1976 16' Lund Pike D Reborn

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't able to rip the rest of the flooring out of the boat yesterday. Not sure how much more I will get done this week. It looks like rain for the next few days. If it isn't to bad I might finish it up. It's easy pulling up the two layers of rotted plywood. The hard part is lifting the water logged foam out and then cleaning it all up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 910
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 910
I have been tinkering with my motor to see what the issue was when I took it out on the water. It sounded like it was missing or out of timing. Found out that it may have been only running on 1 cylinder. I am going to go get a spark tester and see which one. Then figure out if it needs a new coil or a loose wire or power pack.

I have decided that I am running out of time to get the floors in. I am going to finish ripping out the floors and do a quick cleaning. Then I am going to get some 2 inch foam board from Menards and lay new plywood floor and carpet down. I am only going to put the floor in temporally for now. I am thinking that I am going to either go with 5/8 or 3/4 exterior plywood and seal it than glue and staple new carpet down.

My fishing trip is booked for the weekend of the 20th!

Once I get back I plan to take it all back out and clean everything up better and then paint the inside of the boat. Then I will put the floors back in and screw them down. I have been thinking about making the drivers seat a live well so that might happen after the trip as well. For the front of the boat there is already a small covered portion and I might make it larger with a step down with a casting deck.

I have been searching for a new to me motor in the mean time. It is hard to find a decent used 2 stroke right now. My motor works but I want something that I trust when I have my family with.

It's still raining out but I decided to finish ripping all the floors out. Worse than what I was thinking that's for sure. Here are some pics of my progress

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 862
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 862
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 862
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 862
Once I get this boat done I plan to keep it covered and dry. That should help against future rot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 857
Also with the motor I was able to do a spark test today. Both coils are sparking as they should so maybe it was the timing linkage that goes to the carb that was causing my issues? I was able to get in touch with a guy who only works on johnsons and he walked me through how to properly adjust it. I put it in a barrel today and it now seems much better. That and I'm sure the 500+ pounds of extra water and crud and rot didn't help much.

I'm excited to see how this boat handles and floats now with all that extra weight gone.

antiochba said:
Dang Dude, that's some ugly stuff

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah it was pretty nasty. I was thinking it would be an easy project. I removed 4 different mice nests. It was gross. I'm going to let the boat breath now for a couple days. I have some wiring to redo as the PO used house wiring and duct tape for lighting and trolling motor.

Here are a couple pictures I snapped as I was calling it a night.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 860
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 860
perchjerker said:
I noticed that the battery is still hooked up while you are working on it

I would disconnect and remove it for safety's sake

Yeah that's my old battery. I removed it before I started spraying water. I usually keep the battery in the garage but I was testing the motor in the tub of water right before I took the pics.

I'm glad I am getting feed back. Thanks

Got it back out on the lake again today I wanted to test the motor one final time and see how well it floats now. The motor ran great and I was able to get it up to 26mph with phone gps. I'm very happy with that result.

The boat was much lighter and easier to load and unload. It also didn't sit low in the water anymore. The pic below are from today. Before the boat was only 6-8 inches away from the top of the boat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 844
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 844
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 844
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 844
The motor runs really well. I was very surprised and Happy that all that was wrong with it was the timing linkage that was adjusted wrong. Lesson learned.

I picked up some 3/4 inch exterior plywood and stainless steel screws tonight. I got 4 different sizes of screws because I am not sure which will work best (trial and error). After getting home I was looking the boat over quick and realized that I had 1 small piece of non rotted original piece of wood and decided to see how thick it was. The original was only 1/2 inch. Im thinking Lund used half inch because they were using the foam as part of the floor structure so it didn't bow or dip when walking on it.

I decided for now I am going to hold off on putting any foam in the boat. I couldn't decide how I wanted to do it. I was originally thinking that I would use 2 inch pink foam from menards but after looking at it I am just not sure. (I will be adding a bilge pump this weekend).

I also got a carpet sample while at menards. I am going to check and see if Cabelas has carpet in stock before making the final purchase.

Thanks everyone for enjoying my rebuild. There will be lots of pics added over the weekend of my progress.

Also for some reason some of my pictures post sideways. I am not sure how to correct this. I have tried cropping the photo on my phone then transferring it and it still won't work right. Please bare with me

(if anyone has a way that I could transfer from my phone that would work please let me know)

It would make looking at them a lot easier I'm sure.

Some progress on the floors.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 801
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 801
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 801
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 801
Today's work so far

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 783
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 783
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 783
This boat is kicking my butt on these floors. My last two were easy square cuts and this one requires much more precision. I will be glad when it's over and I get to fish!

milli said:
This boat is kicking my butt on these floors. My last two were easy square cuts and this one requires much more precision. I will be glad when it's over and I get to fish!

I just stumbled across this build and wanted to say you're doing a great job!
And certainly understand wanting fishing time, and it goes quick in Minnesota.
Good luck and I'll continue to follow your progress.
-jasper

Got the rear bench seat back in place. I am using 3/4 inch plywood and Lund originally used 1/2 so it is making things fit a little more tight.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 762

Latest posts