled a marathone night last night. Fisnished up the family obligations around 8:00pm. Than got to work on the boat. Sometime aroun 12:30am I made a run to Wally World looking for a livewell thru hull fitting, bilge pump thru hull fitting, and a screen for the livewell pump. They didn't ahve any of them. I did pick up a new filter system for my 55 gallon aquarium, the old one has been acting up lately. Oh yea I also picked up a whistle for the boat.

The original transom had a thin sheet of cork board behind it. I figured that was to deaden sounds and maybe too provide a water tight seal for the bolt holes. I had a can of underbody rubber coating and figured, what the hell. It should provvide sound deadening, and waterproofing just as well if not better than the cork.
4-04-09 002.jpg

4-04-09 004.jpg

4-04-09 005.jpg

Not only did I run out of energy, I ran out of contact cement, had no thru hull fittings, needed some more bolts, and other odds and ends. I came inside to wait 15 minutes before heading to Lowes, they open at 6:00am.

I woke up at 10:30am to my son telling me its time to get up.

Update part 2 for tonight.

So I get my supplies at Lowes and decided to try a local marina. I pulled in as the guy was leaving, he opened back up and cut me a hell of a deal on the parts I needed.

So back to the boat. I recruited my son to help. He's attending college for electrical engineering, I figured he could do all the electrical terminaions at teh devices. It was great to have his help today. I also taught him how to creat a hinged seat lock, and showed him a few other things.

4-04-09 008.jpg
4-04-09 009.jpg

4-04-09 007.jpg

Alright. I promised myself I would get her out on the water today. Granted it was for only 2 hours. However I got to check a few things out.

The livewell doesn't leak, however the pump can exceed the drain hose and I need to lower the top of the drain hose about an 1".
I didn't complete teh project and still ahve some items left on my punch list. I still need to carpet and install the front deck hatches, install teh front deck door, install the all-around light, install the cabin night lights, add the fishing pole holders, reinforce the gunwalls, install the rear storage boxes.

I didn't get the main motor to run, so I have to spend time on that. However the boat sits nice an level with my son and I. Trolling motor still moves us along very well. I can still hold my position with the transom facing a 10mph wind and the trolling motor on its lowest setting.

On to the pics.
4-04-09 012.jpg

4-04-09 010c.jpg

Well, what do you think of it so far?

your boat looks superb, only thing that strikes me is that your switch panel is by your livewell?? Are you worried about getting it wet? I know I'd be, but just a little curious

Thanks!

Naw, I am not really worried about it. The fish finder is waterproof, and the lid over the elecrical will keep it dry enough. I may have to extend the lid over the front of the door so it doesn't drip onto the switches, however they are marine switches and not too many boats have them protected from the elements from the factory. If it does become a problem, I'll find a solution.

Even if I do get a huge splash of water from teh livewell ,most of it will hit the lid and flow away. If any does manage to get between the livewell and hte lid it then has to seep over the board holding the connectors. Plus that board is stained, and two coats of polyurathane, and butts up tight to the lid. Even if the backside of that board gets wet, it wont droip onto the switch panel. Only way for the electrical connectors to short out from water is if that area is full of water, and if that happens I'll be looking for my lifejacket and whistle. That means the boat is full of water.

Thanks for the question and the concern. I'll let you all know how it goes after the first rain storm. :mrgreen:

I'm pretty new here and just found your build. I must say, this has been a most entertaining build. Great pics & tips. Nice craftsmanship. I've laid out my 14' deep-vee six times so far. I think, like you, just start and let it evolve from there. I've read here that some think it's a bad idea to cut out the seats because of hull stability. Did you find this to be a problem? You started with less than I have and you made something out of it. =D> Good luck!!
Thanks for some new ideas.

=D> =D> Nice work Hanr3. Looks like you have put a lot of thought and hard work into your project. Nice touch on the transom adds a little nostalgea to it. I'm kicking around some ideas for a livewell myself do you have some more detailed pics of the livewell plumbing at the well and the transom?

Dave

Thanks and yes I put a lot of thought into it. Space is at a premium on a small narrow boat.

You guys had a couple of requests.

Hopefully these pics will help you out.
4-07-09 001.jpg

Open up the front seat base to gain access to the batteries.
4-07-09 007.jpg

I also have access to the livewell water supply side from teh battery compartment.
4-07-09 002.jpg

Pic of the water supply side.
4-07-09 003.jpg

Drain side.
4-07-09 004.jpg

Part 2
5 pic limit.

Drain side.
4-07-09 005.jpg

I drilled two holes in the transom for my livewell.
1 hole for the livewell pump, and the other hole for the livewell drain. I used a 1 1/2" bi-metal hole saw. Wish I would have had a 1" holesaw for the pump, however the pump fittings are big enough to cover the 1 1/2" hole. I used aquarium sealant around both sides of both holes.

4-07a-09 002.jpg

I haven't cut the livewell pump tube shorter yet. I still need to pick up a strainer that goes over the end of the tube to keep crap out of the pump and livewell.
4-07a-09 003.jpg
4-07a-09 004.jpg

Someone asked about how I plan to strengthen the gunwalls after removing the bench seats? It's a valid question and on everyones mind when they rework a boat.

The floatation box replaces what used to be the rear bench seat. I posted pics earlier.

As for the sides, space is a huge concern for me. This is where I have to point out a few things. I like to Crappie fish over brush piles. Anchor up, and fish off the Port side (left) side of the boat. I figure all the action will be on the port side, hence the lievwell opening on that side too. I plan to put my fishing pole rack on the starboard side, out of the way of the action. Last thing I need is a hook in the leg, or to break a pole.

This is my solution for the starboard side.
4-07-09 006.jpg
4-07a-09 001.jpg

I decided not to use the original brackets. Instead I fashioned up some new brackets from 1 1/4" angle aluminum. I riveted the brackets in place. I will attach my fishing pole holders to the brackets.

As for the port side, still working on that. I might make cup holders, or paddle brackets on that side, or maybe just put in the same style brackets and put carpet on them?

Latest posts