1962 Princecraft Speed King

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korchar

Reaction score
Recently acquired this old aluminum boat and I am in the process of gutting and refurbishing it. It's a 15' 1962 Princecraft Speed King. I haven't been able to find any documentation or information on this boat and I am pretty sure I've thoroughly scoured all the websites and forums I can. Any chance someone here has information of this? My plan is to use this as our family backcountry camping and fishing boat.
I am planning on finishing with as much wood as possible, without adding too much weight. I am in the process of replacing the plywood transom and I am also adding a 2nd outer transom to sandwich the aluminum between (which is pitted because of the old pressure treated transom board and full of holes from a number of modifications over the years). I am also planning on making a decorative wood bow plate and refitting with wooden bench seats.

Attachments

• 20230502_090303.jpg
    20230502_090303.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230518_132554.jpg
    20230518_132554.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230502_105310_01.jpg
    IMG_20230502_105310_01.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Why not use rivets to seal the holes, having a piece of wood on the outside of the transom is going to look goofy.

No one will even see the rivet heads on the stern of what can be a very good looking boat.

Why not use rivets to seal the holes, having a piece of wood on the outside of the transom is going to look goofy.

No one will even see the rivet heads on the stern of what can be a very good looking boat.
There's a few reasons I'm going with plywood outside and sandwiching the aluminum. Most all of the holes are 1/4-3/8 (too big for rivets). The aluminum is pitted from pressure treated being on there for many years. Lastly, I am a woodworker and love the old wooden boat look. If it doesn't work out or look good I'll have to take it in to a welder, but for now I want to try this aluminum and natural wood look.

Good for you, you know what you want and you are going to do it.

If you don't mind the external work on the stern, you may consider adding floatation pods on the stern.

It would add to the floatation and stability of the boat too.

That boat is way cool….and it looks like it’s in good shape for being a 1962 model.

A 15’ aluminum boat with a 40 HP outboard would be a Speed King indeed. Does it have a 20” transom?

I suggest you seal the transom wood/aluminum interface with 3M 5200, wet install both sides and all hardware that goes through the transom.

Last edited:
That boat is way cool….and it looks like it’s in good shape for being a 1962 model.

A 15’ aluminum boat with a 40 HP outboard would be a Speed King indeed. Does it have a 20” transom?

I suggest you seal the transom wood/aluminum interface with 3M 5200, wet install both sides and all hardware that goes through the transom.
Just finished making her pretty. I ended up sandwiching the aluminum transom with 3/4" marine ply, buttered generously around all holes and inside perimeter with 5200. I have a 2014 9.9 suzuki on and she moved pretty well her first go in the water. Just posted new photos.

Cool looking old boat....wood is always a plus when it comes to appearance !! Me...I love mahogany, big fan of the old Lymans, owned a few or more over the years. Can't believe that thing is rated for 40 hp !! Can see it now with a small side console and a 40 hp two stroke....your own sports car for the water !!

Latest posts