1960'ish Sea King New Life.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before and After. The Sea King came with a Minn Kotta trolling motor, the Johnson I had for years and years.........Found a solution to my long shaft short transom:

https://reviews.basspro.com/2010/8782/mini-jacker-for-clamp-on-outboards-reviews/reviews.htm

BeforeandAfter.jpg

Took the little Seaking to Arivaca Lake today to see how it runs after the modifications.......I still need to raise my transom about 4 inches so the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the boat. It wants to plane out but the motor is too far in the water and it digs in. I am getting a whopping 11.5 MPH out of the little de rated Belguim made Johnson. Not too bad I think. It does move the boat pretty good across the lake........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GFFwJmVFU

101_1487.jpg

101_1548.jpg

101_1553.jpg

101_1523.jpg

101_1554.jpg

101_1489.jpg

Looks like you've about got it ready to use. Just add that little jack plate from BassPro and you'll be set. Love you got the dog with you. Hard to beat company like that and from the looks of it he's having a blast. Enjoy, I'm jealous. Long way to go on mine. :mrgreen:

I love how your project turned out. That motor is running great. Not sure how much more you can expect with the added weight, but it appears to push it nicely. Definitely raising it up some more should help though.

Here's a bare bones 14' semi-v with a 6hp for comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erkYQSYRKp8&feature=related

Upgraded to a Nissan/Tahatsu 8 HP. It even matches the boat! I raised my transom too. I got a nice lightly used 5/6HP Johnson sitting in the garage if anyone is interested! After I bought the Nissan 8HP, I found out my Johnson is de rated by having just a plate in between that carb and block. All I needed to do was open it up to make it a 6 HP again........ #-o

101_1631.jpg

101_1637.jpg

101_1652.jpg

p2080160.jpg

101_1659.jpg

101_1634.jpg

p2080164.jpg

101_1663.jpg

101_1655.jpg

Nice looking new motor. Now you're going to be forced to paint the outside of the boat to match the motor. :D I believe I'd bolt or chain it with a lock for theft prevention.

Like the home made jack plate as well. Looking strong and I bet you saved a bunch of money.

Looks like you've removed the restriction plate on the Evinrude as well. As nice as it looks, it'll be a great buy for someone.

My Bimini top came today.................The tie downs for the top were not in place till the last photo, that's why they are all over the place........ #-o I got a deck socket and plug for the trolling motor and I shortened the shaft on it so it's not four feet long anymore!

101_1701.jpg

101_1700.jpg

101_1698.jpg

101_1696.jpg

Looks ready for some Bull bluegills to me.Give me an email Sarge and let's go.Did you see Johnny Johnson at Saguaro Lake last Sunday? That's where I'm taking you to.

Awesome build! I will use some of your ideas in my build!

Whatcha got there...a DR650? I've got a DRZ400 myself.

Wow you did an awesome job! I want to do the same thing with my boat. What kind of aluminum did you use for the framing? And what kind of rivet gun did you use?

Thanks

I think I used 1 inch and 1 1/2 aluminum 1/8 thick angle and some 1/2 square aluminum along with just a cheap rivet gun from Lowes...........Same one here, I just got mine at Lowes.......I would have to go measure the aluminum to be sure but I think that was what it was.......The rivet gun is in one of the photos.
Thanks......... #-o

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-riveter-set-38353.html

Fantasic job! It looks phenomenal.

I'm thinking about adding front and rear decks with side storage similar to your set-up, but I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me. I have a '73-ish 14' Alumacraft and it looks very similar to your Sea King. How wide is your boat? I'm afraid that adding decks at the height of the seats might make it unstable or tippy. Do you have any issues standing and casting from the front or rear decks?

I typically only fish with one buddy at a time, but I will occaisionally have a third person in the boat which would force someone to be standing on a deck. I'll probably mock something up for the front deck and give it a try before I start cutting, but I thought I would get your opinion before I get ahead of myself planning it all this winter. :roll: Thanks.

Mine is 54" at the widest. I didn't put the deck any higher than the original bench seats. I have had the girlfriend, the 65lb. dog and me in the boat and didn't have any problems standing in it. As with any small boat you just have to be careful. I haven't used the seat extension yet so I can’t comment on it but I don't think there would be a problem. Almost all the foam that was built into the original benches is now under my floor as well as the 3 gallon gas tank which is built into the middle bench. I kept everything as low as I could. The decking is 15/32 plywood over aluminum framing. The boat sat in the garage for a week or two till I got the idea of what I wanted to do with it straight in my head. It then took me like five or six hours a day over like about five days (one day a weekend) to do what I needed to do to make the conversion. Never played with aluminum or rivets, have always been a wood and nail guy. It was easy to do. It is still light enough for me to remove the boat from the trailer to be able to work on by myself. Sold the little Johnson for a little less than I paid for it over 20 years ago. Right now it's cold here in Az. and I haven't had the new motor in the water yet. About the seats, if you sat on one of those square throw cushions, you sat about at the height of my seats now. #-o Usually if I stand in the boat, I stand on the floor not the elevated portions and the floor is only inches above the hull of the boat at most.

Hi I'm using your project as a template for my boat. I have all my bench seats out of the boat now. I'm ready to start framing but I cant find anything like you used here (see attachment). Where did you get those? Were they a part of the original bench seats? Do you know of anything else I could use to attach to the sides? Have been to a couple hardware stores and haven't been able to find anything like that.

thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 101_1067.jpg
    101_1067.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 4,757
manley09 said:
Hi I'm using your project as a template for my boat. I have all my bench seats out of the boat now. I'm ready to start framing but I cant find anything like you used here (see attachment). Where did you get those? Were they a part of the original bench seats? Do you know of anything else I could use to attach to the sides? Have been to a couple hardware stores and haven't been able to find anything like that.

thank you for your help!

I'm pretty sure those are the original bench brackets. Mine had similar ones, but I'm afraid to use them to support my front fishing platform. They probably help provide structural support so I was going to try and put 1 aluminum crossbeam back in. As to what they are... I'm thinking they are just L-brackets riveted into the side of the boat. I'm a rookie at this stuff, and I'm using a similar design. Good luck with your build dude!

here are my brackets:

PC200475.jpg

nice looing boat !!!!! how did you attach the deck and the flooring? Did you screw the plywood into the suports then carpet over top ? Are they removable and secure.