1979 15 HP Ted William's ( Eska ) lost spark

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2strokes

Reaction score
Hello all newbie here , I have a 1979 15 hp eska with solid state ignition that ran fine . Went to go on my next trip and it wouldnt start .

I dont belive I have any spark .
I dont fully understand how to test the coils .

So far I have checked continuity on the wires that go from the main ignition part under the flywheel to the coils .
(I do not know the correct name for that) Checked continuity from the plug boot to as far down on the wire as I could . The contacts on the ignition parts under the flywheel had some very , very slight corrosion I have cleaned those up . All the parts under the flywheel look pristine . What I have checked so far is ok .

I would really appreciate help on this

Let me start by saying, "I'm an idiot". I do know, (don't ask me how) that if you pull a plug wire and stick a screw driver into the wire and pull the pull start you should get a shock. If you don't you've got a problem with spark.

Try both wires and get back to us.

I'm sure there's a better way but being no one has replied yet I thought I'd give you an answer even if it's not the best. You could have your wife hold the screw driver, lol!

Crazyboat said:
Let me start by saying, "I'm an idiot". I do know, (don't ask me how) that if you pull a plug wire and stick a screw driver into the wire and pull the pull start you should get a shock. If you don't you've got a problem with spark.

I'm sure there's a better way but being no one has replied yet I thought I'd give you an answer even if it's not the best. You could have your wife hold the screw driver, lol!
You need to modify your username to Crazyboatowner. SMH LOL

nccatfisher said:
Crazyboat said:

You need to modify your username to Crazyboatowner. SMH LOL

I used to do this all the time trying to diagnose chainsaw ignition problems. I had a collection of 40-50 Homelite saws.

One nasty shock meant everything was ok and to look elsewhere for why it won’t start.

A short series of nasty shocks all bunched up together meant you had a bad condenser.

No nasty shock meant you had an ignition problem that was either going to be expensive, you had dirty points or the kill switch was in the wrong position or grounded.

It’s a legit way to diagnose a bad condenser.

I'm new here so hope this is not out of turn. Some time ago I found this, maybe it will help:

http://enginesandmagnets.com/id16.html

I have "a small number" of broken/ parts/ need repair Eska/ Clinton outboards, and in fact just brought home a Clinton J500 tonight for 50 bucks. It however is breaker points.

Latest posts