1982 Monark 1652 bringing back to life

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my wife got me this boat about 6 months ago. So far I’ve completely gone through the engine first. A 1992 40 MSHQ Yamaha. Removed the center bench. Opened up the rear bench for storage and built and upholstered seats for it. Boat had no wiring so I’ve got that done including trolling motor attached on front deck. Now for the hull and my question. It looked like someone put some sort of tuff coat . It’s got it’s dings from the river but no leaks. After a few tests runs at wot I’ve noticed I’m loosing some of the coating from the hull. Not knowing for sure what it is I’m stumped a little. It’s pretty thick on the bottom and thins out to about a fourth of the way up the sides. It’s the thinner stuff that’s coming off but I’m concerned about it coming off the bottom as I run it more. I’m hoping it’s not some as seen on tv stuff. Any recommendations? Do I redcoat with something if so what? Should I attempt to strip it all off and start over with a poroduct and again what would that be? I’m proud of the boat and have a lot more work to do but I don’t know if that coating if covering any leaks or not now that I see it after running the boat. So I’m addressing it before anything else. The ideal thing would be to at least attempt to strip it and take the boat to the aluminum shop and let them make it new. But I don’t think that’s in the budget. I really appreciate any input. Thanks so much for this site.

Getting coatings to stick to aluminum can be tricky.

If it's peeling in some spots, it'll most likely continue. For that reason I don't think it is wise to top coat.

I would do some exploratory peeling just to see how well it is stuck. If it is flaking off just from running in the water, a stout pressure washer might make short work of it.

Unless the boat is in a slip, or you frequently bash it on sand bars and stuff in the river and want the protection, I don't see any reason to not leave it bare.

Thanks for the reply’s . Greatly appreciated. I’ve done some picking and the bottom seems to be holding pretty good. It’s the thinner coat that’s on the sides . I bet a pressure washer would peel that part for sure. I’ll wait and see how the bottom continues to hold up. I know one thing for sure. A bilge pump installation is next. I haven’t taken on any water the few times I’ve been out except for what I think came from waves etc. I’ve been running the 40 hp. at wot on a lake and adjusting, also checking prop set up etc. So it’s had some rides a little rough. I should have already had a bilge pump in it. Thanks again.

If you are using it in freshwater, the bare metal is not a problem. You might want to wait until next winter & flip the boat so you can do the whole thing.