1981 16’ Starcraft Seafarer Finished (New pics 6/5/12)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking at this picture, could you give some measurements on the layout, like the distance between each of the openings, how long is the upper deck for the trolling motor, and how high is the top rub rail to the large casting deck. Sorry for all the questions, but I have a deep v and I want a large deck like what you have, but a few have said deep v's and casing decks dont mix well. Also the side benches are a nice touch, it gives the kids a spot to fish/play and storage. The center bench is that completely enclosed or is it usable storage. You have done a great job, and I hope you don't mind if I copy a few of your layout ideas.

The deck for the trolling motor is 30" measured from the tip of the bow straight back.

The distance from the deck to the rub rail is 6" at the front of the deck and 5" at the rear.

I guess I'm not sure what you asking regarding the distance between each of the openings. Are you asking about the distance from the end of the casting deck to the middle bench, and middle bench to the rear deck?

Like I said in a previous post, fishing from the casting deck is very stable, I went ahead and measured the casting deck so you have something to compare with your boat. The deck is 52 1/2" from front to back, and 57" at the widest point.

As for copying any anything from my layout...feel free to do so. 8)

Yes, I should have been more specific, on the opening measurements I meant to say the distances between the benches, also the on the side benches how wide are they. I know that for your floor plan to work in my boat things are going to have to be different, but I figure that more measurements I know the easier it is to make the initial floor plan. By the way thanks you for your help once again.

Very nice! Love the paint color. That is about the same as I have for mine if I ever get it painted.

Summers, my casting deck is very stable as well, but is a 16' also. It will probably only get better when I add a floor. Most of these boats are pretty flat-bottomed except at the front. I imagine a smaller one could be made more stable if you have some weight down low through the flat section to sort of anchor it when you are up front (batteries, gas tank, another person). I also think width has more to do with it than v or flat. My floor is 4' wide up through the middle bench. I notice that a lot of people that do these put their pedestal seat at the back of the casting deck. I guess you always face forward when running the trolling motor. It's probably more stable that way too. I have mine right in the middle, so I can face backwards and still have a place to put my feet. When bottom fishing the tides on the coast, you anchor the front and your bait goes to the back with the flow. You want to face backwards toward your bait. Same goes for catfishing on the river. Just something to think about if you have the space to do it. My deck is pretty big.

summers said:
Yes, I should have been more specific, on the opening measurements I meant to say the distances between the benches, also the on the side benches how wide are they. I know that for your floor plan to work in my boat things are going to have to be different, but I figure that more measurements I know the easier it is to make the initial floor plan. By the way thanks you for your help once again.

The floor in the front opening measures 29.5" front to back, and 43" wide. The floor in the back opening is 31" x 42.5, both benches are 13" wide. Hope that helps.

How did you get your boat off the trailer? I am getting close to ordering my steelflex...I think I might have one more fishing trip this year...then onto to build..

Thanks!

I hooked up the trailer to the back of the truck and pulled the boat off. It was easy going with the center rollers that are on my trailer. Once I passed the tipping point I placed an auto mechanics creeper under the back of the boat then lifted the front off of the trailer. I was able to move it around by lifting up the bow and walking it around on the creeper. Once I had it painted I was able to put it back on the trailer by reversing the order.

The boat is pretty light; I was able to get it on the saw horses and flipped back over by myself.

I have to agree with UtahBassKicker. This is my favorite renovation on this site. It almost makes me want to sell my flat bottom and get an old V hull and follow your lead.....almost.

I am thinking about removing my middle bench...Did you give this any thought on your build?

It is a big PIA stepping over that bench while on the water....I will have to come up with a way to support the sides though...just wondered what your thoughts were...Thanks.

I was going to remove the bench but decided against. By leaving it in place I was able to have two separate areas, one for each of my girls. Now they each have their own area, this tends to cut down on them fighting with each other. :D

ahhhh kids fighting on the boat...classic....my boys are the same way....for some reason they have to be right next to each other and always telling the other one to move....maybe I will keep that bench afterall.....

devilmutt said:
It floats, and everything went great. With me (230lbs) and my oldest daughter (47lbs) we were able to hit a steady 26 mph on the gps. I'm not sure if that is a good speed or not, but it is plenty for what we will be using it for.

What pitch prop? I'm looking at the same motor, but it doesn't come with a prop. Will need a good starting point.

Sorry, I don't know what the pitch is and the boat is in storage until the first of April. I can post it up in a few weeks.

devilmutt said:
Sorry, I don't know what the pitch is and the boat is in storage until the first of April. I can post it up in a few weeks.

I'm so ready for the end of this Minnesota winter. My boat is in storage until May. :(
Btw, that's a real nice boat you got there. =D>

Thank you.

This winter has been horrible! We should be getting temps in the low 50's later this week in southern MN. =D>

Latest posts