Custom Flat 1654...under construction -Complete! 10/24

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rellis1962

Reaction score
Just bought a fine Al boat. It is a 1994 Custom Flat 1654. Boat has never been in the water. Boat and trailer are the same age. Boat and trailer has been stored outdoors but has no real adverse effects except some oxidation on the primer and dry rot tires.
I am in the planning stage and have several questions.

1. I would like to add a pedestal seat on the front casting platform and maybe a storage hatch. How can I make sure I don't cut into deck support ribs.
2. Live well solutions?
3. Gas can/tank solutions? Bow/Stern? Permanent/portable?
4. Floor material? Thought about aluminum but is expensive.
5. Interior finish? some sort of rubberized spray in Liner (speedliner) is what is currently on my mind.
6. Exterior finish, if any? Someone suggested Perfection paint from Sherwin Williams.

I have been looking around the internet and found some good ideas. I am not looking to make this the ultimate fishing vessel, just something functional and convenient.

Attachments

• Al Boat 017.jpg
    Al Boat 017.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 7,658
  • Al Boat 018.jpg
    Al Boat 018.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 7,658
  • Al Boat 019.jpg
    Al Boat 019.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 7,658
  • Al Boat 023.jpg
    Al Boat 023.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 7,658
just drive to moultrie ga and trade me boats...mine is about 90% done and its all aluminum

Man that thing looks stout. If you haven't done so already, go through the mods on here.

Welcome aboard. That boat has a lot of potential.
1. I would extend the front deck and put the seat mount on the extension. I would use a holesaw and cut a hole in the casting deck and try to look inside for the supports. Then you should know where or where not to cut but I wouldnt think a jigsaw blade would cut deep enough to get a rib.
2.I would build a portable livewell out of a cooler unless you will use it every time out.
3.6 gallon plastic tank behind rear bench if theres room.
4.Money is the determining issue here. If you dont want to spend alot then good ole plywood.
I prefer paint on the inside and out.

Trying to decide where to put the battery(s) for the trolling motor and other accessories. I guess they need to be close to the tolling motor. That means somewhere on/in the front deck. Is there a box of some sort that can be used to house them. I am not against cutting holes in the front deck to accomodate the bats. But would like a good quality container to insert into the holes to contain the battery(s). Also would consider building something just aft of the deck in between the front deck and the first floor rib.

Attachments

• Al Boat 018.jpg
    Al Boat 018.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 7,514
Rellis, I merged you topic into you conversion thread, If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them in the boat house... :)

There are battery boxes, but I think they're a little pointless. I prefer the monting plates that secure the battery with a strap. Makes it a lot easier to pull it out to charge, and I've never had any problems with mine coming loose in rough chop doing 25..

I like the area just aft of your current deck. I'd lay something on the ribs to act as a floor, frame out the area and extend your current deck back to cover the battery area, then use a long hatch, or two smaller ones to access the batteries.

dyeguy1212 said:
There are battery boxes, but I think they're a little pointless. I prefer the monting plates that secure the battery with a strap. Makes it a lot easier to pull it out to charge, and I've never had any problems with mine coming loose in rough chop doing 25..

Battery boxes aren't just to secure the battery, they prevent lead/acid from coming in contact with the hull if by chance the case were to split (which they do). Also, batteries can be overcharged such as the result of a defunct onboard charger, and will boil the acid out of them.

The reason the cases and boxes are made of plastic and not metal.

So the boat is a 94 model.

What's it's story? Where has it been for the past 15 or so years?

Great lookin' platform.
Can't wait to see what goodies / ideas you've got planned.

If ya wanna sell it, Ill come get it... This boat has tons of options it could go.. Looks like a tracker to me, what brand is it? Maybe i missed that part..

Bugpac said:
.. Looks like a tracker to me, what brand is it? Maybe i missed that part..

It's a "Custom Flat", manufactured by Custom Boat Mfg., Inc.. They are a custom aluminum boat builder in south Louisiana.

https://www.customboatmfg.com/index.html

Here are the spec on that particular model:

54" Bottoms - 0.100 Gauge Hull Thickness
Model Length Beam Weight Sides
1654 H 16' 82" 403 24"

I only know this because I have one very similar to it, a 1649. Getting ready to start a new thread on mine soon.

Brine said:
I like the area just aft of your current deck. I'd lay something on the ribs to act as a floor, frame out the area and extend your current deck back to cover the battery area, then use a long hatch, or two smaller ones to access the batteries.

dyeguy1212 said:

Battery boxes aren't just to secure the battery, they prevent lead/acid from coming in contact with the hull if by chance the case were to split (which they do). Also, batteries can be overcharged such as the result of a defunct onboard charger, and will boil the acid out of them.

The reason the cases and boxes are made of plastic and not metal.

Sorry, coming from an AGM guy. 8)

I am the 3rd owner. Original owner bought, it put a motor on it, and the motor turned out to be bad. He never got around to getting another motor for it. He sold it to the next guy who, soon after, decided he wanted something bigger. Sat around all those years and never saw water. The second owner is a friend of mine and has been trying to sell it to me for a couple of years. He originally wanted 2k and even though I am sure it is worth it, I was not willing to spend that much for just a hull and trailer. He called me recently and said I could have boat and trailer for 1200 and I pulled the trigger. Glad to get all that info about the boat from previous poster. I was wondering how much it weighed.

rellis1962 said:
He originally wanted 2k and even though I am sure it is worth it, I was not willing to spend that much for just a hull and trailer. He called me recently and said I could have boat and trailer for 1200 and I pulled the trigger.

Then you stole it if it is in like new condition. The hull itself sells for around $2800 if you went to buy one just like it today.

rellis1962 said:
1. I would like to add a pedestal seat on the front casting platform and maybe a storage hatch. How can I make sure I don't cut into deck support ribs.

I checked mine tonight, and starting at the back of the deck, it is 12" forward before you run into the first cross brace. My boat has a hatch on the back side of the deck, and a seat base welded on.

What do you wanna store up front? That may be the way to go, just add a hatch to the backside, I have storage in my front deck from the top, and i really wish i didnt..

I have about decided to extend the deck and put a live well, batteries and ped seat in/on the extended part. That will leave plenty of unmolested deck space for standing and trolling motor. Like I said, I am still in the planning stag but am thinking about 2x2 square Al tubing as framing material and Al plating for deck material. May use ply for deck if I can't find the right stuff at this really big scrap yard here in Houston. A lot of variables to think about on this project. I struggle with quality/cost issues. I want it to be nice and quality but would like to keep the cost of the project somewhere in the reasonable range. The boat itself is such high quality, it is hard to think about doing anything to it that is not top notch. Example: I ordered a nice aluminum live well today. I said I didn't want the ultimate fishing rig but I may have spoke too soon.

Latest posts