1860 Tracker Grizzly Rebuild Project...Tower Boat Build!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately it was another slow week on the boat, but the tower is out for final weld up and I went ahead and popped the back deck. I removed the old foam and have a decent idea of what I want to do. My plan is two approximately 20 gallon live wells one on each side with a rear access port for plumbing and wiring. Hopefully this week ahead is more productive.
20190514_195008.jpg
20190516_181410.jpg
20190516_182159.jpg

Got the livewells built and fitted over the last couple days. I still need to frame/gutter the the top edges and build lids. They're not ideal with squared off corners, but it was the best use of space building them this way and following the side of the boat. I also have the deck trimmed and ready to reinstall.
20190523_181157.jpg

Spent a late night in the shop on Friday and managed to get the decks prepped, primed, and Kiwigrip applied. I'm satisfied with the results for my first time using any of the products involved. Only time will tell how it holds up.
20190524_182839.jpg
20190524_215336.jpg
20190524_215421.jpg

Great looking project you have there! I have never seen a boat with a tower like that before and I was wondering what exactly is the purpose behind the elevated platform for operating it like that?

Jesse Justin said:
Great looking project you have there! I have never seen a boat with a tower like that before and I was wondering what exactly is the purpose behind the elevated platform for operating it like that?

It's for the change of scenery! The elevated platform is great for sight fishing. You'd be amazed at the difference of 3' makes in being able to see fish. The "tower" boat thing is pretty centered around the gulf coast from Florida to Texas.

Finally a bit of progress. The tower is complete and back from powder coating. I got it mounted in the boat this afternoon.
20190619_190904.jpg
20190619_191009.jpg

The livewells are guttered, painted, and set in place. I still need to plumb them to be complete.
20190619_181239.jpg

Now it's on to rigging and wiring.

Great work Alvarez. I love the all aluminum concept. I have a 16 foot deep V that I want to set up similar to your boat with all aluminum but without the tower. I want the ease of cleaning and the ability to leave it out in the elements also. I personnaly don't think that wood and carpet have no place in a boat, although a properly carpeted boat sure looks beautiful. Do you have any pictures or fabrication information and tips on how you did your live well hatches with the waterproofing inside lip. How do you like the kiwigrip? For flooring I have been struggling with the decission of either something like truck bed liner on flat aluminum or to powdercoat checker plate. Any suggestions now that you have dome what you have?

Nice rig!

Once when I had a livewell w/ square corners I’d take a clear 2-liter bottle and cut a tall ‘strip’ about 4” wide and glued into the corners w/ hot melt glue. Didn’t hold the best, so I finally added gooped rivets just on the top to hold it.

That stopped the baits from getting stuck in the corners - provided you had circular flow inlet - it worked slick!

DaleH said:
Nice rig!

Once when I had a livewell w/ square corners I’d take a clear 2-liter bottle and cut a tall ‘strip’ about 4” wide and glued into the corners w/ hot melt glue. Didn’t hold the best, so I finally added gooped rivets just on the top to hold it.

That stopped the baits from getting stuck in the corners - provided you had circular flow inlet - it worked slick!

I may cut some strips from a tubing later on and radius the corners. I'm just tired of messing with this thing and want to get it back on the water. I don't want to waste the whole summer working on my boat and not fishing

stomper said:
Great work Alvarez. I love the all aluminum concept. I have a 16 foot deep V that I want to set up similar to your boat with all aluminum but without the tower. I want the ease of cleaning and the ability to leave it out in the elements also. I personnaly don't think that wood and carpet have no place in a boat, although a properly carpeted boat sure looks beautiful. Do you have any pictures or fabrication information and tips on how you did your live well hatches with the waterproofing inside lip. How do you like the kiwigrip? For flooring I have been struggling with the decission of either something like truck bed liner on flat aluminum or to powdercoat checker plate. Any suggestions now that you have dome what you have?

I don't have any pictures during construction but I'll get one to help show the frame/lip. It's just two different angles welded together.
I really battled myself over what to do on the floor for years. I knew I wouldn't do carpet on a tin boat again. I don't have an opinion on the Kiwigrip yet. I'd like to get some time on the boat before I really form an opinion on it. It was easy to work with though. I would have liked to go with Linex, but just couldn't afford it at this time. Powdercoated tread plate would be way too slick in my opinion. Bedliner on diamond plate maybe.

Working on rigging and wiring a little today. It's WAAAAYYYY too hot down here in South FL for it only being June. Umbrella and two blower fans are now standard equipment for working outside.
20190623_144903.jpg

Not a whole lot new to show I've just been working on the wiring and some hatch lids. The box below the tower serves as a passthrough and junction box for the wiring and controls. It is also where the house battery will be located.
20190629_224455.jpg

The livewells have lids now. I just need to paint, kiwi, add hinges, and latches to complete them. I've added a picture of how I made the lips of the livewells to hopefully keep water in as well.

20190701_192830.jpg
20190701_192808.jpg

looks great. So looking at the waterproof hatches it looks like you used angle for each part and just welded them together. looks simple enough. Thanks

Well I finally made it out on the water today. I still need to finish up some paint and latches on the hatches, and reinstall my side panels but the rigging is done.
20190707_073242.jpg

I took it for a shakedown run and it handled about as expected. It is inherently a little more "tippy" but far from actually tippy and never sketchy. I ran 25.5 miles over an hour and a half. Even ran some marsh trails. The visibility is awesome.
20190707_073525.jpg

I'll wrap it up this week then I'm off on vacation for a week of fishing to really put it to the test. I'll post some more water pics next week.

Nice work dude. Been thinking about building a tower myself

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I say go for it as long as the tower doesn't limit you due to fixed bridges. Mine does keep me out of certain areas that were accessible before.