12foot project. The NX-1236

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrandestPoobah

Reaction score
Hello all and happy new year. I've been lurking on here a while but It's time to be a contributing member of society. So, here goes: the NX-1236
20230111_133634.jpg20230111_133610.jpg20230111_133541.jpg20230111_133557.jpg

I have a long wish list for this thing, but the main goal is to have something that my kids and I can take out on the many electric only lakes around us, the upper st. croix, and up north to the fishing resort (still pretty small water).
I wanted something I can launch out of the back of the truck and not be beholden to a trailer. Because of this, all changes will have some amount of priority on weight savings. Will be adding a trolling motor, eventually an outboard to use when needed, new/different casting deck, bilge pump, some lighting/electronics work, new paint all over, flooring on the unraised portions, some storage, an easy to use anchor setup, possibly some DIY shallow water anchor action, etc.

I'm not new to building things, but I'm new to boats, so please feel free to bludgeon me with unsolicited advice as you wish. I'll take all I can get! Insert suggestions/words of warning/lavish praise at your leasure.

Thanks all, learning tons here.

Got the boat over the weekend for $350. Was used all last summer and seems to be in decent shape. No leaks that I have found yet, no sunken rivets, no cracks visible. There is one spot on the bottom that was welded in the past, but appears to be done by someone who knew what they were doing. 20230111_140343.jpg20230111_140400.jpg
Once I get the old casting deck off, I'll take a look at the topside of it. Any advice on smoothing this out at all or just leaving it as is? I don't want to remove too much material, but might need to see the top to make an informed decision on that.

Old casting deck removed. Not bad for what it was, but we are burdened with glorious purpose. Onward.
20230111_144431.jpg
20230111_145610.jpg

20230111_145622.jpg

Also took off the bow handle and pieces of... decking(?) holding it on. Will likely re-use the handle.

Included pictures of the top side of the weld. Would love anyone's opinion on it.

Last edited:
Alright, we are down to an empty shell. A blank canvas.
Took wood off the transom. P.O. put it on last season, but its already looking crummy and wet, as it was just bare wood. The plastic piece on the outside has been ravaged by UV by the looks of it, so off it comes. Still researching exactly what I want to do with new transom material. Top of the transom brace was not bolted on, and transom through-bolts appear to just be sealed with regular ol' silicone.

Also took out a couple shitty cleats whose screws snapped right off when removing. Oh well, didn't want them anyway.
20230111_160334.jpg

That's a great project boat. It's not in too bad of shape really. In my opinion, the weld looks like it will work although unsightly. Once you've got it cleaned up it should be a good boat for what you intend to use it for.
If you're really ambitious, a paint job would be in order.
Thanks for chiming in on this forum and posting about this boat.

"Unsolicited advice". You are really asking for it! Haha.

Congrats on the boat. I would leave the patch alone. If you and the kids (more than one but less than 3?) are going to be using the boat, I would not replace the deck. Boat will be more stable and have more comfortable seating. Paint her up. Use some USCG approved throwable cushions for seat cushions. Enjoy!

Like LDUBS said ^, lose the deck. I never quit understood raising the center of gravity in a vehicle who constant peril is tipping or loosing a passenger overboard. That's a nice size for your stated intentions.

Try to remember the adage: A boat is a hole in the water that you fill with money.

Be conservative in your aspirations until you have realized utility in your basic unit.

Best wishes

I have a a very similiar jon boat....as you now have it stripped down, it would be a good time to give the inside a thorough cleaning then coat it with a good sealer. Many use gluvit and it is a good product but not cheap. I found a product called " leak stopper" that is a clear roofing sealant. This stuff has been awesome on my boat. Home depot and tractor supply has this stuff. Brush it on, has a milky color then dries clear, once dried this stuff is tough !!
Did mine 5 years back and O leaks and has held up being drug over sand and rocks !! On my boat the ribs were actually worn thru from dragging over sand, these worn thru areas were filled in by a number of coats of the leak stopper and have never leaked again. You can paint over the sealant once cured, I used rustoleum exterior enamal in both brushon and rattle cans.
The pics of that front deck look like overkill, way to heavy for such a small boat in my opinion. If you decide to use it, remove those 2x4's, a piece of 5/8" plywood alone would be more than strong enough, just supported by the two seats.... Use plywood for the transom, exterior grade sealed up will be fine. Looking forward to see your build, keep us posted...

Thanks @airshot, great stuff.

I plan on taking the whole thing down to fresh aluminum, and go over it with a fine tooth comb for leaks at that point. If any rivets need work ill do it then. I'm not opposed to using a sealer, either to address problems or as a preventative. We will see.

Not planning on keeping any part of the old decking. I'll probably just see if anyone local wants it for free on marketplace, I was gentle with disassembly. You are right, it was quite heavy...

Any sealer would go on the inside creating a better chance to stop any leaks that come along. The outside of the bottom would be painted more for appearance and easier cleaning. No matter how close and carefull you look, leaks can and will happen, this is why the sealer is used on the inside !!

Starting what will likely be my least favorite part of all this.
Hopefully I'm not out of my tree thinking I can finish paint removal this weekend, but its just rattlecan so...so far not bad

20230113_145944.jpg

Last edited:
You could try a water based paint stripper to finish it up. Works quick and wouldn't hurt the aluminum.
That's what I'm using. Two passes with stripper and a plastic scraper get the lion's share of it.

After that I have been going around the rivets with a copper brush, that cleans them up real fast. For final touches on the flats, might try 80 grit or some sanding screens on the orbital sander.

Fasco application guide calls for a pretty rough tooth on the metal before applying, and at this point I'm thinking I will do steelflex on the bottom, so need to sand anyway.

This is where I'm at currently: two passes done on the bottom, 1 on the bow and side. I'll be back to it at 8 when the kids go to bed. Hoping to finish the outside (or close to it) tonight.

received_875851770323929.jpeg

Impressed with your industry so far. Painting prep tries my patience, too. Any guess what your bare hull weighs?
I am planning on weighing it after i finish any necessary rivet repairs and the new transom, so I'll get back to you with real numbers when that's done.

20230115_213850.jpg

Getting close to done with paint removal. If the predicted high temp of 37 today comes to pass, I might risk turning the driveway into a skating rink so I can power wash a little bit. Cleaning with a rag and bucket is for the birds...

Well, in a rather spectacular stroke of luck, It is about 38 degrees (F) all morning, and it is MLK day, which means no class today. (currently working on my masters degree)
Got the boat out in the driveway and ran a hose from the laundry room to give it a power-wash. Felt great to get all the residue off and all the pine needles and god knows what else out from under the ribs and in the drainage channels. I know I'm not done with surface prep, but like @airshot suggested, most of what I have left is very low mess compared to stripper/scraper/nyalox brush. Scotchbrite or soft wire brushes will likely get me the rest of the way home.

I want to avoid any hidden water freezing in sneaky places and causing problems with ribs&rivets, so I'm going to heat the garage to 52(f) or so for at least the next 24 hours with some fans on the boat. This evening I'm going to blast out the nooks and crannies with the compressor, I just didn't have time this morning. Going to hit the gym quick and then work for the afternoon.

I didn't take any pictures while washing, so if any of you feel cheated out of seeing a man in a poncho pressure wash a boat with 2 feet of snow on the ground, please accept my sincerest apologies.

current state of affairs:

20230116_110407.jpg

Latest posts