1976 16' Lund Pike D Reborn

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milli

Reaction score
I have been coming to this site for the past 4 months to learn more about what others have been doing to their boats. It has been over 3 years since owning my last boat which was a 70's 14' row boat. That was a great build. The boat had bench seating that I converted to flat floors and a casting deck. When I was done I had realized that the boat was to heavy and no longer steady in the water (to top heavy, you couldn't move with out the boat feeling like it was going to tip). With moving to the Twin Cities I had to sell the boat. Now three years later and finally having the space and my own garage I have began the search for a new project. I had been searching for the last 6 months and I knew that I wanted something bigger and more stable. I now have a 3 year old that I want to teach how to fish and let him enjoy the open waters like I did when I was a kid.

I ended up purchasing a 1976 16' Lund Pike D. It has a 72" beam with factory floors. It is in rough shape. The PO hadn't used it since 2012. The floors are soft, Carpet is peeling/missing/rotted, gas tank smells like an old tractor, motor runs only at idle and the trailer lights don't work. The motor is a 1978 Johnson 35 hp.

I want to show my progress through here so that if someone see's something that there is a better way of doing it then I can learn now vs starting over. I have restored/rebuild 2 other boats in the past 8 years so I have a little knowledge in knowing what I am doing, however this is my first console boat.

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,834
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,834
  • Boat 5.jpg
    Boat 5.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,835
  • Boat 4.jpg
    Boat 4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,835
The boat is now home. Here are some pictures of it the day I drove it home.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 2,714
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,714
I have about 4 weeks before a annual fishing/camping trip that I do every year comes up. For the past 3 years we have always been stuck going to the same place due to having a boat rental as an option. Now that I own another boat we get to go where we want when we want. I plan to have it mostly ready to go. I plan to rewire the trailer, replace the bearings and tires, clean the carb, replace the water pump and spark plugs, put in all new seats, and a few other things as they come up. After the trip I plan to rip out all the flooring and start over. I haven't decided yet as to what kind of plywood I am going to go with. Exterior or marine grade? (any help on this would be greatly appreciated)

I plan to keep the layout original.

Edit: I did purchase a used carb off of EBay. I took mine apart and it was bad. I figured out why it only idles and when given throttle dies. The second butterfly (I believe the Choke) was frozen in place with gunk/corrosion. I soaked it in carb cleaning for a few hours and started working it back and forth and it now moves freely and the spring brings it back to position. However just as a precaution I wanted to get another one. You can see from the pics that it is in rough shape.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,707
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,707
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,707
I have a good feeling this boat has been neglected through out its years in service. This weekend I am going to get the trailer bearings replaced. I bought new tires with rims from Fleet Farm so those are going on (4.80-12). I purchased a carb kit and plan to get the carb all back together as well. Next week I want to get this boat in the water to check for leaks and see how it handles. I will post pictures as I go though out this project!

question I have about the foam under the floor? I have seen people use everything from foam pads to the noodles that you can buy for kids. What is recommended and will last. I want to start planning out and getting all my supplies for the flooring. When I get to the floor I plan to remove everything and do a good cleaning and paint the inside of the boat before putting everything back together.

I want this boat to last me a good 3-5 years before I get a newer boat. I am not interested in adding a live well or anymore storage. This is my first boat with having any storage at all and I am happy I have that.

Keep it up. I'd love to see w he re this goes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think you made a very good purchase. Nice size, decent power plant, and really not a lot to be done to it.

Have fun, be safe.

My initial response was going to be "drop the motor off at the boat shop and fix the floors" but you sound capable and I'm looking forward to your progress. Good luck with it.

I thought about taking it into the shop. I called around and everyone wanted $250-350 just to clean the carb. I ended up just buying a carb kit for $30 and I am going to do it myself. I went to school for marine and small engine back in 07. I love working on motorcycles/dirt bikes/quads but outboards is another story! I will get some pics posted today for you guys. Plan to get the motor back together and new bearings and new tires all done today. I started the wiring but I'm going to redo it so that it runs inside of the trailer frame.

I want to do a test fire to see what it runs like now that the carb is working right.

Ok so today I was able to replace both wheel bearings and put on my new rims and tires. Only 1 busted finger so that's a plus. (Got a bit to crazy with the punch and hammer!)

The old tires were from 2005... new ones have a date stamp of 2016. I am hoping that this will help make the trailer more stable and reliable. The last thing I want is to be headed out to the lake only to have a wheel fall off :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,569
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2,569
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2,569
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 2,569
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,569
Here are some more pics of the inside of the boat.

The bearings took a bit longer than expected so I didn't get a chance to mess with the trailer lighting today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,574
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,575
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 2,575
Looks like a nice build so far. Since you have a couple weeks till your trip here is my suggestion based on the timeline of my boat. Before installing lights I would get a angle grinder and 3 knotted wire wheels and strip the trailer. It took me about 7 hours off and on, going to grab a bite to eat, spending a couple minutes cussing the thing, and running to get more wheels. If you have everything you need ready to go, 3 hours you can have that thing done. Get 4-6 cans of rustoleum rust primer, then paint it. If you put the lights in first before painting it, then when you want to paint it after your trip, youll have to rip it all back out. In a weekend you could have that trailer looking new. If you have any questions just holler.

man looks real nice!! great platform

I am interested in your comments about your old boat.

What happened there? You overbuilt it? Got any details for those wanting to avoid the same problems? (might be too late for me lol)

jparrishbt said:
Looks like a nice build so far. Since you have a couple weeks till your trip here is my suggestion based on the timeline of my boat. Before installing lights I would get a angle grinder and 3 knotted wire wheels and strip the trailer. It took me about 7 hours off and on, going to grab a bite to eat, spending a couple minutes cussing the thing, and running to get more wheels. If you have everything you need ready to go, 3 hours you can have that thing done. Get 4-6 cans of rustoleum rust primer, then paint it. If you put the lights in first before painting it, then when you want to paint it after your trip, youll have to rip it all back out. In a weekend you could have that trailer looking new. If you have any questions just holler.

I really don't have the time to paint the trailer before my trip. I am mainly focused on getting it out on the water for now. After my trip I plan to spend some time. I also want to do it right the first time and not be hurried. I want to tear it all the way down and get each piece cleaned and primed and replace all the rollers and the winch.

perchjerker said:
man looks real nice!! great platform

I am interested in your comments about your old boat.

What happened there? You overbuilt it? Got any details for those wanting to avoid the same problems? (might be too late for me lol)

Yeah I mainly fish for bass and I wanted a platform to walk around on. I got the old boat for a really good price that I couldn't turn down. I ended up using wood 2x4's for all the bracing and thick plywood for the floors. I wanted it to be solid! When you were on the front of the boat fishing off the platform if you moved the slightest bit the entire boat would rock pretty bad. I will try and dig up some old photos. the beam on the old boat I believe was only 48 inches across. That is why I wanted a bigger boat this time around. My new to me boat is a 2.5 feet longer and has a 72 inch beam. should be much more stable.

Attachments

• old boat.jpg
    old boat.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,485
  • old boat 3.jpg
    old boat 3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,486
Here are some pics that are from when I lived in Alexandria MN back in the day. This was my first boat ever. It was a old Lund deep and wide ss with a 25 hp tiller. Best boat ever. This boat is what got me started on doing boat builds. I replaced all the floors, painted the boat and trailer. redid the carpet and rebuild the motor. It was a great boat. wish I would have never gotten rid of it.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 890
  • fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 890
  • fish 3.jpg
    fish 3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 890
  • old old boat.jpg
    old old boat.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 890
  • lund ss.jpg
    lund ss.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 890
jparrishbt said:

I was rereading your post and I might just end up doing this. I might take it slow and do sections at a time. Thinking I might focus on just the front half first. I did move the winch bracket forward 4 inches so that the boat doesn't hang off the end of the trailer so much. I'm thinking this will make it track better without having so much weight behind the rear axle. I feel that it should still be another 4 inches more forward but it was all I could do without removing the trailer bracket that is welding in place. I would really like to get the boat off and replace the two front rollers as they are ripped and rotted and it can't be good for the boat to be sitting on them like that. I will post up some pics later today.

Thank you everyone for showing interest. It really makes you want to keep coming back to post!

On a side note the Carb I got off of EBAY comes today so that means I get to fire it up!!!! Might even replace the water pump/impeller today or tomorrow so I can get it in the lake and see how she does.

Alright I am super stoked! My carb came in the mail today. Much better condition than the one that came off my engine. Everything is smooth and no corrosion or pitting.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 848
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 848
Yesterday I got a lot done. My newer carb came in. I tore it all the way down and cleaned it and rebuilt it. Then I went and picked up a new 6 gallon tank and fuel hose. I also replaced the fuel hose going from the fuel pump to the carb, and the spark plugs. The fuel pump looks in bad shape but works for now. I plan to replace that this coming weekend along with the water pump. For now the motor is all back together finally and will be ready to start today. If everything goes well today I plan to head to the lake Thursday to do a test run.

On a side note: I pulled up a corner of the flooring and it is real bad. The PO just laid new plywood over the old rotten floor. The original floor crumbles in your fingers. My son is 30 lbs and he was walking around in the boat earlier that day and the floor was bowing... That's bad. I am going to have to tear it all apart before my trip. I was not planning on having to get to it so soon however if it bows from a kid I'm sure it would break with me walking on it.

I am going to start some research this week about aluminum flooring. I don't know pricing, grades, or thicknesses, time to install?? (If anyone has any thoughts or past experiences please let me know)

If it looks to be to costly to do aluminum then I am going to just use exterior grade 5/8 or 3/4 plywood and seal it and lay some carpet down.

Latest posts