13'10" of Noob

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to fix it, or at least get it alot closer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 7.54.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 7.54.04 PM.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 7.54.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 7.54.15 PM.png
    506.9 KB · Views: 1,017
Action shot of the cousin helping me getting the motor mounted.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 9.02.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 9.02.40 PM.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 1,000
So this is how she will go to Maine to be used for the first time in a long time! I am pretty excited to finally take it out after doing all these little things for the last couple months, and even though I didn't get my floors done, I think it is in a lot better shape than it was and it will be more than enough for what we need for the next week.

Still need to add oil to the engine, slap on the MA registration sticker and I am going to change the trailer tires to some 4 ply, up from the 2ply it came with. But I am in good shape and have a few hours before I need to go to work for the day, so that won't be a problem. Might not be necessary but I feel a lot more comfortable towing it 6+ hours with some new tires on it as the previous ones look in okay shape, but are unknown.

Paint lines could have been a little straighter in some spots and there is a little drip or two, but overall I would say I'm happy with it for now.

Oh, and lets get the obvious out of the way, thanks to the registration number I am now the S.S. BJ :shock: #-o

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.24.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.24.20 AM.png
    539.2 KB · Views: 990
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.23.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.23.50 AM.png
    471.1 KB · Views: 990
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.24.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.24.32 AM.png
    595.6 KB · Views: 990
Looks better than 90% of the tin boats I see around here. Maybe including mine!!!

Don't forget to carry one of those old tires so you have a spare unless you already have a spare. Have a fun trip. Reports on fishing successes are accepted on this site.
rich

The reason I brought it up was because a friend of mine bought a Tohatsu motor online and had a problem. He was not covered by any warranty until an authorized Tohatsu warranty dealer registered the motor signing off that it was set up correctly. Another dealer might not want to take care of the paperwork because you didn’t buy it from them. They’ve got a 5 year warranty. I’d certainly look into finding a local dealer to get your paperwork right.

Boat looks great! I've never seen cleats on the outside of a hull before. Most of the docks where I live are higher than my gunnels and I'd worry about the docklines unraveling from wakes or chop if my cleats were mounted that way. Was there no way to put the cleats on the top rail?, it's hard to tell from the pics.

richg99 said:
Looks better than 90% of the tin boats I see around here. Maybe including mine!!!

Don't forget to carry one of those old tires so you have a spare unless you already have a spare. Have a fun trip. Reports on fishing successes are accepted on this site.
rich
Thanks! I think it came out pretty well, obviously could always be better. I actually don't fish, I will be using this to cruise the lake and get to the islands on it. I proposed to my wife on one of them while we were camping, so it's tradition to try to camp out on the same one every year and the boat will let us bring the dogs along. Plus the lake is mostly sunfish anyways!

I kept both tires and they will be coming with me! I am gonna be a worry wart driving this thing 6 hours on such tiny wheels!

Scott F said:
The reason I brought it up was because a friend of mine bought a Tohatsu motor online and had a problem. He was not covered by any warranty until an authorized Tohatsu warranty dealer registered the motor signing off that it was set up correctly. Another dealer might not want to take care of the paperwork because you didn’t buy it from them. They’ve got a 5 year warranty. I’d certainly look into finding a local dealer to get your paperwork right.
That would be a pain, I have the paperwork now, I will definitely make sure I get that taken care of, thanks for the heads up!

ProduceMan said:
Boat looks great! I've never seen cleats on the outside of a hull before. Most of the docks where I live are higher than my gunnels and I'd worry about the docklines unraveling from wakes or chop if my cleats were mounted that way. Was there no way to put the cleats on the top rail?, it's hard to tell from the pics.
So I put the cleats there because the only dock I will likely every tie up to is the one in front of our cabin. It is a lower one and I think I should be able to hook up without any issues there. We are also in a very quiet and calm cove, the only time I've ever seen a wave is during a hurricane, and the occasional bigger boat that comes around. That said, I did originally think about putting them on the top like most do, but the way the rail is set up, getting it fastened would have been a real pain.

Will it end up not working out like I hope and I have to add some to the top in the end, maybe! This is the first time I've had a boat and while I have tried to learn a lot on this forum and talking to some other people, there are a few things I have done without consulting anyone. So there is a good chance those choices wern't the best! [-X I'll find out the hard way in a day or two and report back!

Your cleats, though different than many, should be fine. I think that, as long as the docklines are small enough to slip one end through the hole in the cleat. (Using that hole is usually not necessary.) Then, just cleat as usual and don't forget to "finish" with a criss-cross-under.

It always surprises me how many mature boaters don't know how to finish a cleat hitch. Some don't know how to begin a cleat hitch. Had it happen yesterday, and the guy's boat almost drifted away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaF9lFn0Inw

richg99 said:
Your cleats, though different than many, should be fine. I think that, as long as the docklines are small enough to slip one end through the hole in the cleat. (Using that hole is usually not necessary.) Then, just cleat as usual and don't forget to "finish" with a criss-cross-under.

It always surprises me how many mature boaters don't know how to finish a cleat hitch. Some don't know how to begin a cleat hitch. Had it happen yesterday, and the guy's boat almost drifted away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaF9lFn0Inw

Thanks for that video, I definitely have been doing it wrong whenever I was asked to tie up a boat as a kid!

Got the boat in and did a quick loop, will be taking just the wife out soon and spending some more time with it. But it floats,no leaks and is very stable! The cleat in the front lines up oerfect and the one in the rear is a little low. Nevermind it isnt being used, the first mate tethered us :LOL2:
First phone post, no idea why photos are sideways

Attachments

• C1F57757-04AC-45B0-AFF7-F820FACA07B2.jpeg
    C1F57757-04AC-45B0-AFF7-F820FACA07B2.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 947
  • 9DC1B5B5-F535-46D5-B549-3CE572F7E2C5.jpeg
    9DC1B5B5-F535-46D5-B549-3CE572F7E2C5.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 947
  • F96EF8DA-06CB-4627-91DC-02718F500B2B.jpeg
    F96EF8DA-06CB-4627-91DC-02718F500B2B.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 947
richg99 said:
Lookin' good.

If your photo came from an Apple phone, I understand that many people have the sideways issue. There is a fix out on the web someplace. I use Android.
I was Android for years, this is my first iPhone. I resisted the apple machine for a while but google is just as bad these days so I figured why not give it a shot. So far it’s been okay.

Boat is a lot more fun than the phone! Really glad I got going with this project. Thanks to everyone for the inspiration and knowledge!

Latest posts