1969 Starcraft Mariner-V 16 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The floor is soaked with Thompson's wood preserver on all sides. After that set up for a few days, I moved ahead to the topcoat of the floor. I did a sanded floor like I have in the past, and it turned out decently:

Resized_20230109_150503.jpeg
Resized_20230109_160421.jpeg
Resized_20230109_162418.jpeg

Resized_20230109_161722.jpeg

And that's where I am right now.

This was a center console, but I'm planning to add a small side console to maximize the space inside the boat. If the rain goes away, I'll do a mock up. Trying to figure out the balance point of the boat.

Today, I got the Suzuki 25/35 running. It came in on trade in pieces, but the guy said it was a good motor. So I cleaned the carbs, put it back together, and test fired it. She started after a second and purred smoothly. Success!

So I hopped it over to the boat and lifted it on. Looks like a good fit:

Resized_20230112_173103.jpeg

I'll take more pictures after the rain passes.

Like your non-skid. That's what I did on my skiff. Any flotation under the floor? There's a lady nearby that works at a vet hospital, and they get those really thick styro ice chests with meds, and she gives them away. I cut up 12 of those and filled all my available spaces with them. They're better foam than the spray-in stuff. I swamped my skiff, and it floated just at deck level, even with a 111 pound engine. Saved my boat! TexasJim

That is the big question right now. I started out thinking I would do a front and back platform, but so much flat space is glorious

For the driver's seat, I'm planning to use a 72 quart cooler with a cushion top. Comfortable seating and much needed storage space or a place to keep fish. But I need to think my next steps out carefully

Like your non-skid. That's what I did on my skiff. Any flotation under the floor? There's a lady nearby that works at a vet hospital, and they get those really thick styro ice chests with meds, and she gives them away. I cut up 12 of those and filled all my available spaces with them. They're better foam than the spray-in stuff. I swamped my skiff, and it floated just at deck level, even with a 111 pound engine. Saved my boat! TexasJim
I encapsulated it in foam, but I think I'm going to add more. I only had to cut a little that squeezed up around the edges of the floor, but I sealed it well. I was thinking of adding some sheet foam under the gunnels in both back corners, like the newer version of this model. I think those are to primarily to cover the weight of the motor. Simple and easy and doesn't affect space much.

In the past, we have filled empty spaces with 2-liter bottles, using shots of fill-foam to secure them in place. I might do that with this one, especially if I end up adding a rear deck.

Good idea about the coolers. I have a number of those around. Thanks for that.

Hello. I am the proud owner of my gradfather's original purchased 1970 Starcraft Mariner-v 16'. Any recent pictures or update. I am finding all of this fascinating.

Some how, missed this build thread. Nice work!

I have a 1967 Mariner-V, of the shorter version, 14'. Still have it, but needs a floor replacement.

Attachments

• StarcraftMarinerV.jpg
    StarcraftMarinerV.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 1
  • starcraft1.jpg
    starcraft1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
I considered keeping it, but I didn't like it any more than my Princecraft, so I decided to sell it. The guy who bought it loves it.

Since your finished now and have nothing to do…There’s a nice StarCraft with a 70 Johnson, project boat on CL. It’s in Moyock.

Attachments

• 5F8599F2-6D91-4C85-B6A4-79BD09A29926.jpeg
    5F8599F2-6D91-4C85-B6A4-79BD09A29926.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
Nice find, especially if the engine runs. That's almost 4 hours from me. Won't go that way until vacation in Nags Head next month, but I'll probably be pulling a boat already. Looking forward to it.

Nothing to do, ha-ha! I wish!

Currently, I have an 18' Starcraft Mariner-V and a Spectrum 17 that I'm working on. Both are in good shape, and I got them for a very good price. The Spectrum is getting there. I haven't started on the Starcraft yet.