89' GameFisher 14' V MOD "Kinda Finished"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftingrz

Reaction score
this is my 5th "vessel" over the last few years and only my 2nd Tin.. first was a short project that sold shortly after i worked on it...

anyways this is the first one with a running outboard.. hadnt originally planned on buying motor with this boat.. but after seeing a buddy spend $600 to get his old mercury in good running order.. i jumped on this mint Johnson 1990 (J10RESC) it runs Awesome

as you can see it came with some "decking".. nothing more than rotted plywood layed across the ribs and screwed into them.. also had 7" pedestals mounted in the CENTER of the benches... dont understand that at all in the rear.. i ripped it off at the boatramp before taking it out on its first trip..

as of now its all stripped out. ive had it in the Chattahoochie nearly daily since the weather has finally been nice.. trying to figure out how i like the weight balanced between seats/battery and gas tank. i have 1 deck inbetween 2 of the benches that i have had in there testing out its height and stability.. and with 400+lbs of flesh along with fishing gear and 6gallon steel tank and batteries im planing out nice and running 19mph average at WOT. took some tinkering with the trim as it just plowed through the water how it was setup when i got it at about 11mph...

anyways enough ranting for now. heres some pictures of where i am progress wise.. sun finally went into hiding again today so when the rain lets up this week im gonna do my best to avoid the temptation of the river and get to work.. i have a brand new Lowrance Elite 4x DSI and a minn kota edge 45lb trolling motor that ive had for a while never used from another project i have... and they are destined to live on the Tin

2012-05-04_18-41-38_868.jpg

2012-05-04_18-41-46_371.jpg

2012-05-04_18-41-52_538.jpg

2012-05-04_18-42-42_179.jpg

i stripped the carpet and wood out after my first trip out what a night mare the carpet residue and glue have been grinding out.. stuff is like concrete.. im making progress... still got more to do before i paint hte inside

2012-05-06_17-26-03_685.jpg

2012-05-08_17-58-30_769.jpg

Hey that's my boat, well one like it. I'll be interested in seeing what you go with it.

rain is gone hopefully for a while.. time to put the hammer down. cut out the middle bench today and grinded away at some more carpet glue.. along with getting my floor and front casting deck started.

2012-05-16_14-21-31_435.jpg

was piecing together the supports and trimming to fit, also trying to figure out how high i wanted floor.. not sure if i like the height its sitting at.. gonna hit the river tomorrow or friday and test the decks "Mocked up" before i start coating them with spar and carpet... orr????? still not sure. always seem to get mud or sand in boat from river.. and i do alot of catfishing so not sure if i wanna use carpet.. any suggestions on a cheap easy to clean finish?

2012-05-16_18-33-29_210.jpg

took this picture after dark for a buddy who wanted to see he started decking his boat a few days ago aswell.. its dirty but shes sturdy as is.. for anyone interested i think this middle flooring/deck measured out at around 45 1/8" x 67 1/2"

2012-05-16_21-32-46_269.jpg

I used the cheap outdoor carpet from Home Depot when I built the two decks last summer and recovered the trailer bunks with it too. It seems to be holding up fine and the kids track water, mud, bait, chips and soda all over every weekend nice enough to get out on the water. For the most part it gets parked in te garage and I just let it dry and me or the kids clean it up with a shop vac. The colors are limited, they have gray and tan at the local store here. There are probably better ideas out there for sure, but it was cheap, easy and pretty nice. The carpet makes a nice "buffer" between the plywood and hull where they meet to. It closes up the fit and I don't get virbration noise when the motor is running and quiets the noise from the kids banging around too. Just a thought before you decide against carpet. I think 8 yards (6' x 12') of the stuff is only like $35 and more than needed for the whole boat.

thanks, i saw some at lowes yesterday im considering.. just gotta figure out how much im gonna need..

heres a few more pictures. woke up to this yesterday... got a few coats of spar on just in time.. seems to be doing its job well. i got another coat or 2 im gonna put on before i carpet everything up... might aswell use it all up

2012-05-18_10-25-59_41.jpg

"almost" done framing out the front deck.. had just framed out the hatch..

2012-05-17_13-04-43_969.jpg

a majority of the deck is cut.. still 1 peice short when i took these pics

2012-05-17_20-27-45_374.jpg

2012-05-17_20-18-54_967.jpg

oh how i love Routers.. so worth the price of the new router bit i had to buy....

2012-05-18_15-43-50_377.jpg

my grandpa passed yesterday on his birthday so it seemed an oppurtune time to get out and spend my time on the water in a calm purty place... and that would be the Chattahoochie River.. i had to see how i liked the weight distribution and deck height...my buddy also drove up with his Tin. hes in the middle of his build aswell... this is how the boat sat as i hit the water.. changed rear seat mount for a removable type much more comfy with the 3*tilt and spring.. definatley gonna have to move Battery forward under front deck and i have plans to switch to a lighter 3 Gallon Tank... but here she is as it sits

2012-05-19_10-56-00_118.jpg

2012-05-19_10-56-35_550.jpg

Driftingrz said:
thanks, i saw some at lowes yesterday im considering.. just gotta figure out how much im gonna need..

heres a few more pictures. woke up to this yesterday... got a few coats of spar on just in time.. seems to be doing its job well. i got another coat or 2 im gonna put on before i carpet everything up... might aswell use it all up

2012-05-18_10-25-59_41.jpg

"almost" done framing out the front deck.. had just framed out the hatch..

2012-05-17_13-04-43_969.jpg

a majority of the deck is cut.. still 1 peice short when i took these pics

2012-05-17_20-27-45_374.jpg

2012-05-17_20-18-54_967.jpg

oh how i love Routers.. so worth the price of the new router bit i had to buy....

2012-05-18_15-43-50_377.jpg

my grandpa passed yesterday on his birthday so it seemed an oppurtune time to get out and spend my time on the water in a calm purty place... and that would be the Chattahoochie River.. i had to see how i liked the weight distribution and deck height...my buddy also drove up with his Tin. hes in the middle of his build aswell... this is how the boat sat as i hit the water.. changed rear seat mount for a removable type much more comfy with the 3*tilt and spring.. definatley gonna have to move Battery forward under front deck and i have plans to switch to a lighter 3 Gallon Tank... but here she is as it sits

2012-05-19_10-56-00_118.jpg

2012-05-19_10-56-35_550.jpg

Nice build. What kind of stain did you use? Is that exterior plywood or marine and did you stain the supports?

Driftingrz said:
this is my 5th "vessel" over the last few years and only my 2nd Tin.. first was a short project that sold shortly after i worked on it...

anyways this is the first one with a running outboard.. hadnt originally planned on buying motor with this boat.. but after seeing a buddy spend $600 to get his old mercury in good running order.. i jumped on this mint Johnson 1990 (J10RESC) it runs Awesome

as you can see it came with some "decking".. nothing more than rotted plywood layed across the ribs and screwed into them.. also had 7" pedestals mounted in the CENTER of the benches... dont understand that at all in the rear.. i ripped it off at the boatramp before taking it out on its first trip..

as of now its all stripped out. ive had it in the Chattahoochie nearly daily since the weather has finally been nice.. trying to figure out how i like the weight balanced between seats/battery and gas tank. i have 1 deck inbetween 2 of the benches that i have had in there testing out its height and stability.. and with 400+lbs of flesh along with fishing gear and 6gallon steel tank and batteries im planing out nice and running 19mph average at WOT. took some tinkering with the trim as it just plowed through the water how it was setup when i got it at about 11mph...

anyways enough ranting for now. heres some pictures of where i am progress wise.. sun finally went into hiding again today so when the rain lets up this week im gonna do my best to avoid the temptation of the river and get to work.. i have a brand new Lowrance Elite 4x DSI and a minn kota edge 45lb trolling motor that ive had for a while never used from another project i have... and they are destined to live on the Tin

2012-05-04_18-41-38_868.jpg

2012-05-04_18-41-46_371.jpg

2012-05-04_18-41-52_538.jpg

2012-05-04_18-42-42_179.jpg

i stripped the carpet and wood out after my first trip out what a night mare the carpet residue and glue have been grinding out.. stuff is like concrete.. im making progress... still got more to do before i paint hte inside

2012-05-06_17-26-03_685.jpg

2012-05-08_17-58-30_769.jpg

19 mph wot with 400lbs gear, tank and battery with 10hp? did you use gps to check speed? that little johnny must be on steroids lol! my freind has a little 12 foot jon with a 10hp and with him and me in it (350lbs) its top speed might be 10 mph with the wind at our backs... are you gonna add any support where you removed the middle bench? my boats ( 16ft semi-v) all but done besides putting some sort of support where i removed my bench, ive got a few ideas but cant decide. i'll be posting pics of the whole process when im finished soon....

Yea gps speedometer on my phone and a garmin gps. It gets on plane almost instantly maybe i got lucky this johnson 9.9 is mint. A buddy of mine has a 14v thats a really deep v his does like 12-14 but it doesnt plane out

well i didnt get a lot done today.. but its progress none the less... i cut out a hatch door for the large storage compartment.. and as you can see i left the rough edges on it for the time being. I know its gonna have to be sanded down/trimmed to fit later on once i get some carpet for it so i dont want to take off to much now... went ahead and put on a coat of spar to keep it protected..

im also getting ready to make a mount for the bow mount trolling motor.. with the shape of the bow its getting on my nerves trying to keep the mount Level so the motor will sit level in the water and not tilted... hopefully have that built by end of day if not tomorrow

2012-05-19_18-02-11_449.jpg

2012-05-19_18-02-03_944.jpg

i didnt do any work on it today since im workin all week and weather isnt gonna be great so i went fishin... anyways here she is sittin pretty as is.. gonna lay carpet soon... and heres a video runnin up the Chattahoochie

2012-05-20_17-05-54_494.jpg

2012-05-20_16-08-55_972.jpg

[youtube]42enXkFT7M0[/youtube]

ended up having the day off.. so i tryed my best to make progress before a Storm rolled in and boy did i cut it close... finished this piece as the black clouds were overhead... also Primed the inside of the boat.. or atleast the spots that are gonna be visible when decking is reinstalled.. still gotta do the part behind rear bench.. but ill wait till i replace transom wood for that.. maybe later on this week.... anyways.. its amazin what a difference some primer and carpet will do to the Aesthetics of a boat...

2012-05-22_16-55-08_773.jpg

made some more progress before dark.. still gotta carpet the hatch and the rear bench.. along with painting back side and replacing transom wood.. but she startin to look Purty

nearly 400 views and only like 1 or 2 comments on this build.. guess it aint fancy enough :shock: :roll: haha

2012-05-22_18-56-55_248.jpg

2012-05-22_19-22-45_778.jpg

Thanks im pretty happy with the layout. Lots of ooen spacr to move around or for coolers etc.. will make running trotlines or jug fishing a breeze.

well i got the Hatch door done and installed before i hit the water yesterday for some fishing.. if i have enough carpet left im gonna go ahead and wrap the rear bench today and prime the back section of boat.... im quite happy with the turnout so far.. great stability even with my 250lbs plus a buddy fishing the river. him on front deck me on back.. no problems at all.. even with Him dancing around to some bluegrass hahaha... with all the fishing gear decking battery, gas and both of us its not planing out aswell as it was with just me and deck.. and gps shows only 17mph... which was a bit of a let down.. that 2-3mph is a very noticable difference... i may mess with trim settings some more.. or raise lower the motor.. i dont completely understand how high the motor should sit in water.. so ill do some reasearchin today....

also got a box built for the trolling motor i have.. motor is way to long.. so im gonna try to shorten the shaft without ruining it..

on top of all that.. i caught 1 bass yesterday.. he was all of 4 inches long hahaha a hair longer than the crankbait he tried to Devour... ill try and post some more pictures later on in the day

Just curious...where your supports touch the hull of the boat, are you spar coating these pieces? Putting carpet between the supports and the aluminum at all? Curious because you hear so many guys saying the treated wood touching aluminum will cause corrosion over time? I love your layout and it's actually just like what we're doing to one...and will use same approach if it's working for you!

all wood has spar on it.. and i didnt use PT wood so it shouldnt be an issue with the spots that are touching or secured into the Aluminum