1985 johnson 185

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bign0703

Reaction score
Ok guys, I know someone has had this issue.

My friend has an 85 johnson 185. He bought it last year and brought it over today to help him work on it but I'm completely stumped! We put a stator, cdi box, rebuilt carbs, replaced a couple coils that weren't firing, and fuel lines on motor.

Motor ran like brand new on hose. He took it to the lake and it wouldn't idle or rev up hardly. Brought it back and found the entire right side wasn't firing so I swapped both power packs for good ones I had. Took it back to the water and I went with him, still the same, sputters, bogs, will barely run.

Swapped tanks out to mine and bam fired right up, revved great, took a load under power. He cut it off wanting to try his again and it barely ran then started pouring fuel from the carbs like a float was stuck. So we swapped them again and now this thing won't hardly start. I turned the primer solenoid some and it cleared right up then ran for a minute and went right back to sputtering and dying. I pulled plugs and none were fouled. Finally we ran out of light just now.

So anyone have any idea or a lead? I have 1 new fuel pump and 2 used ones off a running motor, a fuel primer solenoid, and a few other parts laying around but trying not to throw the kitchen sink at it. I don't have a barrel deep enough to run it at home and it's 8 miles to the closest small ramp but it's a 26ft toon so not easy to just spin around at the ramp while working on it.

Thanks yall

Finally got it! Replaced all of the fuel solenoid lines and removed the contraption they had for an internal filter under the hood and fired right up to a bad carb base gasket. Gonna build some new ones tomorrow and should be set to go!

Bign0703 said:
Finally got it! Replaced all of the fuel solenoid lines and removed the contraption they had for an internal filter under the hood and fired right up to a bad carb base gasket. Gonna build some new ones tomorrow and should be set to go!

Do what now?

Pappy said:
What contraption??

Had multiple barbed ended connecting different style and sizes of lines. It was like a line had broke and instead of fixing them someone put barbs in place. This was on fuel lines and the primer solenoid lines

Latest posts