11' Coleman Crawdad - Jon Boat Mods.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
imjus4u2nv said:
Not sure if anyone will respond, this post was from a long time ago.
My family has owned a coleman crawdad i think since the mid 80's- its old. I saved it from it resting place under our deck and brought it back to life. For the floor I used that new plastic decking material (I used a table saw to split the board down the middle, making to this pieces- this stuff is strong even at half thickness. Has held up very well.
My question is whether I can take the foam out. I know it is supposed to keep the boat afloat but this foam is old, and although mostly intact I am not sure if it could keep the boat afloat. Also will removing the foam have any impact on boyancy of the boat during normal use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to follow a tip from a fellow poster and replace the plastic front pieces with wood, and maybe put in a live well with an aerator rather then a pump. Tight lines.

:WELCOME:

My crawdad is a 1984. I have seen the foam removed on many crawdads. Post up some pictures if you can!

I plan on removing it from mine this spring so I can put a small deck for a foot controlled TM.

sounds great. I will post pictures next week some time, thanks for the response. I am saving up for a foot control motor but have other things, like a good battery that have to come first. Actually looking into a cheap fishfinder, was wondering how much it will kill the battery or thinking of running separate smaller 12v battery with a solar charger- all just ideas though.

I purchased a crawdad in 1984. Carpeted plywood with bases for seats, a front transom for a trolling motor, and a livewell verymuch like the one on TinBoats, made it an electric tournament boat for several years. It's one of the best small water boats you could have. I'll never get rid of it. Keep'er Wet, ebcdave

Does any one know where/if I can buy a front cleat for crawdad. Not sure if they can be bought or must be salavaged but any recommedatino would be appraciated. I am also missing and in need of an oar lock, although I think I have seen them before.
I will post pictures next week, I am in the process of pulling out front part (foam/plastic) and making a wooden framed lock box for storage and making the top a third seat (will be able to snap in the square throw life jacket as a cushion) for my nephew (that way no one can leave him home because of no room on the boat).

imjus4u2nv said:
Does any one know where/if I can buy a front cleat for crawdad. Not sure if they can be bought or must be salavaged but any recommedatino would be appraciated. I am also missing and in need of an oar lock, although I think I have seen them before.
I will post pictures next week, I am in the process of pulling out front part (foam/plastic) and making a wooden framed lock box for storage and making the top a third seat (will be able to snap in the square throw life jacket as a cushion) for my nephew (that way no one can leave him home because of no room on the boat).

Are you talking about the built in handle on the front? When I first got my crawdad I searched around on the internet looking for a source for replacment parts and came up empty. Maybe someone else here might know of a place. Lookign forward to seeing a picture of what you have.

that is exactly the part I am looking for. If i can't find one will try to modify with a new one, will post when i figure it out.

Unfortunately coleman no longer has replacements, as I have been through the ringer but got in contact with many people at the Coleman company. All orignial style crawdad parts were sold off. I ended finding a cheap crawdad with holes in it to use for parts for one of my crawdads.

Latest posts