1986 16' Grumman V-Hull Mod/Restore | DUCK BOAT *PIC HEAVY*

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326652#p326652 said:
hercdrvrwo » Yesterday, 8:40 pm[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326541#p326541 said:
BigTerp » 19 Aug 2013, 08:39[/url]"]Looking good man =D>

I like the recessed mount for your control panel. Thought about doing something similar for protection purposes, but I didn't. Might need to down the road if my panel starts getting beat up.

Yeah, Since I am not going to be reusing my tall big blind, opting for a laydown style blind in the boat -- I thought it would be best to save myself a few inches -- when I get done with the boat and start working on the blind I will show you want I am talking about but basically -- I saved myself ~ 4 inches of clearance when I lay down in the boat.

Thanks for checking it out!

That makes sense. I was trying to keep things as open as possible as well. I don't hunt out of my boat, but wanted as much room as possible for shuffling around the boat with waders and heavy jackets on. The open floor is also nice for decoy bags, blind bags, guns, etc. I was up on my boat the other day when I was installing my seat bases. It's amazing how much larger it seems without the middle bench.

Terp

That was one of my big concerns when designing my boat -- in the front I made the room between the front bench seat and the bow bench seat a decoy storage area...it in the hold under the front deck. I can fit 4 dozen decoys in there -- it doesn't have a floor. So water and mud can drain to the back -- I should be able to hose out the hold too with no worries. My Gun Storage box should hold guns and the camp stove for sausage and eggs in the blind. My camo netting should fit in the storage area forward of the gun box, and then my blind bag stuff should fit under the aft seat and then things I don't want to get wet like my first aid kit etc will go in the side electrical & console box.

I shouldn't have much to block the way on my boat...Once the boat is built I plan to do a youtube video on a walk through. I will show you want I am talking about then!

Cheers
Herc

Got my aft deck "Goop'd" up! SHould be ready for install this weekend. Also got my last big buy in the mail. 4x TH Marine 11 x 15 Hatches. I ordered "Dark Grey" -- but there isn't anything Dark about them -- anyone have any luck painting hatches? I would assume its like painting plastic -- it will work for a little bit but then shed the paint. I know Krylon has rattle cans for plastics but its all high gloss and I need something subdued. I might just have to buy more hydroturf and put hydroturf on the hatch lids.

Thoughts anyone?

Krylon does have flat, but the colors are limited. I've had great success with Krylon on plastic. i used it on the plastic wheel well covers on my truck. Just be a matter of finding the color you want. When I was considering going the plastic hatch route it was suggested to get some sort of cleaner/degresser/striper for plastic before painting. I don't remember exactly what it was though. But it was supposed to take the "sheen" off the plastic and give your primer something to adhere to.

Thx Terp -- anyone have an experience with hatches?? Is it even worth it and should I return the hatches?

Cheers
Herc

That is the same primer I used on my ATV under Krylon "Camouflage" paint to prevent the paint from peeling off. Worked very well.
I scuffed up the plastic with 220 to give the primer something to grip to.
It's held up for two deer seasons of hard use.

Latest posts