10-22 to 11-2-2009

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
CHP 10-22/10-23-09
I couldnt remember the last time I wet a line and I was going nuts .. Spent the whole day feeling miserable and by 10pm I had enough .. Made some coffee , packed up and headed to the pier at 10:39pm .. 46 miles and 50 minutes later I arrived at the pier just before midnight .
The ride down was the worst ever .. I was so glad to be there and yet at the same time wondering why the hell I made the trip .. I was locked in until daylight thats for sure .
Since Sport was gonna meet up with me I stayed and fished the 1st and 2nd lights for 30 minutes picking off 3 TB Flounder from the 1st light and 1 off the next all like this ..
100_4520.jpg

It was very nice out and I was feeling A LOT better :) so I headed out to the end and found a guy with the whole end locked up and 7 rods out .. The right corner was the only open slot so I took it . Sport showed up a few minutes later and we began to pick up some Schoolies ..
100_4521.jpg

Even got a double ..
100_4523.jpg

Some were very small ..
100_4524.jpg

After about an hour of fishing around rods that were dead sticked right in the middle of all the activity the guy finally pulls up his rods and lets us fish .. It was right at the end of the bite but we picked at them and nailed a few more TB Flounder as well .
Roger and a friend showed up and Roger nailed about 5 TB's before he got to me . We talked a bit about Togging and he headed back working the other side of the pier just as I get railed :)
100_4525.jpg

21.25" Flounder :) You know I aint feeling well when this happens ;)
100_4526.jpg

100_4527.jpg

Very healthy fish ..
100_4528.jpg

Someone lose a tape player ..
100_4529.jpg

Also caught this piece of piling ..
100_4530.jpg

100_4532.jpg

Right before sunrise I had a ball of "Sand Eels" with feeding Stripers right in front of me for 30 minutes with a much better average size ..
100_4535.jpg

As the sky turned RED the bite died .. The eels left and so did the Stripers . in those 30 minutes I landed about a dozen+ .
Not exactly "The one that got away" but I did see a VERY nice fish swim by but I noticed it too late as it disappeared into the shadows .
I took these pics and they are not edited
Sunrise ..
100_4540.jpg

100_4541.jpg

100_4542.jpg

100_4543.jpg

Man do I feel better ;) AND before anyone says it "YES" thats a smile :):)

Silver Lake 10-24-09 (Slabtastic)
Hit the Lake at 8am and fished till 11am . The fish were stacked up tight to structure from the winds . I started out getting some small Crappie ..
100_4549.jpg

Man do they have some big eyes ..
100_4550.jpg

Switched up from a 1.75" Fin"S" to a 2.5" Fin"S" and found some bigger Crappie ..
100_4551.jpg

100_4552.jpg

Dialed in the color and it was on until the sun popped out and killed the bite ..
100_4553.jpg

100_4554.jpg

100_4556.jpg

Even got a runt WP ..
100_4557.jpg

Watched a guy nail 2 Hybrids around 4 to 5 pounds on a Spinnerbait . There were schools of Threadfin Shad being attacked by Cormorants and even had 2 Eagles eyeballing the Cormorants .. Cool stuff !
I'm a happy camper to have found some decent Crappie once again and so close to home :):)

10-26-09 Silver Lake and Intro to Garrisons Lake
Silver Lake 8am
Hit Silver Lake this morning at 8am . I found the water a tad stained and could not buy a bite in the Lake so I fished off the spillway and started picking off some LMB ..
First one had sore from something ..
100_4561.jpg

100_4562.jpg

Ended up with 4 off the spillway like ..
100_4563.jpg

Moved beneath because I dropped 2 LMB trying to lift them up the spillway . I landed 4 more LMB like this ..
100_4564.jpg

The LMB quit biting so I decided to move around the Creek and look for Crappie .. Didnt take long :)
100_4565.jpg

100_4566.jpg

100_4567.jpg

100_4568.jpg

Every stop produced a few Crappie and small Gills .. I fished both side of the Creek and ended up back at square 1.
Here's the whole area I fished .. both sides and below the bridge .
100_4569.jpg

100_4570.jpg

Found this .. Some type of mask ??
100_4571.jpg

100_4572.jpg

100_4573.jpg

Decided to take the whole tour again :)
100_4574.jpg

Picked up a Gizzard Shad ..
100_4576.jpg

No more LMB but the Crappie and Gills bite well . I get back to the dam and decide I aint leaving until I catch a fish from the Lake . I finally get a hit and land this fat LMB on a tiny tiny Stinger ..
100_4577.jpg

As I am leaving I see a strange Duck ..
100_4578.jpg

Anyone know what it is ?? Its the one with the white chest ..
100_4580.jpg

So I decided to take a short ride to Garrisons Lake ..

Intro to Garrisons Lake 3pm
Let me start with a few pics of the area ..
The Spillway ..
100_4582.jpg

The Fish Ladder ..
100_4583.jpg

Above the Spillway ..
100_4584.jpg

100_4585.jpg

I walked to the other side of the Spillway ...
100_4587.jpg

100_4588.jpg

Looking downstream ( RT 13) ..
100_4589.jpg

Found quite a few Shrooms ..
100_4590.jpg

I was about to snap another pic and saw a huge flash below the Spillway and grabbed my rod .. It was still rigged with a 2" White Twister (no bobber) so I tossed it out there and man did it take flight . I kept the fish from going under the bridge twice before landing this ..
100_4591.jpg

The Striper shredded the grub so I replaced it and tossed again ..
100_4592.jpg

Instead of replacing it with plastic I chose a Rapala that resembled a small Striper and ..
100_4593.jpg

Next cast I get railed and lost the Rapala on the hookset . I switched to a Tiny Trap and ..
100_4598.jpg

That was the end of the bite down below so I hit the lake with the 2" White twister ..
Got nothing .. There were Seagulls diving on bait and 2 big groups of Cormorants and at times it appeared like it was raining .. Small 2 to 3 inch silver fish ( Some type of Shad , most likely Threadfins ) were being slaughtered by fish and birds . I tried a multitude of lures , Crankbaits , Jerkbaits , Traps , Plastics with and without bobbers to no avail so I hit the spillway again with no bites .. I was famished tired and ready to go but I had to try the White Twister just one more time .. I concentrated on my old stand by spot right above the Spillway and finally found what I was looking for :)
100_4599.jpg

100_4600.jpg

The were very nice Crappie for Garrisons Lake , In fact the largest I have ever caught in this lake with most going 12 to 16 inches ..
100_4601.jpg

100_4602.jpg

Picked up about 15 nice Slabs and a dozen smaller 10" Crappie then while reeling in I saw a follower but too big for a Crappie .. I toss again and slow pop it off the bottom and BINGO !!
100_4603.jpg

Approx 23" and about 5 pounds or so :):)
100_4604.jpg

Caught one more LMB at about 3 pounds and 20" but while getting out the camera I saw fish below going nuts .. I toss the LMB back and make a cast .. I got hammered and it was ALL FISH .. I never had a chance with 6 pound test .. The Striper made one long run right to the end of my spool and took every bit of line I had .. Tired , exhausted , hungry , thirsty and starting to get sore I put my tail between my legs and headed home .

What a FABULOUS DAY !!

Seems these Lakes have better fish in them than I left before moving to the beach .. I'm not upset at all about moving :):)

10-27-09 Garrisons Lake Striperific !!
Hit the lake at 4:15pm .. I wasnt gonna go out today but the thought of yesterdays action got the better of me and I braved the elements :)
The water was slightly stained below the Spillway and I saw ZERO fish or fish activity but I made a few casts for good measure but got ZIP !
I hit the Lake after about 20 minutes and saw tons of Cormorants far off near the back of the Lake and not as many "Silver Dollars" popping but they were there and the fish were eating ..
I missed my first fish which was a very nice Slab that appeared to be around 15-16 inches and then nailed a nice LMB ..
100_4605.jpg

Got rough after that and only 2 missed hits in the next 30 minutes . I then saw some surface activity below and made a cast ..
100_4606.jpg

Then another ..
100_4607.jpg

2 more casts ..
100_4608.jpg

Then found a school of Dinks like this and landed 3 and missed twice that ..
100_4609.jpg

Casted back to moving water and ..
100_4610.jpg

At this time a car and truck pull up with a load in each vehicle that appeared to be Mexican or Spanish .. They noticed me and all but 1 guy put their rods back in the cars and the guy with the rod turned around and headed away from me ... I knew what was up
:angry2:
I moved back to the Lake not wanting then to see the Stripers and I start to pick off some decent Slabs .. Back to nack for about 10 casts then one of the guys comes towards me and breaks out a castnet and starts throwing it very very near me .. I FREAKED OUT
I headed right to him and said WTH do you think your doing ? Now mind you there was 11 of them and most looked like rough characters so I played a role .. An Illegal one at that but it served it purpose and no one was hurt in the process .
I exclaimed to him the "My name is Officer Johnson and I am a Game Warden for the State of Delaware" and went on to ask for his license which he said was in the car so I said I will need to see it . I walked him to the car and explained the law about needing a license and that its Illegal to throw a castnet in freshwater or within 100 yards of the spillway . When we got to the car he starts speaking in another language and they all surround me .. I didnt back down ! I asked the guy with the rod to produce his license too and then get handed 2 North Carolina Licenses that were EXPIRED :angry2:
I told them my boss was on his way and it was my day off but if they would go get the licenses and return to show me that I would make sure they only got warnings .. They said they would and the 2 culprits were in the truck so I said I am taking a picture of your license plate and WILL COME LOOKING for them if they did not return ..
100_4611.jpg

I know what I did was wrong but I'd do it again with the odds being 11 to 1 .
So they leave and I get back to the Stripers :):)
I made 2 casts and get hit and MFSOB I get spooled again ..
I wasnt having it this time and went and got my pier rod .. Took a few casts but they were still feeding :) . I had the tandem on but it was not working so I cut one off and Bingo ..
100_4612.jpg

Biggest of the trip at 27"
100_4613.jpg

Got 3 more before they shredded the only plastic they would hit and I left the rest in my pier gear .. Grrrr !!
100_4614.jpg

Thought this one was a Hybrid ..
100_4616.jpg

last one .. For now :)
100_4617.jpg

Water still coming in and already way over the high tide mark .. notice the concrete walkway ..
100_4618.jpg

Time to get some plastics together and eat dinner And then head back :D

Those guys never returned .. Go figure ;)

Moores Lake 10-29-09
Slipped out for an hour to the Lake . Water was very muddy and fast but not as bad as Garrisons yesterday . I saw quite a few fish blowing up . I got one small schoolie at 17" on plastic and saw another guy land a 12" on a Storm Lure . Before I left I tried a Black Bomber 4" and a Chrome/Blue Trap .. Nothing on the Bomber and lost 2 fish on the Trap .. Tried the lake for a few casts but got nothing and lost my rig in a downed tree ..
Oh well nice to see the Stripers here too ;) I also heard they were getting them at Silver Lake last night .
100_4621.jpg

100_4620.jpg

100_4622.jpg

100_4623.jpg

100_4624.jpg

100_4619.jpg

10-30-09 Garrisons and Moores Lake
Decided to swing by Garrisons to check on water conditions . I got there at 10 and the water was very high and still coming in .
This is about a foot above normal high tide ..
100_4625.jpg

The entrance to the Shad ladder is well below the surface .. even the sign is partially underwater ..
100_4626.jpg

It was very calm with overcast skies .. The water had cleared up considerably ..
100_4627.jpg

I fished the spillway for an hour and had 2 takers on the Trap but both were 10" Dinks and fell off as I lifted them .. Other than that nothing , I did however see some Stripers swimming about and lots of Gizzard Shad but for some reason they just would not bite .. I tried it all , Plastics , Cranks , Plugs and even the freshwater Crappie Jigs . So having not landed a fish I gave the Lake a shot ..
100_4628.jpg

100_4629.jpg

After that Gill it was Crappie city ;) ..
100_4630.jpg

100_4631.jpg

Played with them for 1.5 hours and then already being "late" I headed out . As I was leaving I watched the Cormorants school up baitfish and feed .. HARD !! I have never ever seen that many at one place . There were 2 schools of them that had to be 100 strong each ..
Walking back to my truck I had a truck honk at me and when I get to the lot ihuntde ( Rick ) pulls up and we shoot the chit for a few minutes then I had to get going and he too had things to do .. I hope ya caught some fish someplace Rick ;)
100_4632.jpg

My mom is leaving Sunday for Hawaii for 2 months then straight off to Japan so for the past 3 days I have been making sure things are squared away for her . Her heater quit working last week and 2 days ago I had the chimney cleaned and yesterday the furnace was serviced .. 4 hours later it quit working again so today I had to make sure someone came . I made another call and chatted with my mom for a bit then couldnt resist hitting Moores Lake for an hour or so .
I pulled into the lot right behind a familiar Truck :) .. Talk about timing , right hook pulled in right before me ..
I lost a fish on my second cast and although we tried we could not land a Striped one . I got a small Crappie and lost another and Steve switches up and land one too .. A nice pounder ;)
100_4633.jpg

I did have one nice fish hooked up for awhile only to have the jighead fail on me .. I got the lead ball back with no hook , neither me or Steve could tell what it was but it was decent .

We fished until about 4:15pm and I had to get back and make sure Mom had some heat and Steve also had to roll .
Steve had a cooler full of "Live" Lobsters .. Man what a sight :) Probably my favorite food of all .

Well no Stripers today but I am sure I'll get into them again real soon ...

10-31-09 CHP
Jimmy stopped down and picked me up and we headed to the Pier . Got there at midnight and met up with Sport . The very first fish of the night was a Keeper Flounder caught by Sport ..
20" Flounder ..
dsci0182.jpg

We all got some TB's .. Here's my first ..
dsci0184.jpg

And Jimmys first ..
dsci0185.jpg

The first Striper of the night and smallest Flounder of the night ..
dsci0186.jpg

My first Striped one of the night ..
dsci0187.jpg

Jimmy caught this 17" TB Flounder that spit up these ..
dsci0188.jpg

dsci0189.jpg

Jimmy and I also got a Shad which became bait for Flatties . My count for the night was 4 Schoolies and 8 TB Flounder with 6 HUGE 3 to 4 foot Eels .
Fished till sunrise ..

Jimmy and I went FW fishing when we got back to Dover but I'll let him post since he has the pictures :)

11-1 / 11-2-09 Silver Lake and Garrisons Lake
Sport stopped by and scooped me up and we hit Silver Lake at about 9pm . We were targeting Crappie .. Yes at night ;)
I walked up and left Sport rigging up at the truck but first cast produced a decent Crappie so I walked back to rub it in a bit :)
He finally joined me but we got no more bites so I suggested we move to the beach .. This proved to be a good move as we both nailed a few Slabs ..
IMG00221.jpg

Sports first ever night time Crappie ..
IMG00224.jpg

The bite slowed so we made another move to the other side of the Lake and fished off a well lit bridge .. This proved to be the best move of the night . We both nailed plenty of Crappie with a few nice "pounders" ..
IMG00225.jpg

IMG00227.jpg

The winds picked up a bit and shut off the bite so we made another move to Garrisons Lake . It was quiet at Garrisons and we saw nothing in the spillway but gave it a shot anyways to no avail . I hit the lake and had a nice Crappie come to the surface and suck my twister right off the top .. Pretty cool as I saw the fish flash then felt my line go taught :) Sport was still fishing the spillway so no pic but I did show him (rub a dub dub) . We both fished the lake for another 30 minutes and I get a nice LMB ..
IMG00228.jpg

The rain started at 2am and we promptly called it a night .
Bait of choice was anything "white" for me but Sport stepped outside the box and used a Black/Silver Pogy type plastic and caught quite a few .. Me I stuck with a 2" White Twister and a 2.5" White Fin"S" .

Awesome report and pics. I see a person really enjoying what life has to offer, and that's always great to see. Pretty ballzy playing the game warden bluff, I'm glad it worked out for you. It's a shame there are so many poachers in the world.

hengstthomas said:
CHP 10-22/10-23-09

100_4571.jpg

100_4572.jpg

100_4573.jpg

That is a portable CPR mask used as a mouth-to-mouth barrier for manual cpr or can also use that little plastic adapter to attach to a bag and make a bag-valve-mask.

I have one just like it in my Van.

M-573-AMBU.gif

danmyersmn said:
hengstthomas said:
CHP 10-22/10-23-09

100_4571.jpg

100_4572.jpg

100_4573.jpg

That is a portable CPR mask used as a mouth-to-mouth barrier for manual cpr or can also use that little plastic adapter to attach to a bag and make a bag-valve-mask.

I have one just like it in my Van.

M-573-AMBU.gif

I hope the one in your van is a little cleaner :shock:

Latest posts