1976 Valco 12'6" V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaKing

Reaction score
Greetings fellow TinHeads! :D

Been watching the forums since I joined based on some recommendations from locals earlier this year. Many of you restorers are absolutely magical with some of the revamp/restorations! I've been hesitant to even post this here... but here we go!

Since it's wintertime I wanted to show you some photos of what I completed this last spring on a boat I've had for about 10yrs. My end goal was for a boat that was as big as one could handle for a car topper. While also being trailerable for ease of use. I'm always thinking of ways to fine tune things. Any insight or opinions are welcomed!

OG1.jpg
This is from the first revamp I completed. Built a casting deck and added an aluminum bow piece for a trolling motor. Obviously some nice toys and carpeted/sealed plywood. It actually held up fine for 4yrs with little damage to the bow support.

HALFSHINE.jpg
Started by removing all the interior pieces and flipping the boat over. Added epoxy to all the rivets even though they never leaked. Although a metal carport fell from the snow and caused damage to the boat. Polished and put sharkhide on the hull. Since we fish/crab in the salt.

REVAMPBOW.jpg
casting deck support removed and sanded/resealed.

BUILD1.jpg
Using rivets and aluminum angle. I needed to add more rigidity while keeping weight down... and also extensions between the benches for downriggers.

BUILD4.jpg
Using PVC board I covered everything and also riveted this down. Adding hinges and hatches where I thought it was needed. Battery ended up moving to the back since I decided to switch to lithium ion(sure glad i did!)

BUILD5.jpg
PVC being installed and trimmed as needed(cuts like butter)

NUILD6.jpg
Added foam decking and trimmed. Many compliments on the fatigue absorption and comfort. Bye bye seats and G5 sliders(Amazing by the way! But heavy for me since I car-top.)

garelick1.jpg
Added a removable swim ladder and reinforced the transom. I have 3 kids and we all swim regularly so the investment was worth it. Storing I just velcro it to the oars. Easy to access from the water if needed.

BLAKE1.jpg
Blake island, Puget Sound WA. Small boat in yacht country. Wheels from NZ make this beachable to stay away from pounding waves from passerby's. Also for moving around loading/unloading and getting to difficult locations. Also added a bimini top with a rocket launcher to keep rods and the net out of the way. I added stainless steel legs to the back to keep it up in the closed position and add stability. Great for standing up and having something to hold onto!

BOAT2.jpg
Bimini open just for testing to give you perspective.

Sorry needed to post again. I have more photos to share! :)

dive.jpg
Rocket launcher in use and the old swim ladder.. out snorkling and cliff diving with the kids. Spot-lock on the bow mount motor sure is convenient.

OUTSIDE2.jpg
One of our favorite places to hang out and play.

TRUCK.jpg
On the suburban for proof. Everything is removable and is inside the vehicle. Safe from theft which is nice!

Added a Lowrance HDS Live 7 recently and one of the newer ram mounts attached to the PVC decking. Has held up well and very excited to try jigging for Kokanee this next season.

I'm currently looking into some great ideas for flotation foam/board!? I've used cut foam from Lowes up to this point to fill any voids. However now that I have the layout pretty much dialed in I'm curious on others thoughts? Spray sounds wonderful but i would need to use contractor bags and also... create channels under the seats for water flow? I have no intention of adding a floor or restricting water flow to the rear for the bilge pump to do its job.

P.S. Curious minds the 15hp 2-stroke pushes the boat loaded with all of us 22mph. Boat is rated for 20hp. Stainless prop was cheap enough for testing and went down a pitch. I won't be switching back unless needed. Along with the new stingray airo which slowed the boat down by 4mph top end but turns on a dime now.

Thanks for looking and tight lines!

Latest posts