1957 Lone Star V hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on the boat. I got most of the prep done and light coat of primer on most of the outside. Still a little bit to do. Paint is ordered and should be here tomorrow. I went with Duralux Duck Boat Drab. I plan on spraying it Friday or Saturday after work. Will keep you updated.

This is what happens when you put too much epoxy on.

Attachments

• epoxy.jpg
    epoxy.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,035
Here is the work done on the bottom to date.

Attachments

• primed.jpg
    primed.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,033
  • almost.jpg
    almost.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • start2.jpg
    start2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • starting.jpg
    starting.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,033
BeerMe said: I plan on spraying it Friday or Saturday after work.

what time will you be getting off work ?
how long will it be before night falls ?
what will the temperatures be at night there ?
will you be painting outside or inside a garage ?
are you going with oil base or latex ?

temperatures and humidity will grossly affect the adhesion of your paint.

Johnny said:
BeerMe said: I plan on spraying it Friday or Saturday after work.

Johnny said:
what time will you be getting off work ?

3:30ish

Johnny said:
how long will it be before night falls ?

little after 7

Johnny said:
what will the temperatures be at night there?

see pic

Johnny said:
will you be painting outside or inside a garage ?

most likely sprayed outside but rolled in the garage when done

Johnny said:
are you going with oil base or latex ?

Duralux marine paint, I just checked about 4 different sources and none of them mention either of your choices... The only thing I saw was Durable, water resistant alkyd enamel.

https://www.bottompaintstore.com/duralux-camouflage-paint-gallon-p-10803.html

Does it seem like a good plan or bad plan? I should get the paint tomorrow. The high will be 88, low of 51, and 51% humidity. Would it be better to try and start tomorrow is that too high of humidity?

Attachments

• weather.png
    weather.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,028
in my world, with my past experience, you will get very good results
if you have about 4 to 6 hours of temps ABOVE 70 degrees.
alkyd enamel is oil base...... thin and clean up with mineral spirits.
a few manufacturers make a latex water base paint and call it alkyd enamel,
but it isn't the true form of oil base paints.

good job so far !!!

Read, Understand and Follow the directions on the label of all coatings you use.

Johnny said:
in my world, with my past experience, you will get very good results
if you have about 4 to 6 hours of temps ABOVE 70 degrees.
alkyd enamel is oil base...... thin and clean up with mineral spirits.
a few manufacturers make a latex water base paint and call it alkyd enamel,
but it isn't the true form of oil base paints.

good job so far !!!

Read, Understand and Follow the directions on the label of all coatings you use.

Thanks for the information! I will check the paint label tomorrow when it gets here. I may pick your brain about spraying as I have never done it. I will check what kind of gun my dad has and get the specs of my compressor so I can provide more info with my questions.

I sprayed my boat with a Ingersoll sprayer from tractor supply. It did a pretty decent job, although I had to fiddle with it a little bit. I only wish it had a fan tip on it that sprayed a larger coverage area.

I used rustoleum, thinned it down with 8 oz of thinner, to 16 oz of paint. Added some hardner to it and sprayed it on when it was about 80 degrees outside. I am happy with the paint. It came out smooth as glass, and I am happy with it.

CrappieSlayer36 said:
I sprayed my boat with a Ingersoll sprayer from tractor supply. It did a pretty decent job, although I had to fiddle with it a little bit. I only wish it had a fan tip on it that sprayed a larger coverage area.

I used rustoleum, thinned it down with 8 oz of thinner, to 16 oz of paint. Added some hardner to it and sprayed it on when it was about 80 degrees outside. I am happy with the paint. It came out smooth as glass, and I am happy with it.

How big of a compressor were you using? My spraying plans didn't work out so I ended up having to paint the whole thing with a 4" roller and a brush. It sucked.

This is the first coat. I think I might do some very light sanding before the second coat. Since I had to use a roller I didn't get real even coverage. Not real happy with it but I do like the color. I think the 2nd coat should look better. I suppose it's just gonna get scratched up anyway so why worry too much. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• paint1.jpg
    paint1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,004
  • paint2.jpg
    paint2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,004
  • paint3.jpg
    paint3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,004
Finally im legal! I went the cheap route thinking if it turned out crappy i could just paint over it but im happy with it. Kind of reminds me of an old ww2 jeep. Its finally my weekend so im gonna go to the lake tomorrow. Ready for duck season now!

Attachments

• 20151021_202057.jpg
    20151021_202057.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 981
  • 20151021_193807.jpg
    20151021_193807.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 981
  • 20151021_192008.jpg
    20151021_192008.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 981
One more quick pic with the old 1965 Johnson 9.5 hp (excuse me for thinking it was a 9.9 before). It wont be staying white although i kind of like it.

Attachments

• 20151021_204149.jpg
    20151021_204149.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 977
Beer, I find it ironic that you want to paint your good looking motor camo
and I want to paint my ugly camo motor back to original Rude Blue !! LOL
I am about done getting my '69 9-1/2 cleaned up. I hope it runs as good as yours !!
On your motor, have you had any serious issues since you have had it ?
I personally have never had a motor smaller than a 25 Johnson so the 9.5 is a new critter for me.

You have done a great job so far !!!! good luck with the ducks

Johnny said:
Beer, I find it ironic that you want to paint your good looking motor camo
and I want to paint my ugly camo motor back to original Rude Blue !! LOL

LOL yea I have been thinking if I ever want to get something bigger or get a different boat someone may not want it green. Been thinking about just getting a cover for it.

Johnny said:
On your motor, have you had any serious issues since you have had it ?
I personally have never had a motor smaller than a 25 Johnson so the 9.5 is a new critter for me.

I have only had it out 3 or 4 times since I got it cleaned up and running. And it had been pretty well taken care of and used often by the PO. But no I have not had any issues except for it dying and not wanting to do anything but idle the time before last I had it out. It was back to running like a top after about 5 minutes of starting it and it dying when throttling up. I have found that at a certain RPM which is pretty low it vibrates a lot. Not sure what that is from but when its throttled down or WOT it runs really smooth and nice.

Latest posts