12 ft Sea Nymph Project father and son's first boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Me and my sons first boat project in the works. 1983 Sea Nymph 12 ft Jon Boat. Got this off craigslist Looking to prime and paint then level off the front flat, put in a live well and take it out fishing. We'll see how far we get.

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,596
How cool is that going to be you and your sons building the boat together. Then going fishing. Looks like you have a nice boat to start with, keep us all posted on your project including pictures, we like pictures.

If you need any help ask away, more than likely someone here has already been there and done that. If your looking for ideas checkout the build section, some really cool stuff there the guys have done.

Good luck with your nw boat project.

Congratulations on the new boat and being able to do a father son project! I cant wait for my son to get old enough to help me restore my 93 dodge d250. It really makes an impact on a child's life when they have a father that wants to spend time with them teaching them how to build something and that satisfaction of accomplishment is amazing!

Great post and a fantastic idea man! Thumbs up!!!

Showed my son of what I had in mind as far as making the front end flat and he said that he would be scared to stand on the small deck so we are just gonna stain and protect some wood and lay it down for the seats and go from there. Here is an updated picture of the inside sanded and all the scratches from the previous owners smoothed out and ready for prime. We also mounted some seats that I bought from craigslist to see how they would look.

Attachments

• boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,519
Got the inside primed and painted, my 9 year old son helped me out he ran the paint a little but I think its just his own little touches he added so I will be reminded where exactly he helped me out at lol..... It came out nice so far, tried to keep the color the same as before its satin Jade color. Gonna add the treated and protected wood down so I can mount the seats to them and go from there.

Attachments

• boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,422
Well here it is boat panted on the inside, wood stained treated and protected and seats mounted. Put small risers on them to make em a bit higher but not much. Gonna put new stickers on the outside and I still wanna put the small deck in the front even though my son doesnt want to. But I think he will get used to it, but its good for us for now.

Attachments

• boat 5.jpg
    boat 5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,349
This is my boy camden, he is the reason I got this boat and we did this together. He is laid up in the hospital right now just had back surgery this morning but his mom says he is doing good. And I told him as soon as he gets better we will be back at the river and he said ok dad.

Attachments

• camdens fish picture aug.jpg
    camdens fish picture aug.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,348
I'm glad to hear your son is doing ok!

If you don't mind me asking, what surgery did he have done?

The reason I ask is because I'm waiting on a quad lumbar discectomy when I can afford it to try and get out of being disabled. I don't get money for my disability but man it sucks.

He has curvature of his spine pretty bad, his shoulders slanted and it puts pressure on his heart. He has rods on both sides of his spine they are like car shocks they compress and expand. So right now they grow with his back but when they stop growing the dr's have to open up his back and adjust the rods to put his shoulders even and straighten his spine. So he just had an adjustment today he will have them til he is 15 they said, and he has had 6 or 7 already every year. they were 2x a year but he is getting bigger and they are slowing a bit so he is down to once a year. Its called scoliosis, I had it and when me and my wife had him it was a 50/50 shot of whether or not any of our children would have it. I hope when its time for your surgery all goes well for you. I know I should not have posted about it on here but I was just so relieved everything went good for him he was having alot of back pain before this and he was worrying me. Sorry fellow boat lovers just relieved. But he is the reason for redoing this boat he loves fishing and cant wait to be on the water.

I've seen quite a few scoliosis case studies when I was in Emt school and I have a 1/8" offset on my L5 to S1 vertebra, is the surgeries helping with any alignment?

Hey man that's your baby there's no reason to be sorry for talking about your child, 90% of us have kids also and anything related to your child you've got open right to talk about it on here buddy especially something as big as surgical procedures.

If you need anyone to talk to you about it or just want to keep this going but on private then feel free to PM me man!

It's a rare chance for dads to get to go fishing with their sons, my son is only 3 and he grins from ear to ear when he see's the car seat being moved to the truck and the big boat being hooked up. No fishing for him yet but it will come very soon!

I don't know if you are religious but I will be praying for a fast recovery if that's ok with you

Sounds good to me he is on a 5 hr trip back from chicago from the hospital today. I have alot of friends and family and they have been praying for him to get through this alright for the past few days. He went in yesterday and its usually 45 min to hour operation he was in there over 3 hrs. He has hooks in his rib cage they help keep the bars straight and they were un hooking and one of his rods slipped out. It scared the heck out of me and im in ohio I cant do anything from here, but once I heard he was okay and he was talking to me on the phone I was so relieved and I had to get it out a little. Thanks for listening.