12V - 55# - Group 31DC - Approx. Run Time on 16' Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update to this thread....

Since I have a boat on order (Tracker Pro Guide V16SC) and it will be here soon, I will now be testing the iMK Powerdrive that is included with my new boat. It is a 12V 42# 55" shaft without spot lock (GPS).

I'm not sure how well the 42# is going to do, as it is fairly heavy boat at 1170# dry weight (manufacture specs).

I purchased a Lowrance HDS Live so a MG would now be my choice as the two communicate well.

That being said....

After I test out the MK TM, I'll decide if it's worth adding spot lock for ($500).....OR getting a more powerful MG TM.

Since I troll at 2mph for 90% of my use (with 1-3 anglers aboard).....

I'll need to decide if a 12V or 24V is the way to go. I hate the added weight of two batteries, but everything is a trade off. Even if I had a 12V, I would probably run 2 12V batts in parallel for the added troll time. if I did that, then a 24V TM may the preferred option. I'll post a new thread on 12V vs 24V once I test the new TM.

Thanks for all of your input, as it will be very helpful even with the new heavier boat!
If there is anyway to trade your 42# for a higher output TM before it is used....do it...tou wont be sorry!! That 42 will be barely adequate, my 55# is ok but there are times when it runs at 100%....your 42# will run at 100% most of the time with 3 adults on board. My 16' Sylvan is probably around 1200 plus lbs and the 55# is adequate but not over powered. You should look into upgrading before using that 42# before it becomes used, if you know what I mean....

Since I have a boat on order (Tracker Pro Guide V16SC) and it will be here soon, I will now be testing the iMK Powerdrive that is included with my new boat. It is a 12V 42# 55" shaft without spot lock (GPS).

I'm not sure how well the 42# is going to do, as it is fairly heavy boat at 1170# dry weight (manufacture specs).

I purchased a Lowrance HDS Live so a MG would now be my choice as the two communicate well.

That being said....

After I test out the MK TM, I'll decide if it's worth adding spot lock for ($500).....OR getting a more powerful MG TM.

I'll need to decide if a 12V or 24V is the way to go. I hate the added weight of two batteries, but everything is a trade off. Even if I had a 12V, I would probably run 2 12V batts in parallel for the added troll time. if I did that, then a 24V TM may the preferred option. I'll post a new thread on 12V vs 24V once I test the new TM.

Thanks for all of your input, as it will be very helpful even with the new heavier boat!

For your use 24V is the only way to go. Aside from the added thrust, they are more efficient, and not just because they have two batteries, resistive loss is halved. For trolling you will need two batteries anyway.

I would try to negotiate with the dealer before the 12v motor is considered used, perhaps they will swap with you for the difference in price and save you quite a bit of money in the long run.

I have 45# MG Wireless on the 1648DMI, but it is half the weight of your new boat. While 55# "might" be adiquite, like others have already said, should step up to 24v system. Especially, because you primarily troll with it. Have a 70# in the 17' G3, and we are at 2000#, 2 people and gear. It does well, but we are mainly using it for anchor lock in current and wind, with occasionally running slow tracks at your trolling speed.

Last edited:
If you upgrade, 100% go 24v especially if you get a gps model. High sided tin in any wind is a sail, and once you start looking at spending $1700+ on a motor it wont be significantly more $ than a 55lb 12v. An extra 60lb battery in a 1200lb boat wont bother you in the least. There is only up-side to going 24v.

I have a 55lb. Min Kota that I’ve had for years. It’s a tiller mount and when I got my current 16/52 I built a bracket,reversed the head and put me a button on the floor. Bam, bow mount. With only a 24 series battery I’ve fished all day. My Interstate is on its fourth year. Right after I got the old boat I took the wife fishing and the gas engine started bogging and the carburetors flooding.
I shut the fuel off and we spent hours on the trolling motor between fishing and site seeing. We completely circled Fayette county lake in the process.
I’m afraid the trolling motor will never die. I want one with anchor lock and remote. I drift fish a lot by myself. I wouldn’t know how to act not having to stop what I’m doing and bump the tiller to hold position.

That being said....

If you ordered a new rig I’d definitely upgrade it. I used to sell boats and if you just get the standard package you’ll wish you had something else.
Go for it 24v with spot lock and enjoy your day on the water. My old Min Kota with a 24 series battery hasn’t let me down but I wish it would. 😂

Latest posts