15' Mirrocraft Modified V John Boat Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick Jones said:
Back to the SteelFlex: Did you use two coats or just one? Also, do you have to use a self etching primer for the steelflex. i know you have to in order for paint to stick to aluminum but i didn't know if the same went for the steelflex.

I used the 2000 version which has teflon in it. According to Jerry at Fasco, you shouldn't do two coats because it may have trouble adhering to itself on the 2nd quote.. He also told me priming wasn't necessary just scuff it up good with 60-80 grit(yeah rough stuff). I have to agree with that recommendation. It adheres really well. My recommendation is put it on thick because it will self level. It also looks much better and goes on much easier and sets up faster if it's thicker. I was worried I wouldn't have enough but, I bought a gallon and didn't use it all I probably have 2-3 cups left over.

If I had to do it again I would actually buy the cheaper version of the Steelflex. I thought the 2000 might look better but I doubt it does. It has a pebble like texture and I think with the teflon it might run/sag a bit more. Make sure to do it when it's 75 degrees or warmer. I live in WI and I did it in a heater garage. I don't think it was hot enough and it sagged an a few spot. If it's warmer it will set faster. If you plan to have a two tone, I would try to just run the steelflex to the waterline and paint above that. I wish I wouldn't have brought the Steelflex up so high on my boat, because the paint looks much better than the steelflex......but the steelflex was more about making sure the boat was sealed rather than the look.

nice work .. i like the little accesories u did .. like the switches and the little extras very nice ..

No, I still have this one. I just couldn't pass up the deal($550) on the new one I'm currently working on. I live on a small 50 acre lake electric only and the Mirro should be perfect for fishing on it. I can just pull the 25 Johnson off when I'm fishing at home The only problem is it's a little small for big water like Lake Michigan which is about 1/2 from me. The Sea Nymph would be better for that. Also with 2 small boys I'm a little concern the Mirro might not be deep enough. I have to sell one come spring, just not sure which one yet. Given the amount of time I have invested in the new one, it might be hard to let it go.

SOLD...$3200......made about $700 on the deal. So for the winter that was two boat build only ever got one in the water after it was completed. I decided to get something a bit bigger for my 3 year old and I to fish bigger water. Let the search begin.......

Latest posts