Ripped Off on Craigslist (my fault...)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
So I drove 6 hours 'round trip for the jon of my dreams yesterday. A 1436, with a minn kota 40lb, battery, anchor buddy and anchor, oars, and others for 400 bucks. From the pictures, I could tell it needed paint BAD, but I was happy it was peeling because it would save me some work because I'm painting it red anyways.

So after a 3 hour drive, I got there, and they boat looked just like the pictures. As we loaded it on the trailer, it seemed a little narrow, especially because I had widened the bunks the night before, to allow for a boat bigger than my 1032. I didn't really think anything of it tho, because it was advertised as a 1436, and all of the other descriptions had been accurate.

Long story short, got it home, and its 31 inches across the bottom.

I had big plans for this boat, and they crumbled before my eyes and I looked at the tape measure. A deck is out of the question, and my storage planning will have to wait.

I'm not going to let it get to me tho, I'm just changing gears a bit. It's still a great boat, and a good find, just not as wide as I would have liked. I'm going to put a low deck it, just above the ribs, and I'm still going to polish it up good. I'm starting a conversion thread, so keep an eye out, as it should be interesting.

I attached a picture, so you guys can laugh and say "Oh I would have known that was a 1432 all along!" Hindsight bias is a great phenomenon. lol

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,548
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,549
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,549
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,954
Since you had high hopes on a 1436, I doubt you will ever be happy with that. Every time you use it you will think of how much better things would have been had you gotten a 1436. My suggestion is to resell it, to get your money back out of it, and continue searching for the right hull.

Ouch! That blow man, but I have to admit it would have probably fooled me as well. I doubt I would have thought to bring a tape measure. Nice looking boat though. There's nothing wrong about a low deck. As long as it's safe and it gets you on the water, it's all good. Look forward to seeing your progress.

I got ripped on Craigslist last year as well. Made a deal with a guy on a 1436 and he turned around and sold it to someone else the day I was supposed to pick it up.

. . . "with a minn kota 40lb, battery, anchor buddy and anchor, oars, and others for 400 bucks. . . " I Don't Know What Your "Others" Items Are, But Looks Like You Got About Half Your Money Back In Parts Already Towards This Project, Or If You Resell Just This Boat, Towards Your Next Project Boat. Not A Total Rip-Off, Just A Lesson For You And The Rest Of Us To Take A Tape Measure, Maybe Even A Flashlight To The Next Purchase. If You Had The Tape, You MIGHT Have Got Him Down In Price Some Or Just Driven Away To Keep Looking For Another One.

I wasn't ripped off but understand what you are going through. I bought a boat for $300 on CL and then decided, "I need more boat." I went ahead and just painted and redid the transom, and then sold it when I found something else that better suited my needs. I did learn to always double check everything and think before I rush into a purchase. I think if you polish her up, you could make a few bucks. Although $400 is not too much, it's enough to be a bit resentful. I wouldn't scrap your plans for another boat, just upgrade again. And if you don't, I'm sure this will be great for you as well!

Thanks for the support guys. I'm sort of using this as an excuse to be a practice run, and to save a little money. I'm not going to wire anything up or get too creative, I'm just going to make it nice so I'm comfortable on the water for the next year or two. Hopefully then I can turn around and resell it for a decent profit.

I should also mention that I should my 1032 for JUST the boat for 325 (I purchased it about a month ago with a really nice trailer for 400.) so for 75 bucks I got a TM, anchor, and 4 feet of more boat. I guess thats why I'm not TOO bummed.

I wouldn't stop at a 1436 either, get a 1448 and be done with it.

Still the little guy looks more stable than a canoe.
Jamie

Latest posts