1960'ish Sea King New Life.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vanbc said:
nice looing boat !!!!! how did you attach the deck and the flooring? Did you screw the plywood into the suports then carpet over top ? Are they removable and secure.

I was wondering this myself, so I'm bumping this thread. AWESOME JOB!!!! I'm looking to add a deck extension on my G3 1544 and was going to just use wood framing because that's all I've ever worked with. I'm thinking now I may have to play around with some metal.
For all you guys that have used alum "L" supports and 1/2" ply for decking.......is it as sturdy as 2x4 framing would be? I know it will hold or you wouldn't use it, but I'm just wondering how bouncy it may be. The deck I am working off has NO bounce at all.....
Thanks

Hey Stiglitz,

I have a few questions...
BTW, this is an awesome site, thank you fellows for sharing all you do...

1) Where did you get the aluminum angle bar (L shape)? I checked my local hardware store and they want like $17 for 7 ft 1x1x.58...I said what? and I will keep looking
2) I have exactly the same boat you have and I will use your project as my template, I have a few parts missing though, the top of the boat's wall, the trim where your bimini is attached to, where do I get that? You know, the part where the oars holder is attached to. Also, my stern bracket is missing (the part where the front light is attached to) do you know where I can get these parts?
3) How did you figure the height of the floor, how high from the bottom of the boat is it?
4) again, where did you get the decking brackets, it looks like square aluminum tube just cut at the edges

I appreciate your help in this matter, your boat rocks :)

Regards,
Mark

Report this postReply with quote

Hey Stiglitz,

I have a few questions...
BTW, this is an awesome site, thank you fellows for sharing all you do...

1) Where did you get the aluminum angle bar (L shape)? I checked my local hardware store and they want like $17 for 7 ft 1x1x.58...I said what? and I will keep looking
2) I have exactly the same boat you have and I will use your project as my template, I have a few parts missing though, the top of the boat's wall, the trim where your bimini is attached to, where do I get that? You know, the part where the oars holder is attached to. Also, my stern bracket is missing (the part where the front light is attached to) do you know where I can get these parts?
3) How did you figure the height of the floor, how high from the bottom of the boat is it?
4) again, where did you get the decking brackets, it looks like square aluminum tube just cut at the edges

1. I got the Aluminum at Home Depot and it was expensive. Try recycle or junk yards.
2. I don't quite know what you mean, the rim, edge, it was on the boat. Where the front light is mounted that was part of the boat too. As well as the Stern brackets. You can make those out of aluminum plate.
3. One guy on here showed me he filled his boat with water and marked it off where he wanted the floor. I just measured it, from flat area to flat area on the spares. The height will vary with the shape of the hull but the floor will be level. I have more space between the floor and the hull up front from the curve than I do in the back where it is almost flat. I used a level from one floor beam to the next and so on to be sure. I stuck all the foam that was under my benches between the floor and hull.
4.The brackets are just "L" shaped aluminum. If you mean the other things that are painted olive drab, those are the original bench brackets I used to hold the new decking in place along attachment points for the aluminum angle....... #-oIf you mean the plastic brackets for the Bimini, they come with it and are replaceable in both nylon or metal.
My carpet is thick so I hade a B!@&* of a time trying to use piano hinges on hatches so just cheated and used factory hatches. :oops: We have small lakes in Tucson and are limited to 10 HP and under but up north, there are nice lakes. I have lots of storage area in the boat. Both sides, the rear and up in the bow area. I used to have a real boat, a SeaRay 160 but sold it when I moved here because the lakes were all down from the droughts we had for several years. You couldn't use the lakes. The floor is screwed with stainless screws and finishing washers to the aluminum brackets under it. Stainless screws for everything. You can remove the screws and take up the floor and side panels real easy if you have to. There are little "L" Brackets of aluminum behind the vertical panels you cant see so you cant kick them in. To remove the floor, first remove the vertical gray panels then you can take out the screws and finishing washers holding the floor and remove it. With an electric screw driver it doesn't take long.

100_1735.jpg

100_1438.jpg

100_1491.jpg

Very nicely done! You set the benchmark pretty high.

I picked up my hull (12' Sea King) last week and hope to get a motor (6 hp Johnson) tonight.

If I can get my rig half as nice looking as yours, I'll be happy.

Hi...I don't know how often you check into your posts but, I have the same boat...more or less. Mine is a 1967-ish 14' Sea King with 4 bench seats. I found your post while cruising the site for ideas and gathering information on different aspects of boat modification. I have to say that you have provided me with some inspiration on how I want to do mine. I have some questions for you if you don't mind.

1. Is yours a 12' Sea King? I didn't see where you had stated the length or if you did I missed it.
2. Could you tell me your dimensions and max. weight capacities (limits).
3. Now, that you have been out on the water with it...how does it ride with all the mods? Is it tippy?

My capacities plate is covered up by an aluminum plate reinforcing the transom and I can't see my info. If yours is a 12' boat at least it will get me close to mine... btw, I think you did an awesome job on your mod and hope to hear from you soon.

1. Is yours a 12' Sea King? I didn't see where you had stated the length or if you did I missed it.
2. Could you tell me your dimensions and max. weight capacities (limits).
3. Now, that you have been out on the water with it...how does it ride with all the mods? Is it tippy?

mine is 14 ft. Actually, 13.6. It is 54" at the widest. It's old so there was no USCG certificate max weight or HP rating on it.

It isn't tippy at all, very stable. I didn't go above the original height of the bench seats that were in it. With me, the GF and two dogs, I have no problems with it. It will do 20+ mph with me and the big dog in it and the top down.

698 (3).jpg699.jpg700.jpg

Wow!!! Amazing job!!

I have a similar boat, 15ft Sea King and am wanting to just put a floor into it for right now.....I noticed on some of the pictures that your framework is aluminum, which I had planned on using, but I'm concerned about using rivets....could a guy get away with using "liquid nails" to attach the ends of the aluminum to the framework of the boat?

ANY help you can give to me for this process will be HUGELY appreciated!
Attached are pics of my Sea King...

Just bought a 1969 Sea King. 12 foot. I am Inspired! Great job! =D>

Did you weld all of the framing to the boat?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164367#p164367 said:
Sgt. Stiglitz » 14 Oct 2010, 00:08[/url]"]Yea blue and gray would look nice. I don't know what paints you guys use on the outsides. I would get a sprayer as I already have a compressor. I dont think I want to rattle can it........My charcoal gray carpet should be here this weekend. I will have the wood work ready for it when it comes. So far I have used a gallon and a quart of carpet glue! I put a hatch(screw off) over the gas tank last night. I want to hinge my side storage areas but they are not square and follow the curves of the boat. I don't know how that would play into the solution......

Thanks.

Great Boat! What paint did you end up using?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363942#p363942 said:
bobberboy » August 20th, 2014, 3:25 pm[/url]"]This boat was referenced in another thread and I thought I'd bump it back into circulation. What a nice job. Well planned and well done.
He did a nice job on it. Just finished reading thru the entire thread.

I hope I'm not breaking forum etiquette by bringing an old thread back to life. (new here, great site!)

I recently acquired an old Sea King myself. Although she's fine to get me through the summer I'm planning my over haul for the winter. My top priority and concern is getting the floor in. I'm a pretty fair woodworker so I'm confident in my ability to deck it out but the aluminum framing is throwing me for a loop.

How are the bottom deck brackets you installed over the boat ribs at the ends? I clearly see the center supports and I see what looks to be rivets on the ends. What to the rivets fasten to? The boat bracket itself? Do they go through the hull itself? I'm a newbie to all these modifications and putting holes in the boat is a bit of a head trip.

Thanks,

Marc

Latest posts