1981 16’ Starcraft Seafarer Finished (New pics 6/5/12)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benjineer said:
devilmutt said:
It floats, and everything went great. With me (230lbs) and my oldest daughter (47lbs) we were able to hit a steady 26 mph on the gps. I'm not sure if that is a good speed or not, but it is plenty for what we will be using it for.

What pitch prop? I'm looking at the same motor, but it doesn't come with a prop. Will need a good starting point.

The boat came out of storage today! The prop is a 10 x 13.

Couple more questions:

1. What hardware did you use to connect the 2x2's? Screws / nails ect..

2. How did you connect the trolling motor platform to the boat/framing?

3. What hardware was used for the seat bases?

4. Are the seat bases on top of the plywood or flush with it?

Thanks!!

1. What hardware did you use to connect the 2x2's? Screws / nails ect.

I used deck screws to attach wood to wood, in a few places I used strongties.

2. How did you connect the trolling motor platform to the boat/framing?

The previous owner had drilled holes through the gunnel, I reused these holes and mounted the platform with stainless bolts with nylon lock nuts. Two of these bolts run through the trolling motor mount.

mount-1.jpg

3. What hardware was used for the seat bases?

I used stainless screws, they run through the base, plywood, 2x4, and in to the aluminum seat. I was a little concerned how this would work out and would rather have used a bolt, but the have proven to be sturdy so far. Each seat base has 2x4's under it.

IMG_1675.jpg

4. Are the seat bases on top of the plywood or flush with it?

They are on top, but once they were secured with the carpet in place they sit pretty flush. I used a hole saw and cut the hole through the plywood a bit bigger than needed.

seatmount-1.jpg

I then carpeted the plywood, after the glued dried I cut an X in the carpet where the hole was and folded the carpet through the hole then glued and stapled it to the backside.

devilmutt, great looking boat! i enjoyed reading your thread and stealin a few ideas for my jon boat build.

Rochester, MN here. what lakes/rivers do you fish?

my project- https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19237

We mostly fish the area around Elysian and Faribault, a lot of good lakes in the area. I see you fish the big river, I wouldn't know the first thing about fishing it. My river fishing is limited the trout streams around Lanseboro and Preston.

I fished roberts before with no luck. Too weedy. Ive heard good things about french lake. Ever fish it? My father in law has a place on roberts but i just drink when im there now. I am not a pro, im really just learn the river myself but it is fun. I grew up campin in wabasha but was always too cool or busy to fish with my dad. Kickin myself now because he is one of the best wellknown fisherman on the river these days.

I've never fished Roberts, and only fished French in the winter. I like to fish Francis, Reeds, Rays, Lilly, Mazaska, Shields, and Roemhildts although it occasionally freezes out.

My personal best bass (6lbs 2oz) came out of Rays Lake.

I just bought a 1978 16' alumacraft with a 35 horse Johnson tiller. I stumbled onto this site while looking for flooring ideas. Nice friggen mod. I have gotten a ton of Ideas for my project from reading 9 pages of posts about your boat. Right now, mine is sea worthy and am taking advantage of it while I can. I will be starting my tear down process probably in October with the steelflex being the first investment. What does that approximately run a gallon & how much did you use, I'm sure you said it, but don't want to sort through 9 pages of posts again. lol Thanks again to you and all the guys for posting their projects, it's a great place to hijack ideas.

Trent

Awesome job.......gave me ideas.

Go over to Kenny's Oak Grill and have a burger. Loved that place. Is George's Pizza still open? I think that was the name over by the F.D.

ROBB said:
Awesome job.......gave me ideas.

Go over to Kenny's Oak Grill and have a burger. Loved that place. Is George's Pizza still open? I think that was the name over by the F.D.

Thanks ROBB. George's is still open, but it's now on main street as is Steve's Pizza. Steve's was taken down to make room for a new county jail and Georges was taken down for a parking lot for the jail.

So how does the boat act with the decking that high? Any stability issues?

Great Job!

Latest posts