1968 14' Lund Big Fisherman Do Over

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antiochba

Reaction score
First of all I would like to say what a wonderful site this is. I have been a member for quite some time. I have spent hours researching how I would like the 2nd restore to come out. I originally added a front and back casting deck from plywood. I thought I had sealed it correctly but this was not the case.

Here are a few shots of the boat as it currently sits. It is off the trailer as the bunks were in desperate need of replacing. I have pulled the old bunks off.

I will also be replacing the winch as I think it is original. I will not be painting the trailer this spring as I hope to be on the water by Memorial Day.

I will be replacing the old steering console. When I bought the boat, the original cable and pulley system was in sad shape. I replaced it with a teleflex.
I hacked the old console to make it work with the new system. I want to replace it with something more rectangular.

I will not be using any wood in this renovation. I have purchased 75' of 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8 aluminum channel and a 4 x 10 sheet of .10 aluminum plate.

Boat shots

Nice boat! Excited to see what you do with it

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

How did you seal your plywood the first time? Might be helpful to others to know what went wrong. Look forward to seeing the new decks!

mgros483 said:
How did you seal your plywood the first time? Might be helpful to others to know what went wrong. Look forward to seeing the new decks!

Probably should have allowed more drying time between coats. I will not be replacing the back deck. I will be removing the middle and back benches and putting in a floor with side storage instead.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Did you use an exterior grade plywood?

No, I now know the difference between the glues used. Also. It was poor design on my part. The back deck was lower than the middle and back benches. I think water collected there .The front deck was in much better shape. It was the same height as the two front benches. I also omitted to coat the pedestal bolts and the screws used on the continuous hinges. Hindsight = 20/20.

Got the trailer bunks replaced today and the boat back on the trailer. I got a little sidetracked when the trailer lights didn't work. The truck side plug was pretty corroded. Replaced the plug and now having working lights. I got a little framing done on the front deck. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Latest posts