14' Mirrocraft Deep Fisherman Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOBSONFLY

Reaction score
New to the site, so will give you the overview:

Picked the boat up last weekend for $200. Boat only no trailer or other parts but figured for this price could afford to put some money into it. 14' Deep fisherman Mirrocraft, had some minor dents and dings. Found a trailer on Craigslist for larger 16-18' boat and planning to modify it as needed. Got new tires and wheels under it and a nice spare. In the "hull" thing for around $500 now (pun intended)

The plan is a simple restoration overall with some "mild" mods or additions in time:
- Repair the necessities (transom board, minor dents knocked back out, weld up small holes left from emblems, prep, paint, repair/rebuild seats, add new padded seats)
- Clean up trailer, install new wiring (had some bugs only right side works) plan to just get new maybe some LED, got new rubber and wheels already.
- Have a donated 7.5-10 HP motor that runs but have yet to get it from some family. Want a trolling motor in time.
- Possibilities: bow fishing area, bi-mini? recommendations??? likes dislikes???, lights for night? dont know how much I plan to fish at night right now (from the boat anyway, I fish a lot from the bank at night as it is).

Anyway any recommendations suggestions or constructive criticism is appreciated. This is my first decent sized boat, I also have 1960s era 12 foot flat bottom.

Attachments

• DSC01158_640x480.jpg
    DSC01158_640x480.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 19,298
  • DSC01162_640x480.jpg
    DSC01162_640x480.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 19,298
  • DSC01159_640x480.jpg
    DSC01159_640x480.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 19,298
  • DSC01160_640x480.jpg
    DSC01160_640x480.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 19,298
Hey Dobsonfly, welcome aboard. You have a nice hull to work with. I would say first you should complete the registration process then check the hull for leaks. There are lots of Mirrocraft owners who are members, so I am sure they will be eager to help with any questions.
If you search "Mirrocraft" you will get LOTS of ideas. We're glad you are here.
Rick

Hey welcome to Tinboats,

You have a great hull to work with and a solid trailer. You can do so much with what you have. Be sure to explore this site lots and to stare at your boat for many hours and you will figure out exactly what you want.

If you're having any trouble with ideas or construction there are many people here who want to help.

Keep us posted with your progress. Looking forward to seeing pics

Yup already have been surfing tons before joining up and this site I feel has already proved to be invaluable. As I find some good ideas I save off the img or bookmark the page. I found that someone had posted an old 1974 Mirrocraft brochure and that was too cool, saved it of course.

Family donated to the cause with a Mercury Merc 60 - 6 HP motor (ended up being 6HP originally thought it was bigger but just thought Id set the record straight), was running when it was put into storage. Post more on that later. In the next week or two would like to get the transom replaced and the boat painted. When it comes to the transom after reading many threads I am planning on using a marine grade non-pressure treated plywood glued and doubled up, stain and finish it with spar urethane varnish. Will be using all stainless steel hardware for putting it back in.
IMG-20130310-00189.jpg
IMG-20130310-00183.jpg

Color scheme am keeping it simple with a gray or light tan (which we have both at work...) interior and exterior then exterior with a blue "sash". The aluminum extruded rim and gussets will be brushed back like original.

Seat wood was rotted of course so looking at another project to the list, rebuild seats.

Photoshopped until I got something close to what I would like to do for the paint. We paint a lot of our product at work already with a color very similar to what I want for the sandy/light tan color. The navy dark blue I will get from a good friend who runs a body shop probably a left over of some kind.

Attachments

• PAINT_SCHEME_1.jpg
    PAINT_SCHEME_1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 18,701
Have to love those older motors, that thing looks like it is going fast just sitting there. You have your work cut out for you but have a great start. Keep sharing and good luck. Fish On!

My plan is to rework the original seats or rebuild with new materials anyone have any suggestions for semi-original look bolt in style seating? These are aluminum foam and wood currently but was considering a bait area recessed into one of the seats and also putting in a bow fishing platform between the first seat and the current bow mounted platform area to integrate as one and have a storage area for life vests or something. Do not have plans for doing an entire floor plan or anything.

I guess it all depends on how original you want the boat to look. I contacted Mirrorcraft once before and one of their employees sent me a template for the 15" transom. You might try to call them, give them your serial number and they might be able to send you the original configuration, paint scheme, etc. My suggestion would be, take your time....be prepared to spend a few bucks.

Made some progress, dents pounded out with a 2x4 dolly and a dead blow hammer seemed to work pretty well. Welded up a small crack that was above the water line, stripped some paint, and scotch brited the extruded top rails.
DSC01171_640x480.jpg
DSC01172_640x480.jpg
DSC01173_640x480.jpg
DSC01179_640x480.jpg
DSC01181_640x480.jpg
DSC01163_640x480.jpg

Also was able to score some left over paint and primer from work.

https://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=STORECAT&doctype=PDS&lang=E&prodno=B50NZ6
https://ppgamercoatus.ppgpmc.com/products/pdf/450h_PDS_AI.pdf
https://ppgamercoatus.ppgpmc.com/casehist/searchresults.cfm?type=1&system=Amercoat 450H

This primer I am not sure if I will end up using or not that I had picked up, its specifically for steels but may double check with SW to see if it will work on aluminum okay, it appears to be nearly identical on the specs for the aluminum specific primer in the same line of SW product. Will end up calling SW to verify some application questions.

Considering 1st Zinc Chromate Self Etching Prime 2nd the Kem Kromik prime and then the PPG Amercoat topcoat. Any recommendations or paint experts out there before I call???

The topcoat color is tan and is intended for applications for extreme corrosion resistance so should make for a long lasting finish on a simple fresh water boat. The company I work for manufactures vessels and pipeline products that use this. Some of these operate at elevated temperatures in adverse locations, offshore platforms deserts etc.

Attachments

• IMG-20130315-00195_640x480.jpg
    IMG-20130315-00195_640x480.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 18,452
After talking with some paint pros today decided I will go with Dupont 615 and 616 Variprime and will probably be about the same price by the time I had it done with rattle cans of Zinc Chromate self etching primer.

However if I run into anything I can use the method I listed above per SW technical folks.

Are you going to paint the motor? if so what are you using. It sounds like you have some great sources for paint and coating advice. Fish On!

Yeah I need to thank my friends more often... know the owners of three auto body shops local to me that are excellent and have been friends with for years.

If I do paint the motor (still not sure yet if so maybe a good winter project), I know I found some on the oldmerc site but was pretty pricey https://store.oldmercs.com/product_p/92-28905.htm so am hoping one of the connections can hook me up, they all have a tool that scans and gives you mix details to match it. Or if the Merc cloud white has a code then that might work also. Anyone used automotive paints? And if so for the color and then I presume put a marine grade clear on top? or can you find marine grades in the proper colors and mix?

Well changing it up again on the primer in interest of saving money. Looking at $140 for the Dupont variprime 615 alone, I called a local aircraft supply and can get 12 oz cans of zinc phosphate for $7.50 each. Got 10 cans.

Just some typical Kansas weather, no work getting done for a day or two.

Attachments

• IMG-20130324-00003 (1).jpg
    IMG-20130324-00003 (1).jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 3,103

Latest posts