1970’s Johnson Outboard 6hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2K

Reaction score
I am looking for a repair shop for the outboard, just hasn’t been running in a few years. Can anyone make a recommendation near the Pittsburgh Pa area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since no one has chimed in I’ll take a shot.

I started doing carbs and water pump impellers on older motors for spare change :mrgreen: a few years ago and was swamped with work before I knew it.

Almost no one wants to touch the old motors anymore due to owners bailing on the motor when they get the repair bill. I charge $100-200 for a carb rebuild and water pump and sometimes a lil more if broken bolts or unobtanium parts turn up and I have to do extra work.

Most shops here would charge that just for replacing the impeller on a newer motor where they likely won’t break bolts or need to scratch around for parts.

Try placing a wanted ad in your local Craig’s list boat or boat parts section. I’m sure there’s a mechanic out there that wants a little side work.

Alternatively, you could start a thread here and we could walk you through it. :wink:

RaisedByWolves said:

I started doing carbs and water pump impellers on older motors for spare change :mrgreen: a few years ago and was swamped with work before I knew it.

Almost no one wants to touch the old motors anymore due to owners bailing on the motor when they get the repair bill. I charge $100-200 for a carb rebuild and water pump and sometimes a lil more if broken bolts or unobtanium parts turn up and I have to do extra work.

Most shops here would charge that just for replacing the impeller on a newer motor where they likely won’t break bolts or need to scratch around for parts.

Try placing a wanted ad in your local Craig’s list boat or boat parts section. I’m sure there’s a mechanic out there that wants a little side work.

Alternatively, you could start a thread here and we could walk you through it. :wink:
Thank you, I found a boat dealer in Racine that has an older Service guy that will check it out for me.

RaisedByWolves said:

Thought I would give you an update since you were kind enough to respond. The Marina Technician called me this morning and said he set the motor up and it started right up and ran well. I was shocked because it’s been at lease 20 years from when it was last used. He said he would service it and give it a look over. The cost will be $110 dollars plus parts.

Hopefully the service will include at least a water pump impeller plus new condensers. Run a bit of extra oil in it to be on the safe side. Won't hurt a thing. Also, after the service I would check the gearcase for water several times over the first season of usage. I would suspect the shift rod O-ring to be pretty dry and worn at this point.

Pappy said:
Hopefully the service will include at least a water pump impeller plus new condensers. Run a bit of extra oil in it to be on the safe side. Won't hurt a thing. Also, after the service I would check the gearcase for water several times over the first season of usage. I would suspect the shift rod O-ring to be pretty dry and worn at this point.
I will let you know when I get the invoice for the labor and parts. I looked the shift rod O-ring up on the internet. I don’t understand why the design made it necessary to have the case open to the water requiring the O-ring. I also reviewed the video on the water pump impeller and I hope they do replace it. Thank you for the advise, you sure know your motors.

Your propshaft seal, your driveshaft seal and your shift shaft seal are all exposed to water and the designs span through many engine manufacturers and from the first shiftable outboards all the way to present day. Your particular engine is around 50 years old after all !!

Could vary widely by region but that is an extremely cheap price if it includes an impeller.

As to seals, the rope seal on the clamshell lowers is my favorite.