1980 LOWE 16' total rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, are you leaving the compartments open underneath or putting some sort of box in to catch the stuff. That's a big debate in what I want to do as of right now. I'd like to have all that room underneath, but then again, not have to worry over water running through it. I also have a Lowe 1648. LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread, as it sends me in the right direction. Thank you.

For now I'm not going to close them in. The things I'll probably store in them will be life jackets ,Anchor, Rope... In the summer I may fish from 3 different boats in a week so I don't store tackle on the boat but in a Tackle bag or two. I am working on a rod locker.

If you look at the first picture on the first page you will see a space between the seats that's about 10'' wide and 6'' tall. I think I can slide 8 rod tubes in that hole that run all the way to the back of the boat about 5'. Then between the seats and the casting deck I'll build a box about 12"? wide and put a top on it. this should give me about 9' and I should be able to fit my 7'11'' rods in it easily and it will act as a step to get up to the casting deck.

No I haven't started it yet. The motor looks amazing on the outside! It has 99% of the paint still on the lower unit and the prop! Either it was barely used or was only used in deep water? Anyhow I checked the compression by turning it over with a drill and it had 115# on each cylinder so I think it will be OK. The odd thing is under the cover some of the more exposed wires are bad! I mean 100% rotten into! This is on 6-8? wires including one that's too close to the CDI box to repair. I wonder if the grounds were not all ran together or something ... I found a CDI on Ebay for $95 and as soon as it arrives I'll see if it'll start.

I'd like to get a larger (and newer) motor for it 60-85? I know 85 is above the rating but my last boat (glass) had a 200hp and I don't think the 40 will be peppy enough for my tastes.

Obviously I'll want to see how it sits in the water before I get another motor.

which aluminum brightener from oreilly's did you use? I see three on their site? is it the superior products in the 1 gallon?

Good idea HS. I need some bow weight. My anchors are light weight, but every little bit helps. Life jackets, trolling motor battery, possibly another battery for lights...I crappie fish a lot at night, and wanting to put some LEDs in, and depth finder, etc. I might frame out another box for my stuff I normally keep in a dry storage box. That will work well.

Just wanted to thank you again Salinity. This thread has been the best thus far to send me on my way to putting a deck up front.

JustinNC said:
Just wanted to thank you again Salinity. This thread has been the best thus far to send me on my way to putting a deck up front.
No problem, what year is yours & what motor do you have?

That is a bad a** boat. Your hard work and attention to details has left you with a very useable and great looking tin. Now the question....whats next?

Scott Mac said:
That is a bad a** boat. Your hard work and attention to details has left you with a very useable and great looking tin. Now the question....whats next?
Fish

You kind of went overboard on the framing, You could 2x3's and it'd be just as sturdy. Using 2x6s just add weight to your boat that you could of used for gear. But other then that. It looks pretty good.

I love those early 80's Lowe boats and I like that gray, is it massey ferguson gray???? Great thread!

Are those seats the 56" seats from BassBoatSeats.com? Did you get the matching fishing seats? If they are these are the same seats (color and style) I'm considering for a future project and would like to know your opinon of build quality, comfort etc. The tin looks fantastic by the way. =D>

Kochy said:
You kind of went overboard on the framing, You could 2x3's and it'd be just as sturdy. Using 2x6s just add weight to your boat that you could of used for gear. But other then that. It looks pretty good.
If you look I'm spanning 4'. I don't think you'd want to do that with a 2x3 unless you wanted to put some supports under it... I didn't want anything under the deck to get in the way with storage... I may have been able to have used 2x4 instead of a 2x6 and I could have used a 1x for the rim joists but as it is now the floors solid and the butt seat is solid as well....

bg64vw said:
I love those early 80's Lowe boats and I like that gray, is it massey ferguson gray???? Great thread![/quote

I just grabbed a can of Grey from my dads Body Shop. It was actually the first can of Centari I found. I just wanted a single stage paint, I didn't want to mess with the Clear. I don't have any idea what color it is but I'm 100% positive it's not Massey Ferguson Gray. lol He has all Green Tractors (20+)

hueydr said:
Are those seats the 56" seats from BassBoatSeats.com? Did you get the matching fishing seats? If they are these are the same seats (color and style) I'm considering for a future project and would like to know your opinon of build quality, comfort etc. The tin looks fantastic by the way. =D>
Yep those are the seats. I like them they are bigger than I was expecting but that's how it goes buying stuff unseen.
The butt seats are ones they had on clearance for $20 each! It looks like they are all gone now. :cry:

Thanks again to everyone for the compliments I got the new CDI box and will be trying to start it Today for the first time.................WISH ME LUCK!!!!!

I've done some work on the rod locker. This will hold 8 rods.
25A3E7B5-A15F-47A3-8E3C-70BC698908DC-1042-00000080D1E49BF5_zps96037fa9.jpg

Latest posts