1981 16’ Starcraft Seafarer Finished (New pics 6/5/12)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I experienced a mix up with my Steelflex order, when I received the invoice it stated that I ordered the product with Teflon, I wanted the original product. I’m not sure how the mix up occurred, but after a quick email the issue was resolved. These people are a pleasure to deal with. When I spoke with the gentlemen on the day I ordered it he told me to give him a call with any question I may have about the process. =D>

Today I got the motor cleaned up and removed from the boat, then I removed the boat from the trailer. The trailer needs a little attention. I'll be heading back out to finish prepping the bottom for the Steelflex in a few minutes. I'm having problems uploading pictures, I'll try again later.

30713_1398219350311_1077078176_1170322_8196567_n.jpg

30713_1398219430313_1077078176_1170323_8029348_n.jpg

30713_1398219470314_1077078176_1170324_4570080_n.jpg

30713_1398219510315_1077078176_1170325_4896359_n.jpg

I only got about half of the bottom prepped, my hands couldn't take anymore.

I need some help, I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with this. This is the area where the transducer was mounted, as you can see, it's next to the drain hole. I was thinking about plugging the holes with carriage bolts and covering them with steelflex, but I don't really want to put steelflex on the transom. Any ideas?

31763_1398342473389_1077078176_1170592_1750783_n.jpg

I think you could do a few things.

1.) Keep the bolts in, use 5200, and let it cure.
2.) Use waterweld/JB weld Marine, sand, prime then paint.
3.) USC ALL-Metal, sand, prime, paint
4.) Weld a piece of metal over as a patch, then SFlex

I'd do 1 or 2.

Thanks ober51, I'll probably go with the 5200. I hate to go through all the work of sanding, priming and painting them smear 5200 all over the place.

I've got the bottom ready for the Steelflex, just waiting for it to arrive. I started tearing the trailer apart tonight and removing the old paint. I think I may have done this all backwards, I should have started with the trailer and got that ready first. I need a two stall garage!

After work tonight I got all of the brackets for the rollers and and bunks removed, old paint removed, and two coats of primer on about half of them. It's 4am, time for bed.

I went to Home Depot today to pick up the paint for the sides, no luck. I didn't notice that it was an online only item. Now I have no idea how much to order. If I roll it on will 2 quarts be enough for the sides and transom? The bottom will be covered with the Steelflex.

For how many coats? for two coats one quart will proly be enough. i did the whole inside of my boat with one quart, but it got pretty skinny at the end. Two quarts will give you extra for now, and plenty for touch-ups later.

My Steelflex order arrived today, but I've decided to put that job on the back burner for now. I have the trailer apart and it has more issues than I first noticed, so I've decided to take care of that job first.

Yesterday I took the trailer to my father's house and he did a little welding on it. I went to Northern Tools and picked up a couple of steel fenders for $9.99, and then I found two battery boxes and a bilge pump plumbing kit on clearance at Walmart. Tonight when I get home I hope to get the rest of the sanding done and get the trailer ready for paint.

Well I've managed to get three coats of paint on the trailer over the past few days, I'll give it a couple of days before putting everything back together and mounting the new fenders.

I applied the Steelflex tonight, it's 5am and I just got done. I didn't find it difficult to work with, however it does tear up the paint rollers. I changed them often to avoid having any pieces stuck in the finish.

Ready to mix.
IMG_1484.jpg

Got the bottom roughed up and taped off.
IMG_1485.jpg

First coat on.
IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

Second coat on.
IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

Thanks Zum.

I mixed the Steelflex two cups at a time, one cup of each part. I made a trip to the dollar store and purchased two measuring cups, two ladles, plastic cups, and gloves, when I was done I threw these away. I used 6 inch foam rollers; if I do this again I'll use 4 inch rollers. The ends of the rollers which are just foam with no support did not last long.

Overall I found the Steelflex easy to work with, and had no problems doing this job by myself. Some help would have made it easier, but nobody wants to stay up all night and work on a boat with me. :shock:

I took my time with this, so by the time the first coat was on I was able to start the second right away. At the end of my first coat I had about half of a batch left, I went in for a beer, when that was pounded down I attempted to use the remaining batch. That was much harder to work with as it started to set up in the mixing cup.

I rolled this stuff out in a thin coat on the steep parts of the V and was able to avoid any sagging.

I was a little nervous about attempting this process, all I could picture was a giant mess that I would have to grind off the bottom of my boat, but I think it came out nice and I'm happy with the results.

I've managed to get the boat up on sawhorses, taped off, and the primer applied, but now the weather is working against me. The paint can says not to apply it when the humidity is above 80%. I thought about doing it tonight, I got the the compressor and gun all set up then the rain started again.

Picture of the boat with the self etching primer applied.
IMG_1510.jpg

I did manage to get the first coat of paint sprayed on today, but I'm not real happy with the results at this time. I'm hoping that a light sanding and a few more coats will improve the appearance.

Well, I've been struggling to get a good finish on this paint job, I think I'm going to leave it as is. For me, the painting has been much more difficult than the Steelflex. If I was going to do this again I would use a flat paint. I'll get a picture of the entire boat once I get it back on the trailer, I need a bigger garage.
IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

Looking good...I think I have the same boat...I am looking forward to seeing how you complete the interior...Good Luck! I have always wondered what year my boat was...The previous owner said it was 1974 but it looks identical to yours...

boat.JPG