12foot project. The NX-1236

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all, vacation was amazing, and I'm back at it with the 1236 this weekend. Did alot of this in Zion and bryce canyon while we were gone:
335502536_1529098067577457_5525256027133529079_n.jpg

Anywho, starting on some framing, and having a devil of a time bending this 1/8" angle for side supports. bought it because local bulk metal suppliers don't carry much 1/16, but this proved to be a mistake. I'm not worried, I can still use this stuff in most other places, but menards has really inexpensive 1/16" angle that I'm going to go pick up. fortunately, it's only a 20-30$ mistake, not the end of the world. see cracks in 1/8" below:
20230318_113624.jpg
never fear, we are not deterred, only learning. I'll report back in later today with more progress.

Alright, made good headway on some framing. got the side-rails all done. Started framing out what will be front deck and storage. planning ahead to where a quick disconnect seat base will go has determined where the first vertical uprights need to be. I am trying to make cuts on the verticals fairly precise to avoid loading rivets in torsion, and keep vertical load on the angle (rivets are just keeping it all together, ideally) fitting these pieces was fun, check the micro-chamfer facing the slot, this is to accommodate the rounded inside corner of the angle that will sit atop it.
20230318_161657.jpg
These ended up going together really well, and it feels rock solid when standing on it. taking time for the toight fight was worth it.
20230318_164107.jpg
definitely not aerospace level of precision, but i'd say it's pretty darn good for someone whose targeted instagram ads keep recommending books for "Managing adult ADD, how to not feel like a failure". frick off, instagram, I feel great and my boat is going to look sweet.

Well I've had loads of time this weekend to play in the garage so here we are!
20230319_175418.jpg
It's been fun playing adult erector set all weekend. Been careful with the fit and things feel real solid. Happy with everything so far. If you're wondering why one of the crosspieces has a load of relief cuts in it, I had a long piece prepped for use as a side rail before I tested out bending (oops) and decided to recycle it since it is still strong in the vertical direction. It will also get a layer of 1/16" flat stock riveted on top of it to flush it up before flooring so I'm not worried about it. It is also in one of the spots that has a second piece of angle doubling it, feels pretty strong.
Most all the vertical supports were done the same or similar to the one pictured above. Combination of countersink rivets where needed, and non-countersink where not needed.
One the subject of countersinking, I was drilling some real garbage holes with my cheap 4-fluted countersink bit. I went and got a zero-flute bit set from Harbor Freight and it was even 30% off. cant beat the price, and the results have been perfect every time, no fuss.
20230319_120530.jpg

As this begins to reveal some of my future plans, hopefully none of you are disturbed by this look into my devious machinations for the future. Here there be dragons.

Latest posts