Old Man's Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyScott

Reaction score
We are now on our 3rd mod... They are all of the same style of boat a 15' Lowe Sprite. Of course they are all different years but the basic design is the same. I failed to take pictures of mine but, last winter we completed my Old Man's rig. The idea was to make more storage, and more importantly to make it a safer boat when walking from the front to back of the boat. My rig is similar but has a little different storage options. Let me know what y'all think. Like I said we now are on the 3rd mod possibly a 4th recreation of my brothers Lowe.

Yes we are a family of Lowe Boats!

I want to apoligize for mis-spelled words, or if I post something the wrong way LOL...

I have kept up with the site over the last few years to gain ideas for my mods now its time to start giving back.

Like I said I want your ideas, comments, problems, questions, etc.

This is kind of the tear down stage.

When we removed the front deck we also slightly raised the front deck, more to level it out. We are bass fishermen, we do not sit down a lot. Anything to make the fishing experience more comfortable.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 2,251
  • photo 9.JPG
    photo 9.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 2,251
  • photo 18.JPG
    photo 18.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 2,251
  • photo 17.JPG
    photo 17.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 2,251
This is the new front decking.

Since we raised the front deck the original didnt fit. We actually used street signs to fab the front deck (no we didn't steel them) haha. Had a hook up, those are always nice.

All of th frame work is galvanized steel that you hang garage doors with... not sure what its called but its light and strong!

Cutting the aluminum signs is tough with the tools that we had, but we used a circular saw with a grinding wheel, it worked in a pinch. Especally since we had to match the curve of the sides of the boat.

Attachments

• photo 21.JPG
    photo 21.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 2,246
  • photo 10.JPG
    photo 10.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 2,246
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 2,246
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 2,246
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 2,246
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 2,246
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 2,246
Carpet! Couple days work but it was cold and thats not good for the glue!

Attachments

• photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 2,245
  • photo 8.JPG
    photo 8.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 2,245
  • photo 12.JPG
    photo 12.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 2,245
  • photo 23.JPG
    photo 23.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 2,245
These are the last pics that I took, I will post more after this weekend when I can snap some of the finished product.

The three framed boxes behind the front deck are all storage. the middle is tackle and the two sides are for what ever else the Old Man can put in them.

We used piano hinges for each of the three doors.

Each door has a power piston to keep it from falling with accessing the storage...

The last thing that one needs is more broken rod tips.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 2,243
  • photo 20.JPG
    photo 20.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 2,243
  • photo 24.JPG
    photo 24.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 2,243
I like the idea of fuel tanks back there at the Hips.
I was in a boat that flipped and the Fuel tank held up the boat. It couldn't handle the outboard though.
With two large tanks back there it will hold up your outboard.

I like the mods. Making good use of the space. And I'm pretty sure those aren't fuel tanks unless he's converted them although every lowes I see seems to have those. Are they just flotation pods or what?

JMichael you are correct those are not fuel tanks... Boat is only 40" at the bottom that would be way too much fuel and weight... They are flotation pods.

Nice boat, and nice bass in the profile pic bud! What are you gonna power your Lowe with?

All of our rigs are powered by 9.9's. All of out local lakes are 10 h.p. max! That one has a 90s model Johnson. My personal boat (this is my dads) is running a 2009 9.9 Yamaha. We are starting on the new mod this weekend and pics and updates will be posted as soon as progress starts.

Latest posts