1981 Evinrude 50hp Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey_714

Reaction score
Hi guys. I recently purchased a 50hp Evinrude for my jon boat. I have a few different questions about it. I believe it was made in 1981 (model # E50BELCIC) 2 stroke. I don't know the history of this motor but was told it ran well a few years ago. I took it out last weekend and it did push my jon boat nicely! However there are a few things that "may" be issues and I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Issue #1. There is a place on the front side of the lower unit that has a strange square hole. I can't tell if this hole is supposed to be there or not, and I can't find any pictures of others online? Should I JB weld over this hole?
att00001_2019_08_11t095508_928_4a5bd51e7dae806a8607cfea4342a0be17ebfc4c.jpg

att00001_2019_08_11t095515_776_e88c42ff51e079f477adecf583e8cd26d61c8926.jpg

Issue #2. There is a small "weep hole" on the lower unit and I have seen oil running out of it several times. Some people on various forums have claimed that any unused oil from the gas will come out of here and that it's normal. Other people have said that if anything other than water is coming out, it's really bad.. It seems to look more like spent oil from the gas mixture, and less like the gear oil that I drained out. If it is unburned oil from the gas...would that normal?
att00001_2019_08_11t095519_066_1c31b8efae5703c645cc75170af93eea76cdc65f.jpg

Both are drain holes for water to escape. If those are plugged then when the water freezes the castings will split.
As far as the oily stuff coming out? Again pretty normal for a 38 year old engine assuming the shift rod seal is intact and the driveshaft seal is as well.
Check your gear oil at the bottom and see if it is normal or milky. If normal then just enjoy your engine.
Now you have a definitive answer!

Thanks Pappy! That's what I figured about the bottom weep hole, but I hadn't seen anything about that upper one.

I did drain the gear oil yesterday and there were dark green, light green and black colors coming out. No shavings that I could see. Should I have been able to see through the oil? It wasn't very translucent (transparent?) like I thought it should have been, but I have no idea how long it had been in there (the picture doesn't show all of the colors)

Attachments

• IMAG0292.jpg
    IMAG0292.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 479
It most likely was 90 wt gear oil, many folks cut corners and use that, don't. As long as it wasn't milky don't worry. If you haven't filled it back just let it drain good and fill it will a good quality LU lube. Make sure to open your top (level) plug and fill from the bottom.

Usually green or blue green oil is semi synthetic or synthetic, but not always. It is transparent when new but doesn't always appear that way, especially in a container. I'd refill it back up with a good quality lubricant and go boating!

Thanks for the input everyone, I knew I could depend on you. I ordered a little pumper bottle to put in the new gear oil and my boat will be 1 step closer to being ready for duck season!