14' V-Hull Build - 1977 Starcraft Seafarer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuskyvilleTV

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

I'd like to post a few pictures of my build so far. This is my first tin boat build and I think there are some things I've done that I can share so other first timers (or veterans I suppose) can avoid.

Shes a 1977 Starcraft Seafarer with a 35hp Johnson. I do not know the year of the motor so If anyone can guesstimate based upon their knowledge that would be cool. It came with a shorelander trailer (in rough shape as far as appearance goes, but structurally sound). I was going to redo the whole works but I ran short on time, as the fishing season is already upon us and decide it can wait until winter.
unnamed (8).jpg
unnamed (9).jpg
unnamed (7).jpg
unnamed (10).jpg
The boat was decked (very poorly) with heavy, un-treated or sealed, water logged and rotted wood. There were literally two sections of 2x12 under the floor acting as "supports" that I had trouble lifting out of the boat when I tore it apart. Anyways, I was going to leave everything the way it was with the green astro-turf carpet and all but on my first outing I almost sunk the whole unit. Turned out 3 entire rivets were missing from the very far back of the hull. So that's when my original plan to redo it all together came into play.
unnamed (11).jpg
unnamed (13).jpg
unnamed (12).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
Anyways after all that bologna I got everything pretty much cleaned up. I replaced the bottom missing rivets with new rivets, and put a large goop of 3M 5200 on each of them. I get the stuff for free so I was more than generous. Also, after I replaced the rivets, I filled the boat up with the garden hose to check for leaks anywhere else. There were a couple of other seams and rivets with slow leaks, that I marked with a sharpie, and fixed with more 5200.
unnamed (4).jpg
Here's a picture of the boat as it sits in the garage. I will show some pictures of framing and everything as I break it apart to seal the wood tomorrow. My next steps are to cut out the hatches, then take everything out to seal it in rustoleum protective enamel. I used 2x2's for the framing and a few 2x3's for the floor. While the paint is drying I'm going to put the livewell and bilage plumbing together, as well as start on the wiring. Ill post pictures of all that as I go. Let me know what you think!
unnamed (6).jpg
unnamed (14).jpg

Welcome Aboard !

yeap - that is how nightmares are put to rest and sweet dreams begin !!!
the year and model of your motor can be determined by the serial number.
if you can post that number, someone will quickly fill you in with that info.

looking good so far

OMC model years are derived from the model #, not the serial #. They use a code where the numbers 1 thru 9 and then 0 are represented by the letters from the 10-letter word INTRODUCES, where I = 1, or where CD would be a 1986 model.

See here for other OB model guides: https://www.marineengine.com/parts/engine-model-guides/omc-johnson-evinrude-model-number-guide/omc-johnson-evinrude-model-number-guide-00001.html

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,948
Thanks for the help guys, I located the serial and model number while I was enjoying my morning coffee and found out I'm running and '81 :D The first time I went to pick up the boat he said the impeller was not pumping and he was going to bring it into the shop to get it fixed. $350 in service later they gave it back to him and I still bought it at the same price. They did quite a bit of work, and the motor has always cold started 1st or 2nd pull for me, and runs very nice. When I had it gutted I took it out on the lake and I got 26mph top speed with it, was definitely a little scary. I'm glad to have some weight now.

Musky - did the seller give you the receipt from the shop for work that had been done ??
it would be nice to know in the back of your mind what has been "professionally done"
should you have any issues down the road with it - would help you in the process of elimination.
also - there are Shop and Repair Manuals and parts books on ebay for your particular motor.

The boat is done!

Wow, just a ton of work. Totally underestimated how much work needs to be done in order to finish one of these guys the right way. Here are a few pictures of her maiden voyage the other day.
19224896_1224244631035290_2351997006795662216_n.jpg
19260402_1224244654368621_7036715061883673945_n.jpg
19260639_1224244687701951_7827936450272208536_n.jpg
19396641_1224244674368619_5356652768189999339_n.jpg

Since it was finished, the only other thing I have done is add a Garmin Stryker 4 I got for less than $100 on the back, to let me know how deep I am! I built this boat with the intention of using it for musky fishing whenever my dad had our big boat out or whenever I wanted to fish by myself. It fishes one guy like a dream, and it is very do-able with two. I'm also happy to report I got my first two-fish day in this very boat on the second musky trip of the year! I'll throw a couple pics in below. Thanks everyone!
19366571_1228391033953983_4911553292537242100_n.jpg
19420485_1228391010620652_8403505126285960037_n.jpg

MuskyvilleTV said:
Hey there everyone,

I'd like to post a few pictures of my build so far. This is my first tin boat build and I think there are some things I've done that I can share so other first timers (or veterans I suppose) can avoid.

Shes a 1977 Starcraft Seafarer with a 35hp Johnson. I do not know the year of the motor so If anyone can guesstimate based upon their knowledge that would be cool. It came with a shorelander trailer (in rough shape as far as appearance goes, but structurally sound). I was going to redo the whole works but I ran short on time, as the fishing season is already upon us and decide it can wait until winter.
View attachment 12
View attachment 11
View attachment 10
View attachment 9
The boat was decked (very poorly) with heavy, un-treated or sealed, water logged and rotted wood. There were literally two sections of 2x12 under the floor acting as "supports" that I had trouble lifting out of the boat when I tore it apart. Anyways, I was going to leave everything the way it was with the green astro-turf carpet and all but on my first outing I almost sunk the whole unit. Turned out 3 entire rivets were missing from the very far back of the hull. So that's when my original plan to redo it all together came into play.
View attachment 8
View attachment 7
View attachment 6
View attachment 5
View attachment 4
View attachment 3
Anyways after all that bologna I got everything pretty much cleaned up. I replaced the bottom missing rivets with new rivets, and put a large goop of 3M 5200 on each of them. I get the stuff for free so I was more than generous. Also, after I replaced the rivets, I filled the boat up with the garden hose to check for leaks anywhere else. There were a couple of other seams and rivets with slow leaks, that I marked with a sharpie, and fixed with more 5200.
View attachment 2
Here's a picture of the boat as it sits in the garage. I will show some pictures of framing and everything as I break it apart to seal the wood tomorrow. My next steps are to cut out the hatches, then take everything out to seal it in rustoleum protective enamel. I used 2x2's for the framing and a few 2x3's for the floor. While the paint is drying I'm going to put the livewell and bilage plumbing together, as well as start on the wiring. Ill post pictures of all that as I go. Let me know what you think!
View attachment 1
Did you ever get any photos on the framing? I have a 16ft starcraft that I'm getting close to framing for floors but I am looking for more specific examples unique to our boat design with the deeper v-hull. I have access to a scrap yard here in Phoenix for great deals on aluminum angle but figuring out how to start the base has got me in paralysis via analysis mode. Some photos of how you lined and leveled yours up, what you attached the base to, etc, would really help a brother out. :D

Nice work by the way!

I'm currently building basically the same thing ... anything you would do different ? How's the stability or flex without that middle seat.

Latest posts