16 ft 1979 Mirrocraft Motor Pairing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockfishnc

Reaction score
Hello. Any feedback if a 2021 20HP Tohatsu would be big enough to get on plain for 16 ft mirror craft with a 6' 2" beam? Would remove the wood deck. Generally use the boat for crabbing with 2-3 adults and 5 full size pots. Engine is currently paired with a 16 Fisher flat bottom boat with a 5 foot beam. Current set up planes easily, cruises at 18-19 MPH top ends at 25. Not concerned about top end speed as much as getting on plane and not overly stressing the engine.

FB mktplace link of boat is here:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/714013209746961/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A8892a863-f8dc-4990-b42f-89f610007f56

Looking at finding a boat that can cut through or handle choppy water a little better.

Many thanks for any insights,
Greg

I have the 2022 20 on a 80's 16 with 6'2" beam. I ripped out all the wood and went with aluminum stringers on every rib and 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. I am strictly salt water in New England from Gloucester to Cape Cod. Seaworthy platform wet ride in chop and some end. I get 23-24mph which for me is adequate by myself. My only issue is slow speeds. 2-2.3 at lowest speed. Tohatsu Rep said you cannot lower the 20 anymore. However, if you bought the 2022 25 that model could be turned down. I was not too happy with that. I don't troll so it's ok I guess, except for tight spaces it's a pita.

I think you might have problems with a full load getting on plane with it. I'd go with a bigger engine but I prefer bigger.

Alone you would be fine but adding 2-3 people and gear will definetly slow you down !! I have a 16' but with a 76" beam and have a 40 hp that works perfect. Even with 3 adults and gear it planes out easily. Mine does have extra trolling batteries, casting deck and side console. I would shoot for 30 hp at least, but in reality, I woukd consider a bigger outfit. Not all 16' 's are the same, I am familiar with the Mirrocraft line, have owned a couple over the years, nice boats but...they are a small 16' boat, in regards to depth and beam. Just moving up to a bigger 16' would make a big difference in open water..

Latest posts