1954 Johnson 25hp (RD-16) back in service after decades of non-usage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pappyfromthekeys
A good customer brought this in to me a couple weeks ago to go through completely and I mean completely. When I got done stripping it there was nothing but transom brackets, exhaust housing and powerhead.
Complete new ignition on it now. This engine has a vertical double pulley/cable system attached to the throttle gears on the port side that is used to advance and retard the throttle. Kind of like a motorcycle. Everything was frozen up except the powerhead. Internals on the gearcase were the best I have ever seen for this vintage. Showed very little wear. Carb was pretty dirty but we have a 5-gallon ultrasonic at work similar to mine at home so the carb parts, ignition castings, pulleys and cables and some gearcase parts went in that. I pulled new parts and cleaned things up while the Ultrasonic did it's magic.
After who knows how many decades this engine started on the first pull prior to me doing the video on it. Had to be shut off with the choke so it took two pulls to clear the engine and one to start it for the video engine start. Engine is very tight overall and shows little time on it. For their time they were pretty darn fast and light.
Here is a short video on it for you. Was pretty cold for Florida today so this boy was wearing two shirts and a heavy jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjYPRXsD4c8&lc=UgzaZrpaK5TnLcE3QFN4AaABAg

Always amazed when I see the talent that some people have to do things like you can do, good job on that old motor Pappy!

That's the real beauty of these old machines. You can park them dirty and wet in a corner for decades and they still come right back to life. No other machine that I've ever come across has the kind supernatural life that old OMC motors do. If you can boil this hobby down to one thing it's that satisfaction of getting another one going.

That one looks cherry Pappy.. never repainted ? How's the cowl ?

It is a really good example of an original.
This particular engine was purchased with a boat several years ago up in Clayton New York. The package was purchased for the engine because it was in such good original condition. The engine owner owns an antique boat restoration business about ten miles away. Funny thing about this engine is that the engine was originally purchased from a dealer called "Mr. Outboard" (in 1954) which was located down in North Miami yet the engine found it's way to Clayton NY and was again purchased by a Florida guy and brought back to Florida!
! Have often said "If these old engines could only tell us the stories........"
The cowls are in equally nice condition by the way.

Awesome. Would love to find a 18hp joh/evin for my 1954 feathercraft favorite.

Which Feathercraft? What length?
The reason I ask is that I run one of these same engines on my 12' Alumacraft model R double cockpit boat. Just about a perfect combination.
One of these would run well on a 14' Feathercraft as well. My cousin runs a 1957 35hp on his 14' Alumacraft model F and it does a great job.
I have a video or two of the Model R on my channel on Youtube running both a 1957 Johnson 18hp and another video with the 1954 Johnson 25. Your boat would be period correct if you locate one.

Latest posts