14' Semi-V North West Fishing Machine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First coat of paint on the hull done and 4th and final coat of spar with the anti-slip stuff, done on all the decking. The paint really shows all the dents :D

Attachments

• IMG_4455_resize.jpg
    IMG_4455_resize.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 2,635
  • IMG_4456_resize.jpg
    IMG_4456_resize.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2,635
Well, it looks like my goal of getting it done by June isn't happening. Working 12 hours a day and trying to find enough time to exercise, eat well and get enough sleep don't leave a lot of time for the boat. On the days where I do have time it likes to rain and there's not a whole lot I can do in the garage.

Anyway, I managed to get the boat painted. I also laid in the decking all stained and varnished to give a glimpse of what it looks like. Good news is that it's pretty full of rain water and doesn't leak, bad news is that I can't drain it until I get the bunks on the trailer! I had to cut off 4 of the 8 u-bolts that hold the bunks to the trailer frame and today was my first chance since I got it flipped back over to pick them up.

The decking looks crooked because I haven't screwed it down yet, and I have some 3/4" quarter round white vinyl trim to cover the gaps to avoid losing stuff in the bilge.

Next days off are the 3rd and 4th. Hope to get a few things done in the meantime though.

Here are a few pics of the boat painted on the freshly restored trailer, and one of the deck. Don't mind the redneck garbage pile...a trip to the dump is also on the list of things to do. :|

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,588
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,588
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,588
Dont worry about deadlines for the boat.. Enjoy the process,you are doing fine work and its looking good. You'll get on the water and when you do, you'll have a sweet ride and people will be checkin it out!

You're right - I had a few ideas I removed from the list, but now that I can take it a bit slower I might re-consider a few.

All I have managed to get done since the boat was flipped back over is install the new bunks and get them adjusted. Next step is to figure out how much floatation foam I need to fill under the floor and all the bench seats. If I can get away with it, I am going to add some more storage in the middle seats for stuff like tackle or pelican cases since it won't be waterproof like the bow hatch.

Picked up a Yamaha 2 hp for a trolling motor. Not a whole lot of electric only lakes up here with good fishing, and this is much lighter than a second battery. Haven't really seen a lot of people use a small kicker like this on a 14' boat but the transom is about 58" wide so there is enough room there for it. Will also save gas when putting around slowly. The 35 is pretty thirsty for a 2 cylinder.

https://youtu.be/IKf0fvTORX8

Had the same motor a few years back...in gear when started just turn it right around for reverse?
I used mine on a 16' canoe,another one of those things I sold that I would like to have back.

Yeah, that's right, no neutral gear. Serial number says it's a 1986. I'd like to pick up a canoe once this is done so I can fish the lakes only accessible by Jeep.

I am working my way from the back to the front on this thing.

I built and installed some 90* brackets that rivet to the hull and screw to the transom along the edges of the transom.

I installed the rear deck framing as well as got the rear hatch done. Still need to finalize the rear seat location and install the hatch light before I screw the rear deck down but I might take it for a trial run to check the weight distribution before I screw everything down.

I ran all the wiring, I still am a couple days away from being able to wire everything up, but I needed the wire run so I could cut and fit the floatation foam that goes under the floor. I the floatation about 30% done today, going to get it done first thing tomorrow.

I also got the bilge pump thru-hull fitting installed.
I am just going through the list, knocking off one thing at a time.

Back at it tomorrow and then away on business for 5 days. :?

Oh yeah I should have about 800lbs of floatation from the foam. Boat weighs probably 300 without the wood decking, motor about 150, plus battery, seats, anchor etc. Should be enough to keep 'er out of davey jones' locker.

I got some more work done, pics when I arrive back home.

I also ordered a bimini top and a trailerable boat cover. RIP bank account.

Well, just got back from Toronto and getting my *** handed to me for a week at work. Picked up my bimini and boat cover today. I think I'll do a bit more work once the hangover subdues.

Alex,

Nice work on the boat so far. I noticed you were trying to find a way to get a bit more space. My wife and I are gutting/rebuilding our 1992 Lund 14 ft DLX and decided to go with a portable/removable live-well made from a $5 Walmart storage bin. The great part is we wired the boat to have a cigarette lighter socket (it makes life so much easier). I think we have a grand total of about $60 dollars into the removable/portable live-well, but it will run in the boat or we can just plug it into my truck. I also picked up a AC to DC lighter adapter so that i can even run it in the house if we want. I used Zip-Ties for most of the support because they work well and most importantly it is waterproof and cheap :)

I figured I would share the photos to help you get some ideas to help on the storage issues. Leaving some things as portable and simple make finding time to fish much easier. We had about 2 hours total labor into it, even including getting the parts so it is a really quick way to get it done.

My wife and I drilled out a bunch of holes on the bottom side of the PVC pipe to allow this thing to act as an aerator, and we added the ball valves as well so it was able to empty itself. (what can I say I figure if we are using the bilge pump it may as well empty the portable live well too.) We usually leave it empty to save weight unless we catch some pretty large bass or catfish.

You have an exceptional talent to repair boat hulls for sure. I personally am terrified to drill any holes in our boat whatsoever, and I don't think I'll play with trying unless I have a hefty knowledge of how to repair the hull. I do know a bit about plumbing though so it seems to help for a few things :)

Hope this helps and happy fishing,
Gaiagrim

Attachments

• P1010526.JPG
    P1010526.JPG
    777.5 KB · Views: 2,490
  • P1010527.JPG
    P1010527.JPG
    870.3 KB · Views: 2,490
  • P1010529.JPG
    P1010529.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 2,490
  • P1010528.JPG
    P1010528.JPG
    788.4 KB · Views: 2,490
  • P1010530.JPG
    P1010530.JPG
    806.4 KB · Views: 2,490
  • P1010531.JPG
    P1010531.JPG
    684.4 KB · Views: 2,490
  • P1010532.JPG
    P1010532.JPG
    932.7 KB · Views: 2,490
:beer: :beer: :beer:
Looking great! I love the yellow, it is killer. Good snag on the little motor, that thing is clean and runs like a top it sounds like. Keep up the good work.

I had a good motor find over the weekend, since I am addicted to old cloud white Mercs I had to get it. Will post some stuff when I get some time...

Your "crude" drawings use autocad. My crude drawings usually involve crayons! I like what you're doing with the boat. Keep the pics coming!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318263#p318263 said:
Gaiagrim » Yesterday, 20:37[/url]"]Alex,

Nice work on the boat so far. I noticed you were trying to find a way to get a bit more space. My wife and I are gutting/rebuilding our 1992 Lund 14 ft DLX and decided to go with a portable/removable live-well made from a $5 Walmart storage bin. The great part is we wired the boat to have a cigarette lighter socket (it makes life so much easier). I think we have a grand total of about $60 dollars into the removable/portable live-well, but it will run in the boat or we can just plug it into my truck. I also picked up a AC to DC lighter adapter so that i can even run it in the house if we want. I used Zip-Ties for most of the support because they work well and most importantly it is waterproof and cheap :)

I figured I would share the photos to help you get some ideas to help on the storage issues. Leaving some things as portable and simple make finding time to fish much easier. We had about 2 hours total labor into it, even including getting the parts so it is a really quick way to get it done.

My wife and I drilled out a bunch of holes on the bottom side of the PVC pipe to allow this thing to act as an aerator, and we added the ball valves as well so it was able to empty itself. (what can I say I figure if we are using the bilge pump it may as well empty the portable live well too.) We usually leave it empty to save weight unless we catch some pretty large bass or catfish.

You have an exceptional talent to repair boat hulls for sure. I personally am terrified to drill any holes in our boat whatsoever, and I don't think I'll play with trying unless I have a hefty knowledge of how to repair the hull. I do know a bit about plumbing though so it seems to help for a few things :)

Hope this helps and happy fishing,
Gaiagrim

That's really cool, and I dig what you did there, however I don't really have a need for a live well on my boat. I decided to sacrifice some storage for floatation in the end. All said and done with everything stuffed full, I have just under 700 lbs of floatation from the foam in there, if 1 cubic foot of foam gives 62 lbs of floatation.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318267#p318267 said:
DanMC » Yesterday, 21:34[/url]"]Hi Alex,
We also have a 2 Hp Honda for trolling,probably yours is water cooled ?, our little 2010 Honda is air cooled and does great job pushing our 14.6' Lund (2010) ,have fun !

This one is water cooled! It's actually nice and quiet. Can't wait to try it out!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318269#p318269 said:
DOBSONFLY » Yesterday, 22:26[/url]"]:beer: :beer: :beer:
Looking great! I love the yellow, it is killer. Good snag on the little motor, that thing is clean and runs like a top it sounds like. Keep up the good work.

I had a good motor find over the weekend, since I am addicted to old cloud white Mercs I had to get it. Will post some stuff when I get some time...

Nice, I will keep an eye on your thread!

kensho1976 said:
Your "crude" drawings use autocad. My crude drawings usually involve crayons! I like what you're doing with the boat. Keep the pics coming!

MS paint actually :wink: Lots of pics coming up too!

Got back from Toronto Monday morning and didn't waste any time. Today I dawdled a bit in the morning since I was still pretty tired from the work trip, but I got in the swing of things by the afternoon. Still have a couple days work left but **** does it feel good to start screwing things down and know that it will be the last time I'll have to deal with it!

Attachments

• IMG_4487_resize.jpg
    IMG_4487_resize.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,760
  • IMG_4492_resize.jpg
    IMG_4492_resize.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,760
  • IMG_4496_resize.jpg
    IMG_4496_resize.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,760
  • IMG_4497_resize.jpg
    IMG_4497_resize.jpg