14’ Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hook&Reel

Reaction score
I have a 14’ Jon that I’m getting ready to seal and paint. I planned on doing the inside and out with gluvit epoxy sealer first and then Seahawk alumahawk jon green. Would the Seahawk paint adhere to the gluvit ok? And could I also use the gluvit to seal and protect my marine plywood decking before carpet?

To the best of my knowledge, gluvit is a sealant for the inside only. There are better products for the outside. Never heard of gluvit being used on wood, cant say it wont work, just always used other/ better products to seal wood. When I did my jon boat, on the outside I used a product called " leak stopper" availiable thru tractor supply and home depot. It is a clear roof sealant that is very tough. It can be painted over, in which I used rustoleum exterior enamal. Mine has been dragged over sand, rocks and other abrasive stuff and has held up very well. I used it on the inside as well, because the formed ribs on the bottom were actually worn thru, creating long cracks and yes they leaked like crazy!! The leak stopper is thicker than gluvit and would build up in the ribs in thickness to seal the cracks. Been about 5 years and still no leaks !! The gluvit is thin and gets into nooks and crannies to seal up tiny cracks and rivet heads. Most peoplebuse somevtype of epoxy or other wood sealer for the wood parts.

To the best of my knowledge, gluvit is a sealant for the inside only. There are better products for the outside. Never heard of gluvit being used on wood, cant say it wont work, just always used other/ better products to seal wood. When I did my jon boat, on the outside I used a product called " leak stopper" availiable thru tractor supply and home depot. It is a clear roof sealant that is very tough. It can be painted over, in which I used rustoleum exterior enamal. Mine has been dragged over sand, rocks and other abrasive stuff and has held up very well. I used it on the inside as well, because the formed ribs on the bottom were actually worn thru, creating long cracks and yes they leaked like crazy!! The leak stopper is thicker than gluvit and would build up in the ribs in thickness to seal the cracks. Been about 5 years and still no leaks !! The gluvit is thin and gets into nooks and crannies to seal up tiny cracks and rivet heads. Most peoplebuse somevtype of epoxy or other wood sealer for the wood parts.
Ok probably just use the gluvit on the inside and just paint on the outside. Did you strip the old paint off down to bare aluminum or paint over existing?

Ok probably just use the gluvit on the inside and just paint on the outside. Did you strip the old paint off down to bare aluminum or paint over existing?
No I didn't, the base paint was not chipping or peeling, so I just roughed it up with some course sand paper. Did use primer on bare spots. Used a roller to paint all the flat areas and rattle cans to paint the hard to reach areas. The rustoleum exterior paint matches perfectly between the can and the spray. Also painted the interior over the sealer to make everything look good..

Latest posts