1960 Arkansas Traveller mod/restore?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoTracer

Reaction score
Hey guys! First post here, I'm a soldier stationed in South Korea and coming home on Saturday - when I was 16 I inherited my grandfather's rowboat, and have since added a 5hp Briggs 4-stroke plus some rod holders. Now that I'm going to tow it 2000 miles to my next duty station and I have a bit more budget being 21, I'd like to restore it into a fishing machine

I've seen lots of decking/compartment mods, and would like to do something similar - but it's a bit skinny for good stability I think. Definitely want to take out the middle seat though if it's structurally sound enough?

I plan on sanding down everything, repairing the split joints on the transom with some aluminum brazing rods, and replacing the wooden bench seats then painting everything and probably adding some carpet. The idea is to be able to leave all of my tackle in the compartments locked up, as i won't have a garage in Georgia, maybe just a carport.

So far I've purchased 2 seats/swivel/post sets (7&13inch), a 30lb minn Kota, a few nylon cleats, anchor etc. Seen laying in the boat.

Anyone have some suggestions or tips? I will be doing the work on my leave this June and towing the finished product around July 4th.
Pics make it hard to see the structure/floor I'll get some better ones once I arrive in the states

Thanks!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433236705.911958.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433236725.628967.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433236739.212741.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433236751.959047.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433236765.459636.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433236780.492565.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433236794.376389.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433236814.242923.jpg

I am adding a post for my old boat. It will be my maiden post in the site as well. Look for the Montgomery Ward Sea King. It's a little bigger than your boat, but the layout is similar. Hopefully some of my ideas will help you. Craigslist is a great resource for accessories, but you won't find the best deals until fall or winter.

Should be a fun restore.

There are a bunch of folks here who can advise how to keep it in period.

Oh, and - Thank You for your service.

:USA1: Thank You!

:WELCOME: aboard! I hope you find this site as interesting and helpful as I. Everyone on here is friendly and eager to share their knowledge.

If I may ever be of help to you, please let me know. :)

You are very fortunate your Grandfather gave her to you. :wink: I'll be watching the build! :D

Safe journey home. [-o<

M
Tyler, Texas

I'll be in NY on leave at my parent's lake house... Then off to Ft. Benning Georgia

Not quite 2000 miles haha but that's what the transportation office approved me for... Might take a few side stops for sightseeing along the way

TangoTracer said:
I'll be in NY on leave at my parent's lake house... Then off to Ft. Benning Georgia

Not quite 2000 miles haha but that's what the transportation office approved me for... Might take a few side stops for sightseeing along the way

Welcome to the South! With all the rain we've had, you might want to bring extra mosquito repellant! :LOL2:

I'd take some stops too. See all you can and enjoy just being home. :)

:USA1: Welcome Home Soldier, WELCOME HOME :USA1:

I passed through the Seoul airport 3 years ago when they had the
snow storm of all snow storms !!! That is when [I think] was the record
that all of South Korea was under a white blanket at the same time.

Good Luck on your build and hope you have a smooth
transition into your next duty station.

I'm still in NY, I decided to scale down the boat work because the fish were calling to me haha

Been out in it a few times and it's way more comfy plus effective for trolling... And caught the biggest rainbow from my home lake today!
Will post pics when I get the chance, hopefully will get around to painting it first

Checking on you and your boat. Hope you have made it on to your post in Georgia. Nice and hot and steamy this time of year. :LOL2: Stay away from the alligators down here in the south! (Crocks, too, over your way.)

Hope you got to take your boat with you. Keep us posted.

M
Tyler, Texas

Latest posts