1960's Sea King modification/deck/floor help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamnco

Reaction score
Hello all , I have been reading about / looking at pictures / youtube videos on deck/boat modifications. I have a 1960's Sea King 14 foot. I'm not sure if this classifies as a semi v or v boat . I have included pictures of what i'm working with. What I would like to do is extend the front bench seat all the way to the bow of the boat for a casting deck. I'm torn on what to do , if I should leave the existing seat , and just build a framework right next too , and on the same level as the existing bench seat all the way to the bow , or if i should take out the existing seat top ( 3/4 plywood) and put a new solid 1 piece of wood to make both the seat+deck and add /frame the support on the bottom. The second part I would love to put in a small floor to keep from walking on / in between the ribs of the boat , and carpet it. I've looked at several framing jobs and i'm not sure what to do. If possible I dont' want to screw any holes into the boat itself, I would like to just frame out the floor and set it inside. To do this i'm not certain if I should lay wooden 2x2's across the width of the boat that are held up slightly above the ribs? Or if i can lay the pieces right on top of the ribs with no problem. I'm also considering removing the middle bench seat and making the floor extend the entire width/length between the stern bench seat and the front/bow bench seat. Any tips on framing or anyone with experience on a similar boat would be helpful.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    598.1 KB · Views: 363
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 363
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    582.6 KB · Views: 363
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 363
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    546.4 KB · Views: 363
Hey Bamnco, looks like you have the same boat as me. I removed the middle bench and my floor will extend from the back bench to the deck that will be in the bow. As far as framing for the floor, im still trying to figure out what I'll do. My casting deck will be supported by a 2x2 frame that I'll will be attached to the front bench. Check out the link in my signature, good luck and keep the pics coming

Thanks for the response, I did actually see your post while I was looking for stuff to do with the boat , and I thought they were the same. The last thing I saw was you were working out the framing .... but wasn't sure if you were still active. I was thinking of taking out the middle bench seat as well and making that the floor.... How / what are you attaching the casting deck framing too on the front of the boat? And are you resting the frame on top of the bench , or right below it ? Are they just vertical supports to the bow with nothing screwed in or ?

Thanks!

I am just resting the frame on the benches. The casting deck in the front is supported by a vertical brace that I kind of rigged up after looking at a bunch of ideas on here. It's solid and the only thing its screwed into is the bench seat. I uploaded some pics from today on my thread. They should show it better.

Latest posts