10ft jon boat rescue/build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F4MG

Reaction score
I just recieved a small 10ft boat. It's in ok shape, has a few holes in the bottom that were patched with jbweld and brasing by the previous owner, rear support brace is cracked in the middle, there is some slight water leaking from the middle seat rivets, and the rear transom board looks like it needs some help. The boat is pretty light my guess around 50 to 60lbs max. I'm not sure that the brand is, I'm assuming it might be a sears brand but the tag on it is faded and damaged to tell.

I did take it in the water for a few hours with another person, some light fishing gear, a battery, and 55lb electric motor and it tracked fine. It didn't sink. However it is a bit sketchy standing up and any slight movement feels like the boat could flip. Do you all think if I can get that cracked brace fix it will help with the stability? Also how should I go about fixing it?

While in the water I noticed there was a very slow water leak from the middle seat rivets, I didn't notice any from the bottom patched holes. At the end of the trip there was a small puddle of water inside the boat. How can I fix that?

I want to either put spray bedliner or something inside the boat to help with grip and lower noise from stuff dropping and hitting the floor, what do you all recommend?

Do you all think I should replace the transom board? I didn't notice any issues with the motor.

I also want to add wheels to it for easy one person transport. Any recommendations?

And lastly, My main goal is to have something I throw at the back of the pickup bed and go pond fishing with at least 3 people.

I have attached pictures to this thread.

20210908_095851.jpg
20210908_095823.jpg
20210908_095725.jpg
IMG_1855.jpg
IMG_1856.jpg
IMG_1854.jpg

Thank you

Start by putting the boat on saw horses and fill it with a hose, just the bottom. Look for leaky rivets and mark them with a sharpie. You can tilt the boat to check side rivets. Once you have identified the offending rivets, you can rebuck them to tighten things up. Stubborn ones can be sealed with JB Weld.
As far as 3 people, that's optimistic for a boat this size unless you're all a lot smaller than me!
Keep it light. You can buy flip down wheels that bolt to the transom for launching by yourself.
Good luck and remember to post pics!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. How hard is it to rebuck rivets?

Do you have any recommendations for the broken support rib/ brace ?

Kismet said:
F4MG?

Before you invest $ in the craft, consider a couple of things:

A 10 foot Jon is always going to a little tippy--its strength is its weakness

Three people is about 2.5 people too much for space and stability;

Transom is fine, if you want to spiff it up, give it a couple of coats of exterior polyurethane, or just spar vanish---the poly is more expensive, but the spar may come in a smaller can, but takes longer to dry.

Stability standing up? er...a gymnast could do it, but outriggers would be best. Again, its strengths are it weaknesses.

My experience is that what it does best is fit in the bed of a pickup. I still remember me (at about 160lb at the time), a 3hp Evinrude, and a two gallon jug of gas going down a narrow, slow river, and looking at the water level 2 inches at the transom or so wanting to come on in.

Your choice. I had one, many others have also done so.

Just be safe. Oftentimes a free hull is not an inexpensive gift and serves to fire up your imagination with less-than-practical images.

Like I said, just be safe.

Kismet said:
Kismet said:
F4MG?

Before you invest $ in the craft, consider a couple of things:

A 10 foot Jon is always going to a little tippy--its strength is its weakness

Three people is about 1.5 people too much for space and stability;

Transom is fine, if you want to spiff it up, give it a couple of coats of exterior polyurethane, or just spar vanish---the poly is more expensive, but the spar may come in a smaller can, but takes longer to dry.

Stability standing up? er...a gymnast could do it, but outriggers would be best. Again, its strengths are it weaknesses.

My experience is that what it does best is fit in the bed of a pickup. I still remember me (at about 160lb at the time), a 3hp Evinrude, and a two gallon jug of gas going down a narrow, slow river, and looking at the water level 2 inches at the transom or so wanting to come on in.

Your choice. I had one, many others have also done so.

Just be safe. Oftentimes a free hull is not an inexpensive gift and serves to fire up your imagination with less-than-practical images.

Like I said, just be safe.

Latest posts