1976 16' Lund Pike D Reborn

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I looked at the foam and it looks bad too. I did some reading on foam and buoyancy and I am still confused on what I should do. I am thinking that I will pick up a two sheets of the foam from Home Depot or Menards. I think it would be better than just leaving the water logged foam that is in the boat. I might have to put off the fishing trip for another week. I want to do the floors right. Clean it really good. Seal up all the rivets as a precaution, lay a coat of paint down on the inside, lay down new foam, and lastly install the floors and new benches.

perchjerker said:
good move

don't rush the build, you will only end up redoing it and causing yourself more work

Yeah I don't want to rush it. I only want to do it once. Today I am going to check the compression in the cylinders before going any further however. I don't want to keep putting money into a motor that might not be worth it. It ran quite well at idle when I bought it. However when you gave it any gas it would just die. I know that now after getting the carb off I know why. But It is still a good idea that I check.

I will post up the numbers I get from each cylinder in a bit.

I decided that I couldn't wait any longer. Took me 10 minutes to check it. The top cylinder was at 119lbs and the bottom cylinder was at 121 lbs. That is really close numbers. I am not sure what it should be from factory but I do believe that it is good. At least they are close to each other. plus it was really nice to hear it turn over again after being disassembled!!!! Tonight I will get gas flowing through it and do an official test to see how it runs now. :) :)

perchjerker said:
great those are really good numbers

from your symptoms I was doubting you would find a compression problem

I didn't think I would either but I was still really nervous to check. I'm glad they turned out good. I had night class tonight so I didn't get a chance to fire it up. Class went a lot longer than expected. I will have to get her going tomorrow.

I was able to find this conversion table for thickness of aluminum.

Attachments

• thickness.PNG
    thickness.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 799
I looked up the cost for 1/8 aluminum 4x8 sheets and it runs $130 a sheet.

antiochba said:
Checkout Discount Steel for your Aluminium in Minneapolis. Pretty reasonable

Funny that you mention this. I have been there plenty of times before. My father is a trucker and we used to deliver steel there.

Took me about 2 hours yesterday to get it to start. When turning the key nothing would happen. after checking many wires and following where they go i finally thought about a neutral kill switch. ended up being a little bolt that needed to be adjust two turns in so that it would engage the switch... turned the key and she fired right up and idled great. it wasn't peeing any water so i didn't run for more than 5 seconds. I took the lower unit off. Inspected the impeller, and it is pretty bad. I am going to run up to the shop and pick up a new one and oil for the bottom end.

Alright an update for everyone. Motor runs great. I replace the water pump and put in a new outlet hose for the water to come out. Started it up and still nothing. Took it apart and blew air through all the lines. Dirt/sand pieces started coming out. Hooked it up to water again and it started dribbling water which was a good start. I let it run for about 30 seconds with brown water dripping out then it turned to clear and had great flow. Tomorrow will be the first time i put it in the lake!

That lower unit kicked my butt to get back in. There was a black tube that ran with the drive shaft and the original one was a bit melted. I had to drive over to Wisconsin to a shop to get a new one. Once I put the new one in it went together with no issues. Learned a valuable lesson on that one.

Tomorrow I am going to change out the lower unit oil and head to the lake. I checked it already and it is black and smells burnt. I am thinking the PO didn't realize he had to do any Maintance at all. Either way the motor will be taken care of now and babied for a while.

Ok todays agenda is going to be changing out the lower unit oil and then I need to get a new battery. The one I have is a interstate starting battery that is 2 years old and came with the boat. I charged it and it still barely wants to crank over the motor so I am going to replace it.

I also need to pick up a new deep cycle battery for the trolling motor which I need to test first. The one on the boat looks to be about 10-20 years old and I am not sure if it even works. So I am going to give that a test before hitting the water.

If everything goes as planned then I will be starting the floors. I will post pics as I go.

Looking forward to the pics. Without them the build just isn't the same:)

I was able to get the boat in the lake today. The motor started right up. Idles perfect. However when you give it gas it runs really rough. I was able to get the boat up to almost 10mph (gps on phone). It would not plane. When giving it full throttle it runs and sounds bad. Almost like it is out of timing. The motor is a 1978 johnson 35 hp. There is a little linkage with a screw on it that you can loosen and then there is a small plate that you can move back and forth. I am not sure where it was at on the old carb or where it needs to be.

Any Help in this area would be great. I am at a loss. I have tried everything. Does anyone have the part in the manual that talks about adjust the Carb linkage timing on this motor? I have searched forums, google, youtube, and came up with nothing.

Other than that my son loved it. he didn't like it when the big boats went by and made our boat rock but not to bad for his first time out on the water! I didn't get any pictures because I was to busy trying to keep it running and messing with it.

I decided to start the floors before my trip and I am really glad I did. Yesterday I removed the back three feet where the fuel tank and battery sit. I must have removed over a hundred pounds of rotten wood and another two hundred pounds of water logged foam. I did get some pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 915
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 915
There was all kinds of garbage and sand under the foam. And it also looked like some nice made it their home for a while. The front of the boat is going to be much worse because there are three levels of rotted plywood. The PO never took the old out. Instead he just put new over the old every time it got bad.

When I took it out on the lake the other day I was wondering why it was so heavy and sat so low in the water. I'm going to get new foam and plywood this week and hope to have it finished by next weekend.

There is so much sand and dirt and water logged plywood and foam I can't even believe this thing was able to float. I am half way done removing all the crud and I must have removed over 500 lbs so far.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 896
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 896
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 896

Latest posts