1976 9.9 Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnman

Reaction score
Im going to check out an 1976 9.9 Johnson short shaft today. The guy said that he will gaurentee that it starts withing 3 pulls everytime. It was rebuilt last summer and is supposably in great shape and he only wants $200 for it so if its starts Ill but it but that puts me in another perdicament. Now I need to find a boat to put it on! I will have one before fall.

well he was full of crap and the motor looked like it came from the scrap yard. We pulled for about 1/2hr and I finally gave up. It was getting spark and fuel but would not run. I know nothing about small engines so I decided to pass up on the deal.

mtnman said:
well he was full of crap and the motor looked like it came from the scrap yard. We pulled for about 1/2hr and I finally gave up. It was getting spark and fuel but would not run. I know nothing about small engines so I decided to pass up on the deal.

I'm an experienced back yard mechanic (amatuer boat mechanic). There are 3 things and egine needs to run: 1 - fuel, 2 - spark, and 3 - compression. If you have these 3, a motor should fire. It could have a weak spark due to a bad coil or CDI; it could have low complression due to worn piston rings, but it will still run....it will just run like crap! ALWAYS check the spark on a used motor, and ALWAYS check the compression.

Whenever someone says it starts in 2-3 pulls, that usually means it doesn't run

Means is doesnt run or, it starts in two or three pulls when you pump the priming bulb 21 and a half time, while giving the motor gas, with the choke in the sweet spot that you kinda have to find after a few times out, and most improtantly be sure it has a constant mist or ether into the carb....then maybe it will fire up. :?

Im looking at a 14 ft jon boat right now with an old 7.7 gamefisher on it and I know this is a good motor because ive been out on this boat a hundred times but he hasnt got the numbers right yet to fit my budget. But he just hits a deer in his jeep and is strapped for cash so he will be seeing things differntly real soon. The motor is great but the boat needs a little work but nothing I cant handle, I hope. It does float though so that a great starting point.

Latest posts