12ft Jon boat vs Gheenoe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimed

Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently a kayak fisherman, Fish a hobie pro angler 14. I am looking for something small between a 12&14ft where i can pull the hobie off the trailer throw the Jonboat on and head out. The only reason i am doing this is because I want to take my wife and 2 year old daughter with me. I fish the Northeast Florida area (creeks). I do not plan to travel long distances so i would start off with a 50lb thrust trolling motor and later on add either a 3.5 or a 5hp. I was thinking of getting either the alumacraft 12ft from Academy sports for $630 (or a preowned gheenoe) and picking up a troller off amazon . What do you Guys/Gals suggest.

Thank you in adance.

It depends on a few things IMO. How long do you plan on keeping the boat? How comfortable is your wife in a small boat? Your daughter will keep growing getting older and bigger (and it happens fast, trust me). If I were planning on keeping a boat for several years to fish with my family a 1448 would be as small as I would want to go. A 55lb. TM will push it nicely and the width will give you extra stability.

gillhunter said:
It depends on a few things IMO. How long do you plan on keeping the boat? How comfortable is your wife in a small boat? Your daughter will keep growing getting older and bigger (and it happens fast, trust me). If I were planning on keeping a boat for several years to fish with my family a 1448 would be as small as I would want to go. A 55lb. TM will push it nicely and the width will give you extra stability.

Thank you for your input. I do plan to have it for a while. the 1448 seems to be a whole lot pricier and a lot heavier then I could afford right now.

Do you plan to keep the kayak? My 1448 was as small as I was willing to go as well and like you, 3 grand was more than I had really planned on spending for just a hull...I wound up committing and sold both of my Ocean Kayaks for $1800 to offset the cost. That Pro Angler could cover your hull by itself new...motor as well if used.

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

I would look at a 16' flatback canoe also. It would be much lighter than the Gheenoe so your trolling motor would work a little better and would probably cost less also. But if the canoe doesn't fit your thoughts I would go with the Gheenoe..

fl.graderman said:
Do you plan to keep the kayak? My 1448 was as small as I was willing to go as well and like you, 3 grand was more than I had really planned on spending for just a hull...I wound up committing and sold both of my Ocean Kayaks for $1800 to offset the cost. That Pro Angler could cover your hull by itself new...motor as well if used.

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

Yes, i will need to keep the yak because there are holes i get into that even a gheenoe can get into at low, plus i know a lot of people woth yaks and still would like to fish with them. I am actually rebuilding my trailer. I am putting two types of bunks, the outer bunks will sit a little bit higher to accommodate the jon boat and the inside bunks will be lower with pvc to hold my yak. That way i can flip flop between yak and jon. Another reason why weight is important.
@ fishcreek, i am concerned of the stability of a canoe. I am a little clumsy some times.

Thanks you all for taking the time to respond

You might consider a used 1448. This is the beginning of used boat sale season, and--at least up in the Mid-west, you could get a very clean 14 foot tin for $800 or less, often with a trailer.

Craig's list is truly a wonder for the used boat shopper.

It's really hard to wear out a tin boat. :)

Best wishes.

A Gheenoe would be far more stable than a canoe. Heck, Mr. Gheen fell out of two canoes, and that is why he designed and built the Gheenoe in the first place. (true story).

I have a 1652 G3 and love it. But, I can't throw it in the back of a truck.

I have owned Gheenoes in the past. I like the idea that you cannot turn one over (but you could fall out of one..or out of any tinboat, too). So, considering your child, I'd lean towards the Gheenoe. No hard and fast answer, here though. richg99

richg99 said:
A Gheenoe would be far more stable than a canoe. Heck, Mr. Gheen fell out of two canoes, and that is why he designed and built the Gheenoe in the first place. (true story).

I have a 1652 G3 and love it. But, I can't throw it in the back of a truck.

I have owned Gheenoes in the past. I like the idea that you cannot turn one over (but you could fall out of one..or out of any tinboat, too). So, considering your child, I'd lean towards the Gheenoe. No hard and fast answer, here though. richg99

Thanks for your help Rich, I am thinking of getting the 1436 or a G3 1448. I almost bought a 13 Gheenoe but i read the weight limit which was a fast red flag. #326lb weight limit turned me away. Wife and I alone are 320. Will be over limit with daughter and gear

Three plus fishing gear and a battery in a 12' is cramped at best. Nix the 13' Gheenoe as well. Good way to lose your family's interest in fishing!
Now....as far as a trolling motor goes on Gheenoes they are wonderful and a 50# thrust trolling motor will push a 15'6" Gheenoe Classic hull with ease. Trust me on this. I own one and the trolling motor pulled mine almost 9 miles back to the ramp a couple months ago....with ease. That boat is plentiful on the used marked down here in Florida, will not hurt your budget and will carry the load you want. Just keep your eyes open on Craigslist and on customgheenoe.com for used ones in your price range.
Same with tinnies. There are tons on the used market down here. Search words like "aluminum" "alumacraft" "Jon boat" or whatever boat manufacturer you want to look at will bring up many.

Latest posts